E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!! Transmission mechatronic sealing lock

11-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!! Transmission mechatronic sealing lock

So im changing my transmission fluid right now and i changed my mechatronic sleeve but it wont lock for reason? Has this happens to you guys? If yes what can i do to lock it
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump anyone?
please help me
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yes, happened to me as well. The reason why the lock isn't going back into place is because you're not pushing the new sleeve far enough forward.

What I ended up doing was wedging a custom cut 2x4 in there and tapping it in (using quite a bit of force) with a rubber hammer. Fortunately for me, I had the driveshaft, heat shields, etc. all out of the way so that made it easier, but it was still difficult to drive that new sleeve in there nonetheless.

While you're at it, I also suggest swapping out your transmission mounts as well. At ~60k miles I went with OEM E46 M3 mounts and it made a big difference
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I'm ashamed to say it, but I had to pry mine in with a screwdriver in order to fully seat it. I couldn't get enough leverage with all of the other crap in the way to press it in by hand, I tried for about an hour. Took just a second to pry in. I checked it a few weeks later and no leaking.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I'm ashamed to say it, but I had to pry mine in with a screwdriver in order to fully seat it. I couldn't get enough leverage with all of the other crap in the way to press it in by hand, I tried for about an hour. Took just a second to pry in. I checked it a few weeks later and no leaking.
Correct...I've heard of peeps using pry bars, etc. to wedge in there between the sleeve and the transmission itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks for the reply guys! but yes omg that thing was PITA!!!! like i can feel the click so i thought it was secure but no......had to pry thing even MORE!! i even took mechatronic off because of that! i mean i had to anyways to change out the transmission adapter lol

also after the fluid change, the car shift alot smoother but still have a little jerk at 1-2 and 2-3 shift.. has anyone had this problem as well and got it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinLee09 View Post
thanks for the reply guys! but yes omg that thing was PITA!!!! like i can feel the click so i thought it was secure but no......had to pry thing even MORE!! i even took mechatronic off because of that! i mean i had to anyways to change out the transmission adapter lol

also after the fluid change, the car shift alot smoother but still have a little jerk at 1-2 and 2-3 shift.. has anyone had this problem as well and got it fixed?
Did you do the tranny reset adaptation? Search in the forum.

What fluid did you use? Me too,

I get this rough shifting only at rare times. I starting to suspect is becuase I used the Castrol fluid instead of the OEM ZF fluid Someone here recommended and used it and no issues reported...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Did you do the tranny reset adaptation? Search in the forum.

What fluid did you use? Me too,

I get this rough shifting only at rare times. I starting to suspect is becuase I used the Castrol fluid instead of the OEM ZF fluid Someone here recommended and used it and no issues reported...
i did do trans. adaptation reset via DIS not that bs pedal thing. At first car was rought but after driving a while car got really smooth (exapt 1-2 2-3 its got better than it used to be though).

i've used FEBI Bilstein no.34608 (zf and m1375.4 approved according to there web) instead of shell or ZF fluid. when did you change out your fluid? i believe castrol no longer support our tranny.(http://www.febi.com/fileadmin/user_u...B_internet.pdf)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #9
Chief_Bimmer_Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F34 328i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
That is how to mess up the mechatronic pins.

On the sleeve are two bumps. These are there to align the plugs insertion guide (the little pointy piece inside the seal that seats at about 7-8 o'clock).

The housing has a small mark on it next to the collar.
Orientate the seal so both bumps point down and insert the seal with the near bump aligned to the mark.

It will slide in without much force.

Jamming it in risks ramming the plug insertion guide right into the pins permanently damaging the mechatronic.

first image is the inside, kinda blurry, of a correct install.

second image shows the nibs or guide bumps

third is approx orientation with the closer nib lines up with the mark on the transmission housing

also note this is the sleeve that bent the pin. the nib is bent and the plastic ring above it had a piece cracked off
Attached Images

Appreciate 0