E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My car is a riddle and is making me depressed, please help.

10-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
wildthingwood
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

My car is a riddle and is making me depressed, please help.

This is going to be long, so sorry for that, but I have no where else to look for ideas/answers and being a massive car enthusiasts and this my first nice car I am udderly depressed not being able to drive my machine. So I bought a 2007 335i mt6 from a used dealership with 109k miles on it about a month ago, went for a long test drive, clean car fax, drove 400 miles home great. So 1 day after buying it and driving it home (400 miles) something goes terribly wrong. I am not ashamed to say I was mad at the dealer but furious at myself, but I don't think it was their fault and I bought the car "as is" so I don't plan on going after them. Long story short I get it towed to my nearest bmw dealer. They tell me my 2 vacuum lines from the wastegate canisters are blown (not the problem but still weren't that way before) and my plugs and coils need to be replaced (also not the problem). So I already had new plugs and air filter for the car but I also ordered new coils. Install everything myself (not new to maintaining a vehicle and what have you) turn car on it still stumbles like a drunk baby giraffe. So at this point I bring it to "my guy" because he charges a lot less and is somewhat of a friend. They find the o2 sensor is bad and needs to be replaced to further diagnose. I buy it, they replace it, it reads good now. Here's where it gets tricky. Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 have misfire codes and aren't really doing crap. 2 and 3 have injector faults. He swapped a good injector (1) with a bad one (2) and the fault code didn't move with. Here's where I think I know one thing he doesn't, aren't 335i injectors coded specifically to each cylinder and moving them mechanically wouldn't fix them electronically? Sorry if that sounds stupid my sadness clouds my ability to think. Anyways he also "turned off injectors 2, 4 and 6" and nothing changed? I don't know those are his words not mine. So now he tells me it has to go back to the local BMW dealer because it's over his head because he thinks it's something in the harness or ecu and it should be flashed. He said he personally thinks when the o2 went out it shorted something somewhere. I really need my car back firstly because it's my transportation but secondly because cars are my hobby, passion basically my life and it's killing me not having mine. Thank you guys so much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

so first off....you can't move injectors without coding them correctly.
on the other hand....not exactly sure if there would be a difference at low to idle RPMs.

but you do have a miss fire on new Coils and Plugs.

when was the last time intake pobrts were cleaned? Walnut Blasting.
either you are way over due or due again at 100k.

What gas are you using?
if you can do your own injectors and Plugs, you can clean and swap Vanos Solenoid's....look it up.

What Plugs and Coils did you buy?

please answer these questions and relax.

dirty intake ports cause serious miss fires.

get your Guy to use a Bore- Scope to see how much build up there is on the intake ports.
especially the affected ones.

also put the injectors back where they belong....or recode them..
if you just swap plugs and coils and problem stays....its injector or intake port.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

But would dirty intake ports take the car from running great to terrible in a matter of seconds? 93 octane but i have no idea what the previous owner was using but I forgot to mention the plugs looked pretty terrible and I'm probably going to need a valve cover gasket. Bosch coils off of ecstuning and the high hp iridium lasers off of burgers. I'll mention these things to him today my car is still at his shop. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 335i

I did coils and new plugs only a few days ago and although it was great for a little bit, theres still small misfires every now and then.

I'd be willing to bet that you need a carbon cleaning asap of your intake valves. I need one as well, mine are probably horrific.

Also, like above poster said, Injectors need to get coded for these cars. It's stupid, but it is what it is.

What DTC's are you pulling up?

In Winter Mode - Dunlop Wintersport 3D/Sport Edition Wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

I'm not sure I'd have to ask my guy. So it's definitely true that switching injectors wouldn't do anything because of coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthingwood View Post
I'm not sure I'd have to ask my guy. So it's definitely true that switching injectors wouldn't do anything because of coding?
Yep, definitely true.

Find out what DTC's are getting thrown up and go from there.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

My mechanic said if the injector that was bad moved to another cylinder it would have thrown a code, but it didn't. He's saying he thinks it's bad information not necessarily bad parts. Seems like a pretty good diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep

Each injector has to be coded.

Simple as that. When they are moved from cylinder to cylinder, they have to be coded. When they are replaced, they have to be coded.

INPA I believe is the program that you need to use.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645844

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

When one of my injectors went bad it threw misfires on multiple cylinders. I'd say your culprit is injectors, pretty standard on this car. Get some injectors and be done with it.Don't forget to code them as said earlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

I'm probably going to go to the dealer and have them confirm that then put em in. I wish my budget allowed me to just blindly get injectors but I can't.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep

pop off your Intake Manifold too and check out the intake valves. chances are they are gummed up too. Get them cleaned (find a place that does Walnut Blasting). Might as well make your car run 100%

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #12
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

That's hard right now because I cant work on it at the shop it's at right now and if I'm getting it towed it's going to the dealer. I'll get the intake cleaned after unless that is the main source of the problem. But these are helpful tips I can use to narrow what I want looked at on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthingwood
That's hard right now because I cant work on it at the shop it's at right now and if I'm getting it towed it's going to the dealer. I'll get the intake cleaned after unless that is the main source of the problem. But these are helpful tips I can use to narrow what I want looked at on the car.
your intakes are the MAIN source of the problem.

say you change all the injectors and you code them too.... now that is expensive......
now imagine that your problem is still there.

look at performance differences of before and after on this Forum from anyone who has had a walnut blast performed.
this is a very necessary maintenance item at 50k or under.

it will take dealer 1 hour diagnostic to show you pictures of your intake ports.

if symptoms still there, then think about injectors.
not before a walnut blast.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

Ok I'll get the intake done. Just looked at some of the intake threads and OH MY GOD they look terrible and by the way my plugs were mine are probably carboned shut. Im going to clean them myself, can i just do a reset using my gas pedal/ignition after I'm done or how do i go about that?

Still confused on how the intake would take it from running well to crappy with no warning signs?

Last edited by wildthingwood; 10-30-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok I'll get the intake done. Just looked at some of the intake threads and OH MY GOD they look terrible and by the way my plugs were mine are probably carboned shut. Im going to clean them myself, can i just do a reset using my gas pedal/ignition after I'm done or how do i go about that?

Still confused on how the intake would take it from running well to crappy with no warning signs?
if you think your car was running great before a walnut blast.... it will be a day and night difference in performance after it.

get a proper walnut blast.....there is no substitute.
don't cheap out on it.
once you get it done.....then you will see how it could affect your miss fire situation.

no reset required after it.
but you do have to swap back the injector to the original position....or....code it properly.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:00 AM   #16
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

ohhh, plugs don't get carbon shut, they erode.

ohhh and buy any of the following:
BG44K or
Techron from chevron (concentrated)

its a fuel injector cleaner and works really good.
sold by BMW also.

invest in a USB to OBDii cable.

then you can program and do your own diagnosis.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #17
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

I planned on learning how to code and invest in lots of parts but i didn't think the car would break 24 hhours in lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I planned on learning how to code and invest in lots of parts but i didn't think the car would break 24 hhours in lol.
most times the issues of miss fire are when engine is cold.

when oil temp gauge is in the middle.
then you will see less miss fire.

DN
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Sounds exactly like what happened to my friend, he bought his '07 e90 6mt 335i and half way during the 200 mile drive home he had a ton of misfires. He replaced all his injectors and all Sparks and it worked fine after.

Read the codes and work in a methodical manner, take your time and don't freak out.

On '07 6mt,, the old msd80 dme will fry, taking out an entire bank of injectors, and some coils and plugs. This could very likely be your issue if the previous owner did already go through this ordeal. Search in n54 section for 'fried dme'. This happened to me.

Dealer fix is to try replacing all plugs, coils, and injectors first. Then, they move onto the dme.

Finally, you said your vacuum lines to wastegates were torn. Did you replace them? Make sure you also replace all the other vacuum lines as well, and also your boost solenoids, to avoid more problems.
      11-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

Cool I'll ask them to look at the dme thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #21
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad
Sounds exactly like what happened to my friend, he bought his '07 e90 6mt 335i and half way during the 200 mile drive home he had a ton of misfires. He replaced all his injectors and all Sparks and it worked fine after.

Read the codes and work in a methodical manner, take your time and don't freak out.

On '07 6mt,, the old msd80 dme will fry, taking out an entire bank of injectors, and some coils and plugs. This could very likely be your issue if the previous owner did already go through this ordeal. Search in n54 section for 'fried dme'. This happened to me.

Dealer fix is to try replacing all plugs, coils, and injectors first. Then, they move onto the dme.

Finally, you said your vacuum lines to wastegates were torn. Did you replace them? Make sure you also replace all the other vacuum lines as well, and also your boost solenoids, to avoid more problems.
jklad, those boost solenoids, got a part number by chance?
Also what causes the DME to melt?

DN
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #22
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
jklad, those boost solenoids, got a part number by chance?
Also what causes the DME to melt?

DN
Its an injector mosfet (small electrical component) that fails on the dme board. Mine was injector 5 like a lot of people's
Appreciate 0