ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

A new way to be mad!

I have been watching my TPM system on the screen, watching temps and tire pressures go up, driving me nuts since it gives reading in tenths of a pound, and they all go up in such a strange way, certainly not uniform. I kind of liked the old days where you put 32 lbs at each corner and drive off feeling you have done your job. As I drive i see all kinds of weird pressure increases. Yesterday I spent some time balancing the pressures so they would be even when hot, and find that it is not repeatable on subsequent drives, anyhoo thought I would rant a little. Anyone else feel free to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

You sound like you are not ready to handle this level of data

Tire pressures, when driving, ARE going to be uneven. Different tires heat up in different patterns due to turning more one way or another, banking of the road, activation of the diff, etc.

Your goal is simply to find the hot temp most commonly encountered for your purposes and set the tires evenly to your desired PSI at that point. It will not remain even, that's pretty near impossible, but it will be as close as possible to that "ideal" PSI once warmed up.

I can tell you that my tires are running 30 degrees cooler due to temperature changes right now and that my steering feels....off.....until they warm up because the fronts are too low at that time. I can't accomodate that ahead of time - I need to re-establish my tire pressures now that the weather has cooled.
      10-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

The warmer the tire the higher the temp. TPM goes off when you go down by 3 lbs from where it was set. I always make sure tire is cold when checking at home then adjust at home from a portable air source, otherwise keep in mind by the time you drive to where air is, then adjust setting by 2 lbs or so since your 30 will look like 32 now.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm thinking of coding TPMS off and not install in my new wheels but they have worked in my favor a couple times in previous cars.
Appreciate 0