E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Went to the indy shop today....your opinion please

11-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

Went to the indy shop today....your opinion please

I have an '08 328i with just over 90k on the clock. Recently, the red exclamation point popped up.....systems check was clear, and a scan from o'reilly autoparts showed no codes. The car also said service -320, so i figured i'd take it in for a look since i needed an oil change anyway.

So they change the oil and give the car a mechanical look-over. They tell me everything looks pretty good. My tires are almost shot (i knew this), and my valve cover gasket was leaking a little. He said it wasnt too bad, but id probably want to replace it at the next oil change. I paid, and was on my way.

Once i got back in the car, i notice the "!" is still on. WTF, i thought. Went back in there to ask about it and he said it is due for an electronic module inspection(?) or something like that. He said they run a system check on all the electronic modules (power windows, seats, A/C, etc...). They could do it and shut the light off, but it'd cost ~$157. He said it wasnt anything to worry about and said if the light isnt too annoying, he wouldnt spend the $$ on it himself.

Questions:
1. Do you know what this module inspection service is? Should it be done?
2. If my oil gasket is leaking a little, should i replace those ASAP? I may try doing it myself (BIL is a mechanic), or i may bite the bullet and have them do the valve cover/ oil pan gaskets and change the spark plugs and be done with it.

Im not sure what to think about this visit. They werent trying to "sell" me on any services, but they were pretty vague about the red "!" which is why i brought it in.

Their shop is Dinan certified and they work on Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc... so i assume they know there stuff. Shop was very clean with some nice cars in the back.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

If you have a message in the dash, you can read the ccid code and get more info on what is meant there:

http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes.html

Also the user's manual has somethign to say about it.

As for you leaks, your mechanic assesment is probably correct. If the leak is not major, it is not a show stopper and it can wait until you have the time to do it. You will have to do it at some point, if you want to be rid of it now it's fine too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
If you have a message in the dash, you can read the ccid code and get more info on what is meant there:

http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes.html

Also the user's manual has somethign to say about it.

As for you leaks, your mechanic assesment is probably correct. If the leak is not major, it is not a show stopper and it can wait until you have the time to do it. You will have to do it at some point, if you want to be rid of it now it's fine too.
Thanks!

It says CC-ID 41...........looks like "service due".

So, does this just mean a general inspection? I had my oil changed today, recently changed all four pads/rotors, had brake fluid and micro-filters replaced by dealer <1yr ago.

I know i need to replace the gaskets and plugs soon, but other than that i should be ok to keep driving it, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

I figured out how to shut the light off!!! This forum is GREAT!!

The CC-ID 41 was for service due. All the individual markers (brakes, oil, brake fluid, etc...) come back good and have their intervals set. I shut off the service light by the DIY thread's directions.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

There is a 30,000 mile inspection built into the CBS. It's known around here as the "red-car-on-lift" symbol. It is a general inspection of the vehicle. Since you were at 90,000, that probably the service that was due. It's confusing because when the notification comes up, it's just a red car on lift and no other maintenance item (like oil service). I hope you didn't reset any of the other service intervals when they were not yet due.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Finding an indy you TRUST is crucial. I'm not sure I would go back to this place, from your description.

I'm lucky, I have a great guy literally just down the street. I walk in and bounce ideas off him, and he helps straighten me out. Taking the car in for the interval service, plugs, oil housing filter, and oil change this Friday.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
There is a 30,000 mile inspection built into the CBS. It's known around here as the "red-car-on-lift" symbol. It is a general inspection of the vehicle. Since you were at 90,000, that probably the service that was due. It's confusing because when the notification comes up, it's just a red car on lift and no other maintenance item (like oil service). I hope you didn't reset any of the other service intervals when they were not yet due.
I dont think i did. However, if i DID, shouldnt the CBS system automatically adjust those intervals based on the deterioration of parts?

For example, if i reset the oil service without changing the oil, shouldnt the car notice that the oil is bad via the sensors? My understanding is the sensors are continuously monitoring all those things, not just based on time intervals.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
I dont think i did. However, if i DID, shouldnt the CBS system automatically adjust those intervals based on the deterioration of parts?

For example, if i reset the oil service without changing the oil, shouldnt the car notice that the oil is bad via the sensors? My understanding is the sensors are continuously monitoring all those things, not just based on time intervals.
No, the sensor does not recognize new oil added to the engine after an oil change. The CBS must be reset. Time is only part of the equasion.
Appreciate 0