F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Production error with 2015 F30 M Sports?
ARMA SPEED

10-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
foggy2015msport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Foggy M Sport

Production error with 2015 F30 M Sports?

Ordered a 2015 335i M Sport rwd without M Sport brakes. Unfortunately, according to the bmwarchives, the ordered car is shown as coming with fog lights included. However after I brought the issue up with with my dealer several times, they adamantly defend their claim that the car will not come with fog lights. All the evidence I have gathered from other topics on this matter says otherwise.

Anyone have any idea what I should do? Could the dealer be full of it? Could it be a bmw production error that the fog lights are now on M Sports?

Not interested in having fogs, as the absence of them was the entire reasoning behind getting the M Sport line F30.

(This issue does not apply to 4 series M Sports.)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' 335XI M Sport

I picked up my 2015 335i M Sport w/o M Sport brakes last Friday. They do indeed have fog lights. My dealer told me the same thing, even though the decoded vin showed it.

15' 335i XDrive - M Sport, MPPK, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Driver Assist, Harmon Kardon, Sport Automatic, Heat Front Seats, Enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
foggy2015msport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamboRambo View Post
I picked up my 2015 335i M Sport w/o M Sport brakes last Friday. They do indeed have fog lights. My dealer told me the same thing, even though the decoded vin showed it.
Yes, I seem to be in a similar situation. Did you decide to keep the car? I personally will not be accepting a car that deviates from what I ordered, especially considering this will be my first bmw.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
moviebumm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congratulations on ordering your car. There are several threads already regarding this subject. 2015 3 series with M Sport line does include fog lights as standard equipment unless M Sport brakes are added. If you don't want the fog lights, then order the M Sport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015msportalpinewhite View Post
Yes, I seem to be in a similar situation. Did you decide to keep the car? I personally will not be accepting a car that deviates from what I ordered, especially considering this will be my first bmw.
MY15 F30 MSport w/o MSport brakes will come with fog lights.
      10-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's my first BMW as well. Yes, I kept the car.
Here are my reasons why:

1) The dealer worked with me and threw in more on the deal to make up for that fact that car did indeed deviate from what was originally ordered, I was happy enough with what they were offering me to take the car with fog lights and without the additional cooling.

(This one is kind of far out there, but stay with me)

2) After reading about some of limp mode issues that were on the previous model year cars, a lot of the problems stemmed from the cooling fan, part number 17427640513. Now, if you go to EOM, you can see that this is only on the U.S. cars with the M Sport package.

If you try to find the part on any European model with the M Sport package, it's not there. The European Models of the M Sport, have always received fog lights, and never the additional radiator. (Looking through the limp mode thread, I couldn't find anyone from outside the U.S. reporting the issue, maybe these forums are a large majority U.S. based, therefore small sample size ?)

Now, I'm going on the assumption that these new U.S. 15' cars are essentially the same spec as the European cars have been, which means, no 17427640513 cooling fan. Which means, less chance of the annoying limp mode. Will have to wait for EOM to update their production logs to confirm.

3) Others in the U.S. who took delivery before me haven't reported any heating issues with their cars and someone in Australia even posted that they have not had any heating issues either with their "cold climate" car.

I can understand if it's a big deal for you, but for me, it wasn't too big of a deal, the car is still 99% there and it seems that it performance up to par.

For the record though (for the less than a week that I've had it) I've been very happy with the car, to say the least.

References for point #2
Limp Mode Thread:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=786475
Fan in question:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&fg=05&hl=36
Fan Search (US):
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....0513&showus=on
Fan Search (EU):
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....513&showeur=on

15' 335i XDrive - M Sport, MPPK, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Driver Assist, Harmon Kardon, Sport Automatic, Heat Front Seats, Enhanced Bluetooth.

Last edited by TheCamboRambo; 10-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Added References so someone can tell me I am or am not crazy.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are my reasons why:

1) The dealer worked with me and threw in more on the deal to make up for that fact that car did indeed deviate from what was originally ordered, I was happy enough with what they were offering me to take the car with fog lights and without the additional cooling.

2) After reading about some of limp mode issues that were on the previous model year cars, a lot of the problems stemmed from the cooling fan, part number 17427640513. Now, if you go to EOM, you can see that this is only on the U.S. cars with the M Sport package.

If you try to find the part on any European model with the M Sport package, it's not there. The European Models of the M Sport, have always received fog lights, and never the additional radiator. (Looking through the limp mode thread, I couldn't find anyone from outside the U.S. reporting the issue, maybe these forums are a large majority U.S. based, therefore small sample size ?)

Now, I'm going on the assumption that these new U.S. 15' cars are essentially the same spec as the European cars have been, which means, no 17427640513 cooling fan. Which means, less chance of the annoying limp mode. Will have to wait for EOM to update their production logs to confirm.

3) Others in the U.S. who took delivery before me haven't reported any heating issues with their cars and someone in Australia even posted that they have not had any heating issues either with their "cold climate" car.

I can understand if it's a big deal for you, but for me, it wasn't too big of a deal, the car is still 99% there and it seems that it performance up to par.

For the record though (for the less than a week that I've had it) I've been very happy with the car, to say the least.

References for point #2
Limp Mode Thread:
Fan in question:
Fan Search (US):
Fan Search (EU):
Limp Mode has been essentially fixed. Some need a new fan and coupled with software refinements seem to have addressed the issue. My MY14 had a lesser version of limp mode twice early on but after a new fan and software update, all is good. And that was more than 10 months back.

Just enjoy your car and don't sweat the small stuff.
      10-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

That would be cool to throw a hissy fit at the dealership over the presence of fog lights.

I like my fog lights, they supplement the cornering lights in tight maneuvers.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
ScottCullen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 m22

No fog lights

No fog lights FTW
Attached Images

10-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
foggy2015msport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are my reasons why:

References for point #2
Limp Mode Thread:
Fan in question:
Fan Search (US):
Fan Search (EU):
That is a very good point. Personally, I chose M Sport because of the aesthetic aspect over the cooling aspect. If someone wanted less parts to worry about, why not skip m sport entirely. I feel bmw should have waited until LCI before changing anything major, such as the addition of fogs on the M Sport line.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCullen View Post
No fog lights FTW
No fog light no problem your car looked clean without it.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Fog lights have no interference with the M Sport brakes.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:04 AM   #13
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCullen
No fog lights FTW
I love the look without fogs, but did like the cornering light function on my e90
      10-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Limp Mode has been essentially fixed. Some need a new fan and coupled with software refinements seem to have addressed the issue. My MY14 had a lesser version of limp mode twice early on but after a new fan and software update, all is good. And that was more than 10 months back.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

I haven't had Limp Mode since a new fan and software update last April. It's funny that when the M-Sport first came out, people were complaining it had no fogs. I was ambivalent, but grew to like the naked look. Besides the Xenon headlights are so good (especially with High Beam Assist coded properly) I don't miss having fogs.

But if I ordered one now and expected no fogs but got them anyway, it would be no big deal at all.
      10-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
foggy2015msport
United_States
Rep

The current car with fogs has been built and is on its way to the U.S. Anyone familiar with the process of cancelling an order at this point in the process?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The current car with fogs has been built and is on its way to the U.S. Anyone familiar with the process of cancelling an order at this point in the process?
You are prepared to re-order car with MSport brakes and start the waiting process all over again? If so, call your dealer and let them know.
      10-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
foggy2015msport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are prepared to re-order car with MSport brakes and start the waiting process all over again? If so, call your dealer and let them know.
I tend to get a brand new car every 20 years or so, and I try to have the new one meet my exact ordering specifications. I wonder if he will give me the current one as a loaner while the new one is ordered?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
I tend to get a brand new car every 20 years or so, and I try to have the new one meet my exact ordering specifications. I wonder if he will give me the current one as a loaner while the new one is ordered?
No way that's going to happen. The dealer is stuck with an ordered car that may be harder to get rid of and now you want to drive a brand new car for free for 2 months?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Am I correct that your dealer has been telling you this car will arrive with no fog lights? If that's the case, they likely won't be willing to re-order a car until they verify this. You can ask them to check other MY15 MSports w/o MSport brakes and see for themselves or they can escalate request through their regional BMW rep for confirmation. One way or another you'll need to convince them first that this car has fogs and MSport brake cars won't.

Most dealers just sell cars, they don't get into the nuance differences that BMW throws at them as part of their running production updates.

Quite frankly, your dealer just may say no since this is not a production/option order error, damage, etc.. The simple fact is BMW made a production change, as they sometimes do, but in this case it happens to be something visible and annoying to you.

Good luck and I hope the outcome makes you happy.
      10-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
foggy2015msport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Am I correct that your dealer has been telling you this car will arrive with no fog lights? If that's the case, they likely won't be willing to re-order a car until they verify this. You can ask them to check other MY15 MSports w/o MSport brakes and see for themselves or they can escalate request through their regional BMW rep for confirmation. One way or another you'll need to convince them first that this car has fogs and MSport brake cars won't.

Most dealers just sell cars, they don't get into the nuance differences that BMW throws at them as part of their running production updates.

Quite frankly, your dealer just may say no since this is not a production/option order error, damage, etc.. The simple fact is BMW made a production change, as they sometimes do, but in this case it happens to be something visible and annoying to you.

Good luck and I hope the outcome makes you happy.
Yes, I have brought this issue up several times, but they refuse to acknowledge the fact.

I have thought it over and may accept the car if they retrofit a pair of 4series LED fog lights instead of the stock halogen fogs. Any chance they would be willing to do something like that to get me to take the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
foggy2015msport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
No way that's going to happen. The dealer is stuck with an ordered car that may be harder to get rid of and now you want to drive a brand new car for free for 2 months?
I mean they have been denying the existence of fogs on the ordered car for over a month now. It is partially their fault that time has been wasted.
Appreciate 0