THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Android (Nexus 5) integration & text/calling questions

10-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
coffeemate
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive

Android (Nexus 5) integration & text/calling questions

Hi everyone,

I've never had phone integration in a car before and have a few questions. I currently have a Nexus 5 phone and will be getting the tech package.

1) Will text messages I receive appear on the nav display? And what about caller id?
2) Can I send text messages using voice without touching my phone?
3) Can make voice calls using voice?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
I have a Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Moto X (2014).

Currently with the Moto X (2014) I can receive text messages, respond to text messages with voice, and make phone calls via voice (this is a BMW system however, and not an Android thing).

Unfortunately, emails and other notifications don't come through at this point.

I'll test the N5 and N6 for you over the weekend and report back. It'll be interesting to see how Android 5.0 (L - Lollipop) affects functionality. I'm really hoping for email support as I get tons of important mail every day.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
indiefan24
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
I have a Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Moto X (2014).

Currently with the Moto X (2014) I can receive text messages, respond to text messages with voice, and make phone calls via voice (this is a BMW system however, and not an Android thing).

Unfortunately, emails and other notifications don't come through at this point.

I'll test the N5 and N6 for you over the weekend and report back. It'll be interesting to see how Android 5.0 (L - Lollipop) affects functionality. I'm really hoping for email support as I get tons of important mail every day.
Already got a hold of a Nexus 6 huh? nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I tested the N6 with the latest version of Android L and it has the same functionality as my Moto X: Telephone and SMS works (you can compose / reply to SMS via voice dictation through Dragon Drive) and you can make and receive phone calls easily. Unfortunately, no email support as of this point.

I also have to check how streaming audio / Pandora / Google Play Music works on the N5 and N6.

Also, while I haven't actually tested the N5 yet, I suspect with Android L, it will perform nearly identically to the N6 but will report back if there are any differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiefan24 View Post
Already got a hold of a Nexus 6 huh? nice!
Yep! I got lucky, I do hardware testing for a living so I'm usually swimming in a sea of new gadgetry
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
coffeemate
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive

Thank you nyeager, I appreciate that!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EBII M235i

I apologize for slightly off topic questions.. but I'm an android user and this is somewhat related!

What can you do with smartphones if you only get the enhanced bluetooth without the tech package? Only stream music? Will google maps voice directions come through as well? I have a Moto X (2014) if it helps.

I'm thinking.. hey.. I have and use Google Maps a lot more than my 328i navi system - maybe skip the tech package on my new m235i and only get enhanced bluetooth and continue to use my phone as before?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you're streaming BT audio, then the Google Maps voice navigation prompts should come through the speakers as well. It will also let you stream music, etc.

I'm a huge tech person and normally use my phone more than anything else, but when I'm in my car, I want everything to 'just work' and having everything integrated into iDrive is ideal for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi View Post
I apologize for slightly off topic questions.. but I'm an android user and this is somewhat related!

What can you do with smartphones if you only get the enhanced bluetooth without the tech package? Only stream music? Will google maps voice directions come through as well? I have a Moto X (2014) if it helps.

I'm thinking.. hey.. I have and use Google Maps a lot more than my 328i navi system - maybe skip the tech package on my new m235i and only get enhanced bluetooth and continue to use my phone as before?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
rti35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

Is anyone else having a terrible experience with connecting their Androids with iDrive?

Is there no Pandora/Spotify integration? I have the tech package and an LG G3.

Also, can't get the BMW connected drive to work to save my life.. the car just isn't recognizing it on the phone. Keeps telling me to "download the BMW Connected App"...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My experiences have been okay...

ConnectedDrive only works via the USB cable connection to the car -- not over BT.

I haven't tested Pandora/Spotify ConnectedDrive with Android as I usually just stream the audio from these applications via BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rti35 View Post
Is anyone else having a terrible experience with connecting their Androids with iDrive?

Is there no Pandora/Spotify integration? I have the tech package and an LG G3.

Also, can't get the BMW connected drive to work to save my life.. the car just isn't recognizing it on the phone. Keeps telling me to "download the BMW Connected App"...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
rti35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
My experiences have been okay...

ConnectedDrive only works via the USB cable connection to the car -- not over BT.

I haven't tested Pandora/Spotify ConnectedDrive with Android as I usually just stream the audio from these applications via BT.
I'm having difficulty getting the car to sync with ConnectedDrive via USB cable. My bluetooth works great; no complaints at all with that. Was kind of hoping there would be Pandora/Spotify support with Android. I know that it's supported with iPhones, but I refuse to switch over to the dark side..
Appreciate 0