E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How can I start my car/Unlatch the Hood?

11-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
How can I start my car/Unlatch the Hood?

I got into a car accident recently in my 2007 e92 112k miles on it. I rear ended someone and there doesn't seem to be any engine damage at all, all that happened is the front bumper went inwards. The airbag popped out and now I basically have to take everything off the car, my engine mods especially but also my trunk and my coils. The problem is the car doesn't start anymore since the accident, it says passenger restraint system malfunction and doesn't ignite at all. Thats one problem, but also I can't pop the hood. The latch basically got bent inwards so its impossible to open it with the manual latch opener inside the car. Is there any other way I can get the hood open? Either that or has this ever happened before, is there any way I can get the car started again so I could drive it to a shop to help me?
      11-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

I'm guessing since you want to take off all your mods, that means the car is totalled and you want to cash out the mods? If that's the case, then just force the hood open with a crowbar or something. Who cares if you damage it more?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance
I got into a car accident recently in my 2007 e92 112k miles on it. I rear ended someone and there doesn't seem to be any engine damage at all, all that happened is the front bumper went inwards. The airbag popped out and now I basically have to take everything off the car, my engine mods especially but also my trunk and my coils. The problem is the car doesn't start anymore since the accident, it says passenger restraint system malfunction and doesn't ignite at all. Thats one problem, but also I can't pop the hood. The latch basically got bent inwards so its impossible to open it with the manual latch opener inside the car. Is there any other way I can get the hood open? Either that or has this ever happened before, is there any way I can get the car started again so I could drive it to a shop to help me?
first off.....I strongly recommend you taking the car to a body shop.

my way of opening the hood.
take bumper off....rip it if you have to avoid damaging hood.
2nd....you have to pull the rad support far enough and then easy back to get the latch to release.

also car is not going to start for some time now.
you need these replaced and codes cleared.

1. all blown air bags.
2. all seat belt buckles. (where ever someone sat during accident...front seats only)....this is the female part.
3. you need a new battery disconnect cable.....if you go to auto wreckers....you need it from a car that has not had any airbags deployed.
basically your batteries main cable has a safety disconnect in the event of an airbag deployment.
4. after all repairs.... you need to clear all codes....its not a DME code and might need to be done by a knowledgeable person.

again.....take it to a body shop.
if your airs deployed....and good won't open....you have more damage then you think.

DN
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

ohhh and get it towed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

you may have blown off the battery connector it is designed to disconnect the battery in case of a crash.
Appreciate 0