E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Overheating- please help!!

10-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
bmwphill92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Overheating- please help!!

I was driving last night and my car gave me the high engine temp notice followed by the overheated notice. I was about to get home after letting the car cool down.

Today, I tried to scan for codes but no codes popped up even after waiting for it to display the engine temperature warning.

I'll attach photos from the reader. It shows issues with the cats, o2 sensors, and evap. I have catless downpipes on the car.

The drive belt and fan function properly. I do however notice that the fan runs very fast now even when the oil temperature is relatively low. Also checked oil levels and they are fine. My guess is the Thermostat or Water pump but I don't want to proceed without confirmation.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions. It is my daily driver so I would like to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible but I want to avoid the costs of taking it to my local dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if you happen to have a Water pump for sale let me know!
Attached Images

Last edited by bmwphill92; 10-16-2014 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Happened to me and my buddies car. Randomly over heated happened to be the t-stat or wp. I ended up changing both due to them being attached to one another.
      10-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

It's your water pump and/or Thermostat.

Best to change both... Cause the Tstat is 60ish.

Your scanner is not reading BMW dcts.
But your codes are there, or you cleared the codes before scanning.
Common mistake.

Do you DIY....?

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
bmwphill92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
It's your water pump and/or Thermostat.

Best to change both... Cause the Tstat is 60ish.

Your scanner is not reading BMW dcts.
But your codes are there, or you cleared the codes before scanning.
Common mistake.

Do you DIY....?

DN
I had suspicions that the scanner just wasn't reading it, but it was the only one i had access to so it was worth the try.
I've done a good amount of diy on this car and am fairly familiar with it. However, I have never done a water pump on this or any other car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Definitely the water pump. I had the same symptoms before I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Fan runs because the water pump is not running/cooling the engine. My Cobb AP3 didn't reveal any codes either.

Recommend changing the water pump, thermostat and the hose connecting the two and flushing the coolant at the same time. Part/coolant cost is around $500-600 online. The job is a PITA. You can do it yourself to save some bucks but IMO it's worth the extra $500-600 to let someone else do it.

Good luck!
      10-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
bmwphill92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
Definitely the water pump. I had the same symptoms before I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Fan runs because the water pump is not running/cooling the engine. My Cobb AP3 didn't reveal any codes either.

Recommend changing the water pump, thermostat and the hose connecting the two and flushing the coolant at the same time. Part/coolant cost is around $500-600 online. The job is a PITA. You can do it yourself to save some bucks but IMO it's worth the extra $500-600 to let someone else do it.

Good luck!

If only I had an EXTRA $500-600 laying around..

None the less, thanks for the input. I just want to be 100% sure that it is in fact the water pump before acting on it. I will pick up the parts from my local BMW dealer once i verify and check all other possible faults including all the hoses and radiator.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

$411 in parts it cost me, delivered.
All OEM.

Give me a bit, I will find the reseller(s)

Do you have Ramps?
Jack stands?

I did it on Ramps.
Look up BavAuto DIY 2 part videos.

But you have to reset the codes before changing the pump.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The codes are BMW codes 2E81 and 2E82. Need a BMW scan tool to read them. OBDII doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
The codes are BMW codes 2E81 and 2E82. Need a BMW scan tool to read them. OBDII doesn't.
BMWlogger will read clear the DMEs
The free version.

It did for me.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
BMWlogger will read clear the DMEs
The free version.

It did for me.

DN
I don't know what BMWlogger is so I can't comment on it. However, as I said, an OBDII scan tool will not read manufacturer-specific trouble codes. OBDII scan tools only read standardized OBDII trouble codes. The water pump trouble codes are not emissions related so they are not OBDII codes and are not readable by an OBDII scan tool.

BMWlogger sounds like it is some sort of BMW scan tool. I said a BMW-specific scan tool will need to be used to read the water pump trouble codes because the codes are BMW-specific trouble codes. BMWlogger may also read OBDII codes, I don't know, but either way it is not strictly an OBDII scan tool. It looks like to me the OP used an OBDII scan tool to look for the water pump codes, which is why he didn't find any.

I'm just trying to be clear on the difference between OBDII codes and manufacturer codes, the two are not the same even though manufacturers have manufacturer-specific codes that translate to the standardized OBDII code format. A lot of members on this forum do not understand the difference between OBDII and manufacturer codes. OBDII codes always illuminate the Service Engine Soon (SES) light. Manufacturer-specific codes (if not equivalent [translation of] to an OBDII code) do not throw the SES light.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-17-2014 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #11
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Import parts depot:
On ebay they are higher price... But had a phone number listed, so I called them.... And he cut me a break for no ebay fees.

Phone: 1-855-822-0479
crm@importpartsdepot.com
Paid: $393.29 for Waterpump and TStat.
Insist on BEHR brand TStat.

Also, bolts are eBay item number:
3 of them: 161253701611.
BMW part #: 11517602123
For $11.13.

DN
Sorry, just under $405 delivered.

Please keep in mind:
1) OEM water pump bolts.... Can not be reused.
2) the new ones I listed are not aluminum and can be reused.
3) the eBay seller I listed for the water pump ships 32mm bolts (OEM Size).... But for new pump you need 26mm.... Hence why I just bought elsewhere.
4) Insist on BEHR brand TStat.... I had fitment and quality issues with Hamman brand. (both are OEM)

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

OP, the water pump is electric so it is not driven by a "fan belt". The radiator cooling fan is electric and controlled by the ECU, so if the car is over heating it will run more often and at high speed. The hoses on these cars are really robust, so I doubt that is the issue. If you are not an experienced DIY'er then I'd expect you to have some difficulty doing the repair yourself. You need a good set of tools and need plenty of clearance under the car to comfortably work on it. A reliable BMW independent repair shop should be able to scan the car and verify the pump trouble codes (have him show you while the car is hooked up) and replace the pump and t-stat for around $800. If you DIY it you'll save maybe $300 - $350 in labor, but if you really don't have the experience and tool set, you'll be saving yourself a big headache by have a professional make the repair for you.

99% of the time when these cars over heat, it is the water pump. The t-stat does not make the car over heat. The t-sat if faulty will throw the SES light, the pump doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
bmwphill92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, the water pump is electric so it is not driven by a "fan belt". The radiator cooling fan is electric and controlled by the ECU, so if the car is over heating it will run more often and at high speed. The hoses on these cars are really robust, so I doubt that is the issue. If you are not an experienced DIY'er then I'd expect you to have some difficulty doing the repair yourself. You need a good set of tools and need plenty of clearance under the car to comfortably work on it. A reliable BMW independent repair shop should be able to scan the car and verify the pump trouble codes (have him show you while the car is hooked up) and replace the pump and t-stat for around $800. If you DIY it you'll save maybe $300 - $350 in labor, but if you really don't have the experience and tool set, you'll be saving yourself a big headache by have a professional make the repair for you.

99% of the time when these cars over heat, it is the water pump. The t-stat does not make the car over heat. The t-sat if faulty will throw the SES light, the pump doesn't.
I commented on the fan because over the summer my car was overheating and I was sure it was the WP then discovered that my fan had actually stopped working.

Thank you all for you help. I will keep you posted as I will spending time to resolve this today. I will try to confirm the necessary repair with a BMW scan tool and at least get the parts ordered.
Appreciate 0