proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: To space or not to space
I have an engineering degree and I design cars/suspensions and I would use spacers on my M3/M4. 5 12.20%
I have an engineering degree and I design cars/suspensions and I would NOT use spacers on my M3/M4. 0 0%
I am a mechanic with a lot of experience and I would use spacers on my M3/M4. 1 2.44%
I am a mechanic with a lot of experience and I would NOT use spacers on my M3/M4. 0 0%
I am an enthusiast with a lot of track experience and I would use spacers on my M3/M4. 6 14.63%
I am an enthusiast with a lot of track experience and I would NOT use spacers on my M3/M4. 2 4.88%
I am a street enthusiast and I would use spacers on my M3/M4. 25 60.98%
I am a street enthusiast and I would NOT use spacers on my M3/M4. 5 12.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

10-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
pigwet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80, CP, DCT

Spacers poll and questions

I have some questions regarding the use of spacers.

On Turner's website they state the following:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-wheel-spacers.aspx
Quote:
All BMWs use hubcentric wheels. When mounted to the car, the wheel rests on a lip instead of the wheel bolts or studs. The lip contributes to the strength of the wheel and the wheel cannot safely be used without a lip. The wheel bolts are not strong enough to support the weight and loads generated through the wheel. The lip is usually 9-10.5mm in depth and the new spacer must have its own lip. Turner and H&R Spacers with their own integrated hubcentric lip are: 10mm, 12mm, 12.5mm, 15mm, 18mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 30mm.
* -- Note that H&R and Turner Motorsport each make a 10mm hubcentric spacer but due to interferences between the spacer and lip, it's best to leave this to specialized applications.
1) I recently purchased Macht Schnell 12mm spacers and the "lip" is made from aluminum. The "lip" on the spacer does not appear to nearly as beefy as the "lip" that is integrated into the stock hub. If the wheel bolts are truly not strong enough to support the weight and loads generated, as stated above, is replacing a beefy lip with an aluminum lip a good idea? It seems like the stock lip is a mounting guide whereas if it were structural BMW would make it much longer than 1cm.

2) Has anyone had any warranty or dealer issues with spacers?

3) Do you take them off before servicing at BMW?

Last edited by pigwet; 10-16-2014 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Where the poll at?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigwet View Post
I have some questions regarding the use of spacers.

On Turner's website they state the following:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-wheel-spacers.aspx

1) I recently purchased Macht Schnell 12mm spacers and the "lip" is made from aluminum. The "lip" on the spacer does not appear to nearly as beefy as the "lip" that is integrated into the stock hub. If the wheel bolts are truly not strong enough to support the weight and loads generated, as stated above, is replacing a beefy lip with an aluminum lip a good idea? It seems like the stock lip is a mounting guide whereas if it were structural BMW would make it much longer than 1cm.

2) Has anyone had any warranty or dealer issues with spacers?

3) Do you take them off before servicing at BMW?
1) The aluminum lip is fine. Your aluminum wheel is strong enough, right? The bolts do the main work holding the wheel on, while the hub lip prevents sliding around which avoids shearing forces on the wheel bolts. The bolts tensile strength is immense once torqued properly. I know many racers that use spacers as most like to run square setups which would be impossible without spacers to clear the front strut. Do torque the bolts properly, make sure your wheels are balanced, and use the longer bolts that should come with the spacer.

2) Never heard of a dealer blaming warranty issues on spacers, but I wouldn't put it past them. Many get nervous about spacers simply because they are ignorant. Best to talk to your SA before having wheel / brake work done.

I recently had my M4 at a Discount Tire, a large tire store chain. The front desk guys assumed they weren't allowed to work on cars with spacers. There happened to be a big wig manager there that wanted to take measurements of my M4. He corrected the staff and let them know they ARE allowed to work on cars with spacers IF there are hubcentric AND the bolts have the proper engagement. I believe it's 9-10 full turns of the bolt.

3) Check with SA first.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
1) The aluminum lip is fine. Your aluminum wheel is strong enough, right? The bolts do the main work holding the wheel on, while the hub lip prevents sliding around which avoids shearing forces on the wheel bolts. The bolts tensile strength is immense once torqued properly. I know many racers that use spacers as most like to run square setups which would be impossible without spacers to clear the front strut. Do torque the bolts properly, make sure your wheels are balanced, and use the longer bolts that should come with the spacer.

2) Never heard of a dealer blaming warranty issues on spacers, but I wouldn't put it past them. Many get nervous about spacers simply because they are ignorant. Best to talk to your SA before having wheel / brake work done.

I recently had my M4 at a Discount Tire, a large tire store chain. The front desk guys assumed they weren't allowed to work on cars with spacers. There happened to be a big wig manager there that wanted to take measurements of my M4. He corrected the staff and let them know they ARE allowed to work on cars with spacers IF there are hubcentric AND the bolts have the proper engagement. I believe it's 9-10 full turns of the bolt.

3) Check with SA first.
Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm also curious to hear about anyone else's experiences. I have never lowered or put spacers on a vehicle of mine before. However, I've ordered 15mm Macht Schnell spacer for front and back as well as KW height adjustable springs. God I love the lowered/widened stance on the F80!
Mineral Grey F80 M3 /// Full Sakhir Leather Interior /// 19" Light Alloy Wheels /// M Adaptive Suspension /// DCT /// Carbon Fiber Trim /// Carbon Fiber Roof /// Executive Package /// HK /// LED Lighting /// MPE /// KW HAS /// ESS E-Tronic
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80JMcD View Post
Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm also curious to hear about anyone else's experiences. I have never lowered or put spacers on a vehicle of mine before. However, I've ordered 15mm Macht Schnell spacer for front and back as well as KW height adjustable springs. God I love the lowered/widened stance on the F80!
I am ordering the same set up on the next round of parts! The KW height adjustable springs are exactly what I was looking to buy. Please tell me how things feel post install. Thanks!!
      10-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80JMcD View Post
You can search all the other BMW forums. Years and years of spacers use and reviews all over bimmerpost. Nothing is new with the M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
S801945
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Do spacers cause any long-term issues for the car - wear, tear, etc. Seen some stuff on the google.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 03:32 AM   #8
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by S801945 View Post
Do spacers cause any long-term issues for the car - wear, tear, etc. Seen some stuff on the google.
Potentially there is more wear and tear on the wheel bearing / hub, control arms etc. Due to the increased track there is potentially more leverage of forces. This is more likely to be a problem on racecars than street cars.

There is significantly more potential for stone chips and damage to your paintwork. The tires stick out more, so that when they through up stones it is more likely to hit the paintwork along the side etc.
Appreciate 1