E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Look What Happen With My Fuel Pump!! 2010 E93 328i Bmw Needs To Do Recall On This Iss

11-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Paulk90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 328i convertible

Question Look What Happen With My Fuel Pump!! 2010 E93 328i Bmw Needs To Do Recall On This Iss

So I came home and parked my car. Later came out to start it but it cranked but wont fire up. So checked everything around on forums and asked around. Had a feeling it was the fuel pump.

Its a 2010 BMW 328i e93 Convertable. It currently has 60k.

So I hired a mechanic to check the car. He went through it and figured its the pump. I picked a local one used but $100 better then over 500! lol

then I tried to start it again it did but after like 5 min it died again.

Then I Swapped it out. when connecting the wires ground and positive on the pump it self. The ground one kept coming off. I made it more tighter fit and put it on again but it would slide off easy. So then I remembered that in the begging when I opened the cover up the black wire came off very easy but the positive one was stuck. I had to pry it off with a screw driver. So that made me think that that negative was twiking and thats why it would stop working.

So then I looked at my old fuel pump and noticed it was melted already around the ground. Also then noticed that the ground wire had melted plastic on it. So check this out I uploaded the images off the pump on the forum let me know what you think. Is bmw responsible for this SH!!! job?? Because my car could have exploded because of this.. It already melted it.

My car does not have BMW Warranty...

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Paulk90
Private
Rep

I have everything saved. Im thinking of calling bmw main office and showing this to them. This is fuel pump that has the plastic been melted while its submerged in gas!!!!. If its gets that hot to melt the plastic and plastic on the wire it could have exploded my ride! And I just bought some new rims........
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Paulk90
Private
Rep

I bought the car with about 40-50k. so it should have never been replaced before. So this points figures at the BMW CERTIFIED MECHANICS!!! they call them......
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

That looks like a backyard mechanic hack job. Someone's been messing with your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

From the poor grammar in your write up I can't discern what actually happened other than the original pump failed and the used replacement pump failed as well, and you are trying to blame it on a BMW mechanic, or the mechanic you hired? Not sure....

But rest assured, over-heated wires bathed in gasoline wouldn't explode. Gasoline vapors explode; not liquid gasoline. Plus, you need oxygen for a fire. To create fire you need fuel, oxygen, and heat, which in your case there was only two of the three present in the gas tank.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Paulk90
Private
Rep

What makes you think this pump was changed out before? When I opened it everything was sitting the way it should. All wires are original nothing was changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
From the poor grammar in your write up I can't discern what actually happened other than the original pump failed and the used replacement pump failed as well, and you are trying to blame it on a BMW mechanic, or the mechanic you hired? Not sure....

But rest assured, over-heated wires bathed in gasoline wouldn't explode. Gasoline vapors explode; not liquid gasoline. Plus, you need oxygen for a fire. To create fire you need fuel, oxygen, and heat, which in your case there was only two of the three present in the gas tank.
Appreciate 0