F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > DWS vs Michelin A/S 3
proTUNING Freaks

11-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
clemsondds
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

DWS vs Michelin A/S 3

Hey everyone, I looked and didn't see a thread specific to this. Can anyone recommend tires for year round use? I live in NC. I expect a 2-5 days of icy conditions, so not a massive amount, but I would like something that does ok in the winter conditions. I am leasing and will take off the run flats and then replace them once the lease is over. Anyway, if you could give me your recommendations on what you would do, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

Last edited by clemsondds; 01-12-2015 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Squiden
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

I'm in the same boat (minus the lease ;-), with the 19" wheels. I've had great success with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my Subaru, and they happen to come in the right size. I figure I'd go that route with a Porsche-like goop patch kit. Since I get my 435gc in December, I'll be looking to swap immediately... Why BMW doesn't make A/S tires as part of the xDrive package is beyond me. :-p

Speaking of which, if anyone is in need of some new, stock 19" run-flats for cheap, let me know. :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiden
I'm in the same boat (minus the lease ;-), with the 19" wheels. I've had great success with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my Subaru, and they happen to come in the right size. I figure I'd go that route with a Porsche-like goop patch kit. Since I get my 435gc in December, I'll be looking to swap immediately... Why BMW doesn't make A/S tires as part of the xDrive package is beyond me. :-p

Speaking of which, if anyone is in need of some new, stock 19" run-flats for cheap, let me know. :-)
They do if you get 18s....

To the OP I would look at the new pilot sport all seasons supposed to be damn good dry weather handling with decent traction in snow/ice. Check out the tire racks comparison test with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I'm doing the same thing with my F34. The DWS are the best way to go, but make sure the ratings are the same. In my case, the fronts and rears are different speed ratings in the DWS, so it was suggested not to use them (same with the Pilot A/S3). Tire Rack recommended the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2, but I'm not thrilled about running Korean tires (or anything else), so I'll probably keep looking.

What size wheels are you using and are you looking to stick with run flats or not?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
I'm doing the same thing with my F34. The DWS are the best way to go, but make sure the ratings are the same. In my case, the fronts and rears are different speed ratings in the DWS, so it was suggested not to use them (same with the Pilot A/S3). Tire Rack recommended the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2, but I'm not thrilled about running Korean tires (or anything else), so I'll probably keep looking.

What size wheels are you using and are you looking to stick with run flats or not?
I've been using DWS tires on my BMWs for years. Highly recommend.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
clemsondds
Private
Rep

thank you for your thoughts. Has anyone had any experience comparing the Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra High Performance All-Season to the Michelin Pilot A/S3? Any other thoughts? My order of importance is handling>noise>weather performance. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

One vote for the DWS. I had them on my E90 and they were great. I can't wait until these cheap chinese tires I have on my 19s wear out so I can put a set of DWSs on the car.
      01-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
Eyenerd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi GC and 2012 3.5 X3

How does the DWS compare to Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position(Ultra High Performance All-Season) ?

I was going to get the Potenza's until I saw this thread ..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
clemsondds
Private
Rep

I really want to hear from someone with the A/S 3 tires. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
I have the A/S 3 on my F30 but not much winter use feedback as I swap to winter tires since I have a RWD car. Too cold here to use all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
TBolts10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 F30

Quote:
I went with the hankook ventus S1 nobles right around the same time my dad went with the A/S 3's on his X1. Honestly I prefer the S1 Nobles and they are cheaper. They are very, very good tires and I am extremely sensitive to tires. We both agreed that they are at least AS good as the A/S 3's, but you can't go wrong with either imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
I have had DWS and am now running A/S 3 tires in winter and there really is no comparison between the 2. If your primary concern is some decent dry pavement performance in all temps BUT excellent snow traction DWS is the only way to go.

A/S 3 tires really shine on dry pavement in colder temps. The A/S 3 feels much more like summer rubber than the DWS tires. On the DWS I always felt a really delayed turn in time. Turn the wheel and a few ticks later the tire catches up. I kind of compare the DWS tires to riding on marshmallows. Not a bad thing and the soft rubber is amazing in the snow.

I live in Ohio and swap the A/S 3's in during the winter months. Last year we had one of the worst winters on the books and I got by just fine with the A/S 3 rubber. Never felt I needed something more. I absolutely love the A/S 3 tires for daily driving in the winter.

If I had to pick a year around tire (I still swap in summer rubber for most of the year) for my climate the A/S 3 would be it in a heart beat. If I lived somewhere that saw snow on the ground for several days each month I might lean more towards the DWS rubber. I still think either are the best non RFT UHPAS tires out there.

Oh and I'm driving a RWD 335i MSport on staggered rubber if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
MBT
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Xdrive

I'm running the as3's and they aren't that great in the snow and ice. They feel great in low temps and clear roads however. I've been tending to lock up at stop signs in the snow and ice which has been annoying but not the end of the world. I don't have much experience during warmer months on them but judging how they been on clear roads, I doubt I'll be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyenerd View Post
How does the DWS compare to Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position(Ultra High Performance All-Season) ?

I was going to get the Potenza's until I saw this thread ..
You live in northern Virginia, so I guess you get occasional moderate snowfalls. I would not drive the RE970AS in any kind of snow over 1/2" or even on dry roads in freezing temperatures, or especially if slippery. Very dangerous. Want proof?--see here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...r.jsp?ttid=177

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler20c View Post
I went with the hankook ventus S1 nobles right around the same time my dad went with the A/S 3's on his X1. Honestly I prefer the S1 Nobles and they are cheaper. They are very, very good tires and I am extremely sensitive to tires. We both agreed that they are at least AS good as the A/S 3's, but you can't go wrong with either imo.
You live in Tampa where it never/hardly ever snows or freezes so the S1 Noble2 is a fine choice. I have them on my RWD 328d and live in Massachusetts and these tires are a disaster in the snow. I would sell them tomorrow for dedicated performance winters if my car wasn't on its way to Santa Fe as we speak on an auto transport (because my wife and I are moving there on Thursday). Want proof?--see here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...r.jsp?ttid=173 As a matter of fact, I will probably sell them even in very dry Santa Fe because of the common occurrence of sub-freezing temperatures in winter.
      01-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #15
alphapunk2
Private
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 328i

use michelin a/s 3~~~~
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #16
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335x with m package

I had both tires and live in ny. Occasional snow fall. I love the Michelin tires. The dsw were very non responsive. The Michelin are a perfect combo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #17
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Last week we had about 1" of snow. I was shocked at how bad the stock Potenza S001 RFTs were. I could barely climb a slight grade and stopping was nearly forever. I honestly thought that "mixed performance" meant all-season. I'm glad I didn't' find out in a more expensive way. Selling an AWD car with summer tires is a bit nuts. Anyway, I didn't want to get dedicated snows so I had MPS A/S 3s installed. I've got the 19s on my car. Drove home last night in 3" of snow and to work today during freezing rain. Tremendous improvement! And a compromise I can live with. I don't think I'd have these all year with a RWD but with AWD I think they are fine in moderate snow. I haven't had a chance to play with them on dry pavement since there has been none yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #18
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
Last week we had about 1" of snow. I was shocked at how bad the stock Potenza S001 RFTs were. I could barely climb a slight grade and stopping was nearly forever. I honestly thought that "mixed performance" meant all-season. I'm glad I didn't' find out in a more expensive way. Selling an AWD car with summer tires is a bit nuts. Anyway, I didn't want to get dedicated snows so I had MPS A/S 3s installed. I've got the 19s on my car. Drove home last night in 3" of snow and to work today during freezing rain. Tremendous improvement! And a compromise I can live with. I don't think I'd have these all year with a RWD but with AWD I think they are fine in moderate snow. I haven't had a chance to play with them on dry pavement since there has been none yet.
Wow did you get lucky not damaging your car!! Summer tire on even a hint of frozen stuff can be a disaster.

I run the A/S3 as my winter tire on a RWD 335i and they are fine. Not great in the frozen stuff but manageable. But I in no way am expecting amazing snow traction from these tires. That is far from their mission statement.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #19
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Wow did you get lucky not damaging your car!! Summer tire on even a hint of frozen stuff can be a disaster.

I run the A/S3 as my winter tire on a RWD 335i and they are fine. Not great in the frozen stuff but manageable. But I in no way am expecting amazing snow traction from these tires. That is far from their mission statement.
Agree. Could have been a disaster. I have summer tires on my Boxster, but I don't drive it unless the roads are clear. When it's below freezing, they skip at parking lot speeds when the steering wheel is turned more than about 20 degrees. When starting from a red light, the tires spin unless I am really careful. I really don't drive it in cold weather because of that. On the 435 it wasn't nearly that bad probably because of the AWD. Again, I'm glad I found out before I hit anything.
Appreciate 0