E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lci question from a novice..

11-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
Shaun_1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320D sport plus touring

Lci question from a novice..

Hey everyone, I have been racking my brains for a while now after I have seen a few threads about certain things and hoping someone can shed some light in my quest to learn more.

So far I am led to believe my car 2011 bmw320d is Lci this is simply because of the grills & if what I read was right a silver piece on the cupholders....(could be someone taking the Michael..)

A lot of lci's I have seen have I drive fitted, mine does not? Which leads me to my next question of I have seen numerous people saying CCC this & CIC that what is is CIC & CCC??

With regards to audio upgrades, how do I know what my car has, I know it is quite apparent if it's the alpine but what difference is logic 7? & is there any other upgrades there could be?

Bmw 313 wheels, these wheels are beautiful & hopefully I find a decent set somewhere, people have been saying about milking, now I take it they do not produce milk for my morning coffee which is a disappointment in my eyes & feel abit mislead by "milking" but I am assuming this has something to do with diamond cut and when salt gets working on the rim (kind of like my old Vxr) would powder coating be a way to get rid of this issue or would it not be advisable?

Sorry if this is really silly but I just can't seem to find the answers & I like to know as much as possible about something I have an interest in.

Thank you for any help at all.

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Just out so apologies for any typos ...

Ccc is old Satnav unit
cic is the newer satnav and comes with the 8 button controller in the centre console.

That a one way of telling the difference. Another way to tell the difference is if on your home menu whether you have a list of options one below each other (Cic) or you hAve 4 options north south east and West (ccc).

As far as audio is concerned... how many speakers do you have on your rear panel/doors?

Base is what is the synced spec. .. pretty shocking tbh bmw reAlly let themselves down in this department. Base consists of 6 speakers ... 2 front door, 2 underseats and 2 rear Q panels.

A really good plug and play option is alpine retrofit kit which many have done and I've heard it personally. Very clean and good sounding set of speakers. Often do pop up in classified here but csn be had from bmw directly for a decent price. Bminiparts also offer most bmw parts (genuine) with a more favourable price than stealers. Other wise your options are mainly unlimited if you chose to go aftermarket ... but Pl mounting depth is the issue so before buying just check with us on here what speakers and model number you're looking at and I'm sure we can help.

Focal kr100 k2 are great drop in solution speakers if you want aftermarket thag packs more punch but you'll then need to get an amp to power these. Then you're talking a diff league also if you're changing to aftermarket speakers and amps it's a good idea to lok into a line out converter or coding the car to HIFI or getting a more complex processor.... all these things are effectively the flatten the signal from your oem HU so the sound that's transmitted is much clearer - typicslly thats what hifi coding allows for. A processor then allows you to ... you guessed it... process the sound for a greater experience and really brings to life the sound. This then becomes a relatively expensive affair if all you're looking for a moderate upgrade from base stereo.

Have a search but feel free to ask away. I was in your position 3 years ago so happy to help with my limited knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

2011 is LCI Yes

CCC is old style navigation. pre 2009. Late 2009+ have CIC which is new and improved navigation with loads of new features and better menus.

313 are mainly for E92 i think. some do have them on E90. what do you have on your car at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
Shaun_1990
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for both of the replies I am also out at the moment but figured it is rude to ignore! Sorry cannot reply in detail to you AWbimmer & soon as home I will.

I have mv3s at the moment but love the look of the 313 on an e91 cupraraj.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_1990 View Post
Thanks for both of the replies I am also out at the moment but figured it is rude to ignore! Sorry cannot reply in detail to you AWbimmer & soon as home I will.

I have mv3s at the moment but love the look of the 313 on an e91 cupraraj.
i am getting 313's soon from forum member.

I HAVE mv3's too at the moment.

they are expensive for genuine set. i went with replicas and will letyou know how they are once there on..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
DuckySpud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring

Quote:
if what I read was right a silver piece on the cupholders....(could be someone taking the Michael..)
That's true, the pre LCI are just plain black haha. They also have a different start button (different shapes silver trim), different light switch (pre LCI is all black, no silver trim) and radio knobs (again, all black on pre LCI) lol.

Quote:
With regards to audio upgrades, how do I know what my car has, I know it is quite apparent if it's the alpine but what difference is logic 7? & is there any other upgrades there could be?
If you check your car, if the trim on the front doors (near the wing mirrors) does not have any speakers, then you will have the base system.

If you have those speakers, but no speaker in the centre of the dash (behind where the iDrive screen goes), then you have the hifi system.

If you have that centre speaker, then you will have the Logic 7/Harmon Kardon system.

However, if the speaker grills are see through and the speakers appear to be yellow, then you have the individual audio system.

AWBimmer has already mentioned upgrade options

Quote:
I am assuming this has something to do with diamond cut and when salt gets working on the rim (kind of like my old Vxr) would powder coating be a way to get rid of this issue or would it not be advisable.
That is indeed what milking is, as it is just laquer over bare metal salt and grim get through quite easily and start to corrode the metal. This leads to a milky white mark, hence the name.

You could get the wheels refurbished and get them powder coated, but this really takes awayfrom the wheels and I'm my opinion, doesn't look as good as the diamond cut finish. It should stop any issues with the corrosion though.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Shaun_1990
Private First Class
Rep

Finally back home when you expect a day to go easy it never happens.. Well sounds like my car has the base sound system & looks like there could be a speaker port in the dash but could also be a big old vent.. With regards to upgrades is there an easier one to upgrade which does not include a mass amount of components.

Thanks for all of the replies been really helpful, I see what you mean bat taking the effect away from the wheels. Looks like I'm in for a tough one..

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
bimmaguy
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 730d M Sport

313 are expensive even second hand fetch over a grand on fleabay.

but for me genuine 313 are leagues apart from 313 reps.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckySpud View Post

If you check your car, if the trim on the front doors (near the wing mirrors) does not have any speakers, then you will have the base system.

If you have those speakers, but no speaker in the centre of the dash (behind where the iDrive screen goes), then you have the hifi system.

If you have that centre speaker, then you will have the Logic 7/Harmon Kardon system.

However, if the speaker grills are see through and the speakers appear to be yellow, then you have the individual audio system.
What is the difference between the individual and the HK systems? Is one deemed to be better than the other for any reason?

Sorry to op for thread jack but thought it isn't off topic too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
DuckySpud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
What is the difference between the individual and the HK systems? Is one deemed to be better than the other for any reason?
I believe the individual audio system just users higher quality parts and is gives a slightly clearer sound. However I think it's a system for true audiophiles, I'm not sure I'd notice much difference myself lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:48 AM   #11
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckySpud View Post
I believe the individual audio system just users higher quality parts and is gives a slightly clearer sound. However I think it's a system for true audiophiles, I'm not sure I'd notice much difference myself lol.
Nice! You learn something every day. Another thing to look out for on the list when I change
Appreciate 0