THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Reverse Camera - Dynamic lighting / brightness issue?

10-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
Reverse Camera - Dynamic lighting / brightness issue?

Hi guys,

Anyone else having an issue with their reverse camera where it will illuminate the surrounding area, then all of a sudden it gets way too dark to see anything?

Eventually it comes back but it makes the system almost useless at night, especially in the wooded area where I live.

I don't think it's an issue with the hardware but the software that controls the dynamic lighting. Worth checking with the dealer about?

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Did you try futzing with the brightness/contrast controls just to rule them out?

I like the BMW flag in your garage, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Haha, thanks!

And yep, I did try messing with those settings -- they don't do much as it appears they just change the 'screen' brightness and contrast. That can help in some cases but if you just have a black image it doesn't do much.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

This actually happened to me this morning. The issue seems to be when its very dark outside light from reverse lights reflects off an object. I had my garbage cans out and when backing down my driveway it went completely black as soon as I got close to garbage can.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't think this was the case for me. The car was parked and nothing behind it was moving, yet the image kept auto-adjusting sometimes making the surrounding area viewable and other times not viewable at all. I think it has something to do with the electronic shutter adjusting dynamically, but incorrectly.

Don't want to be a nag to my dealer, but having this work at night when it's dark would be nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis View Post
This actually happened to me this morning. The issue seems to be when its very dark outside light from reverse lights reflects off an object. I had my garbage cans out and when backing down my driveway it went completely black as soon as I got close to garbage can.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

it does that for me sometimes but it has to do with the sensitivity of my brake lights/ reverse lights. were you stepping on and off on the brake?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nope. This was when the car was just sitting there running, not even in reverse. Putting it in reverse makes things slightly brighter but the system still fades in and out like in the video.

Interestingly, my CA randomly called me today to ask how the car is doing and I told him about the camera and he just told me to bring it in so we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
it does that for me sometimes but it has to do with the sensitivity of my brake lights/ reverse lights. were you stepping on and off on the brake?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
brhon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet
I have experienced the same thing but it is random and can't seem to tie it any particular light condition
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So this is annoying and frustrating...

I took my car in for service for this issue (my CA told me to) and they had my car for 4(!) days. This was mainly because they forgot to order an extra part when they were replacing the camera.

So long story short, they replaced the camera and updated I-Level to the latest and I still have the issue... Dynamic lighting / shutter on the camera fades in and out making it unusable in low-light areas. It has to be a software thing.

@pikcachu, wondering if there's any coding that can be done for the reverse camera in terms of dynamic lighting / shutter speed or anything else???
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

not that i know.... it should work as it is
Appreciate 0