THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Lighting Setting

11-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Lighting Setting

Has anyone figured out the difference in the "Lighting" Setting

It says Sports or Classic

Whats the diff, I haven't noticed
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
The LED accent lights in the top console, and at the interior door handles and on the floor change colors based on the mode.

Sport = White LED lighting
Classic = BMW classic orange LED lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
Has anyone figured out the difference in the "Lighting" Setting

It says Sports or Classic

Whats the diff, I haven't noticed
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

MINI for years has offered a wide range of choices for interior accent lighting (standard, by the way). In fact, you can even smoothly change into a different color with the effect of mixing the colors. You can choose red, orange, blue, yellow, purple or white (I might be missing one.) Odd that BMW gives you just two choices and puts it in an option package.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had a second-gen Mini and had these color changing LEDs and while they were nice, I can kinda understand why BMW doesn't have all the colors/shades. I think some may honestly feel it a bit tacky, especially in a BMW. Fits in perfectly on a Mini but BMW has a slightly different feel IMO and these two colors compliment the interior well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
MINI for years has offered a wide range of choices for interior accent lighting (standard, by the way). In fact, you can even smoothly change into a different color with the effect of mixing the colors. You can choose red, orange, blue, yellow, purple or white (I might be missing one.) Odd that BMW gives you just two choices and puts it in an option package.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
And on a 228 no Preminum or tech package just changes colors on the two little pin lights in the overhead console. No door handle or floor lighting
      11-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
And on a 228 no Preminum or tech package just changes colors on the two little pin lights in the overhead console. No door handle or floor lighting
I swear thats all that changes on my m235! Need to pay closer attention
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
I have a 228 with Premium and Tech package and I couldn't find any difference between Sport and Classic interior lighting color when I toggled the settings last night in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Perhaps, but nobody is forcing you to use them. If they seem tacky, one can choose to keep them on the two standard BMW colors. I'm just saying that they would be nice to have if you want them and it's curious that they're standard on a car that costs have as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
I had a second-gen Mini and had these color changing LEDs and while they were nice, I can kinda understand why BMW doesn't have all the colors/shades. I think some may honestly feel it a bit tacky, especially in a BMW. Fits in perfectly on a Mini but BMW has a slightly different feel IMO and these two colors compliment the interior well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I have a 228 with Premium and Tech package and I couldn't find any difference between Sport and Classic interior lighting color when I toggled the settings last night in the garage.
UPDATE: My son, who has an X1, pointed to the two miniscule LEDs which are the only thing which change from white to orange with the Sport vs Classic setting. What a waste of engineering time and software code! This is the first thing I've found on the car which deserves the label, "ridiculous"!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Weird, I guess it's different in the 235i?

I'll double check in an hour or so but I have LEDs in the overhead console, in the footwells, in the rear light area (I believe), and on the interior door handles.

I also have the ambient light slider (stock, not coded) and the LEDs are very noticeable when you crank the brightness up to full.

Quote:
UPDATE: My son, who has an X1, pointed to the two miniscule LEDs which are the only thing which change from white to orange with the Sport vs Classic setting. What a waste of engineering time and software code! This is the first thing I've found on the car which deserves the label, "ridiculous"!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I'll double check in an hour or so but I have LEDs in the overhead console, in the footwells, in the rear light area (I believe), and on the interior door handles.

I also have the ambient light slider (stock, not coded) and the LEDs are very noticeable when you crank the brightness up to full.
I have those lights as well, but they are always white, regardless of Sport vs. Classic setting. The only changeable ones for my car are two tiny lights in the center overhead console. Do all your lights change color?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 228i M Sport

I was just playing with this the other night while waiting at the airport for my wife. I have a non-premium, non-tech, M Sport 228i, and my lighting changes the center console and the footwells at least. I didn't think to look at door handles or back seats. I'll try to remember to check tonight when I leave work.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:

I have those lights as well, but they are always white, regardless of Sport vs. Classic setting. The only changeable ones for my car are two tiny lights in the center overhead console. Do all your lights change color?
And the light above the cup holders under the radio... You gotta stick your hand under it to see it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So for sure just checked:

In my 2015 M235i xDrive:

There are LEDs in the front top console (ceiling lighting, above cup holders) and rear ceiling lighting, interior door handles and foot wells. They all change when I switch between sport and classic and I can control their brightness from the iDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
And the light above the cup holders under the radio... You gotta stick your hand under it to see it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
I have the same but I cannot even find that setting. Under Settings/lighting I can only changethe brightness of the interior lights...not the color. I do not see sport or classic or ambient settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #16
AWcoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 240i xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M240  [0.00]
2015 BMW 235xi  [0.00]
In classic mode (orange) on my 2015 235xi, I have orange in the doors and all the other areas except the footwells, which remain white when I open the door. I don't think you can change those....
2009 BMW 328xi Alpine White-Traded
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I tried it tonight and classic "amber" is default from my delivery. I switched it to sport "white" and the only lights i could find that changed were the two overhead LED's and the LED's in each door located above the door latch handle. Are there others? I have not found them yet
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #18
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What packages/options do you have on your car?

As I said on my MY2015 which has all the packages, I have LEDs that change in the two top ceiling lights, the footwells, and the door handles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
I tried it tonight and classic "amber" is default from my delivery. I switched it to sport "white" and the only lights i could find that changed were the two overhead LED's and the LED's in each door located above the door latch handle. Are there others? I have not found them yet
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
What packages/options do you have on your car?

As I said on my MY2015 which has all the packages, I have LEDs that change in the two top ceiling lights, the footwells, and the door handles.
2014 prem/tech.....
Shit didn't think to check the footwells since i was on a trip back from the mtns...am prob the same
Appreciate 0