E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Suggestions For The Best Laser/radar/speed Solution?

10-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
lowkick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 325i M Sport, e31 850ci

Suggestions For The Best Laser/radar/speed Solution?

As per the title, I am simply curious what kind of solutions you guys use when it comes to protecting yourself from speeding tickets?
      10-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
My eyes and common sense.
      10-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Neither laser nor radar detectors will help you much, a far better solution is to drive within the speed limits but, as a backup, a database of all known camera locations, fixed & mobile, is the best solution. Have a look at Camera Alert by Pocket GPS World
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
BMWdriver85
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90

I use the indic8tor for past 4 years, it even greets you every time you start the car "good morning/afternoon/evening, have a safe journey"

You can pay around £25-30/yr for automatic speed camera updates but the internal database it has is very good for all fixed speed cameras and average speed checks, it also continuously displays your speed digitally which is very handy for cruise control - a minor adjustment on cruise control changes the speed by 1mph increments, allowing you to set it exactly in average speed check zones.

http://www.indic8tor.com/

or..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indic8tor-...item3a9924ed12

Last edited by BMWdriver85; 10-15-2014 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

my mate is a bent copper so I just shout him up and can/have got off many a ticket
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
kev335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkick View Post
As per the title, I am simply curious what kind of solutions you guys use when it comes to protecting yourself from speeding tickets?
Have you tried sticking to the speed limit? :
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdriver85 View Post
I use the indic8tor for past 4 years, it even greets you every time you start the car "good morning/afternoon/evening, have a safe journey"

You can pay around £25-30/yr for automatic speed camera updates but the internal database it has is very good for all fixed speed cameras and average speed checks, it also continuously displays your speed digitally which is very handy for cruise control - a minor adjustment on cruise control changes the speed by 1mph increments, allowing you to set it exactly in average speed check zones.

http://www.indic8tor.com/

or..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indic8tor-...item3a9924ed12
V Interested in the indic8tor.

Do you have yours Hard Wired? Can these be hard wired to ignition on feed, so when you start car thing comes on and vica vers when you switch off?

How is it updated? How often do they update their updates? Does it have GPS locations for Known Mobile sites?

Many thanks for answering my questions BMWdriver.

Steve
      10-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
BMWdriver85
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90

Hi,

it connects to a cigarette lighter plug socket - i use the centre one in the arm-rest (where i have an adaptor that divides it into two so i can plug my ipod in aswell) It then attaches very securely by a sticky pad to the dashboard, within the sticky pad is a magnet that holds the indic8tor in place, you can easily swivel its orientation towards you if you prefer. It comes on automatically when you insert the keycard and goes off as you remove keycard. Installation of it takes 5 mins and is very easy.

Yes it does have GPS locations for known mobile speed camera zones and gives an audible warning "Warning entering mobile camera zone, 60 limit" (going 63mph)..."slow down, slow down" In fact it gives audible warning when ever you approach a fixed speed camera of any sort and flashes the correct speed on its display. Its also a fully legal device, unlike some others.

The updates are from the website and take 2 mins - you have to take your indic8tor back to your pc and use the provided lead. I haven't updated in a two years now as living in norfolk it didn't make that much difference, larger cities it may be more relevant to update.

I do recommend it, I wouldn't be without it, even though it nags me to slow down a fair bit ! Certainly saved me a few times in the past.

Last edited by BMWdriver85; 10-15-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Another advocate of keeping my eyes peeled and driving within the speed limits here! Have been driving 17 years and not picked up a speeding ticket yet! (touches a big bit of wood!).

I test drove an F30 the other day with the HUD option and was very impressed with how it displayed your speed in red when you were travelling over the speed limit

If you're going to use anything then just get speed cameras visible on whatever satnav you use, but to be honest if you can't see a big bright yellow box up in front of you then you need to get your eyes tested If you're up against a mobile camera van then chances are you've already been caught by the time any RADAR detectors notify you.
      10-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Snooper 3zero or Pogo Alert mate, I've got both but never got around to fitting it, if I were to choose from the reviews and research I did on both, I'd say pogo alert

Both do GPS, laser, radar detection.

Some blurb about snooper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003..._1413375417184
      10-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev335i View Post
Have you tried sticking to the speed limit? :
wow!...you should be on pistonheads with that kind of response! they'll suck your cock dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
Another advocate of keeping my eyes peeled and driving within the speed limits here! Have been driving 17 years and not picked up a speeding ticket yet! (touches a big bit of wood!).

I test drove an F30 the other day with the HUD option and was very impressed with how it displayed your speed in red when you were travelling over the speed limit

If you're going to use anything then just get speed cameras visible on whatever satnav you use, but to be honest if you can't see a big bright yellow box up in front of you then you need to get your eyes tested If you're up against a mobile camera van then chances are you've already been caught by the time any RADAR detectors notify you.
Are you advocating that your have NEVER EVER broken any UK speed limit at ANYTIME?????????????????

or

Just that you have not been caught yet???????

Me thinks the second one! as i firmly believe that every driver at SOME stage has broken the speed limit. I am not talking about the 70 in a 30 zone type of speeding, but but doing 33 in a 30 or 45 in a 40 etc etc.

I just can't believe that no one, if completely honest with not just this forum but themselves, can deny breaking the speed limit

I am a good driver or i think i am, but i have done more than 70 on a motorway once ot twice... , or found myself doing 35 in a 30 without knowing it, in a strange area!!

Sorry but if you choose answer one, then i refuse to believe you!
      10-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #13
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Lol I didn't say I've never broken the speed limit (of course all my speeding has been done on a private road!) but when knowingly speeding it's all about picking your opportunities.

I've had plenty of close calls, but thanks to my awareness of what's going on around me I've always been able to avoid getting a ticket.

It really winds my missus up as apparently I'm a boring person to take a road trip with, but that's because when I'm driving my number 1 priority is making sure I know what is going on around my car 100% of the time
      10-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Lol I didn't say I've never broken the speed limit (of course all my speeding has been done on a private road!) but when knowingly speeding it's all about picking your opportunities.

I've had plenty of close calls, but thanks to my awareness of what's going on around me I've always been able to avoid getting a ticket.

It really winds my missus up as apparently I'm a boring person to take a road trip with, but that's because when I'm driving my number 1 priority is making sure I know what is going on around my car 100% of the time
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

Will you then sell me your lovely E92 335, as you don't need a speed demon as you have. I suggest that you get a Cee'd. For the comfort bit you can get the Cee'D SW (Top of the Range).

10-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Will you then sell me your lovely E92 335, as you don't need a speed demon as you have. I suggest that you get a Cee'd. For the comfort bit you can get the Cee'D SW (Top of the Range).

Lol I might not speed very often, but I certainly like to get up to the speed limit as quick as possible
      10-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Lol I might not speed very often, but I certainly like to get up to the speed limit as quick as possible
      10-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Cero ceto
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport+

I've just purchased a Road Angel Gem + from Halfords. I have not tested it fully yet but will tomorrow on a 340 mile round trip, so the jury is still out. If it's crap I will send it back!

Watch this space
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
kev335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
wow!...you should be on pistonheads with that kind of response! they'll suck your cock dry.
I take it sarcasm is not your strong point then?
Must remember no jokes on e90post too many highly strung individuals around.
For a full answer to the orginal post mobile camera vans will have you before you detect them. In my opinion detectors offer detection for fixed cameras / regular mobile sites but anything else is a false sence of security. If your on your last chance keep the speed down and the eyes peeled.
Happy now zltm? Now obviously with a response like that piston heads won't want me so if your offering to suck me dry for giving a sensible reply that will be a no thanks, you are too boring
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #20
Cero ceto
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've only been done once and that was in Cyprus doing treble the limit on the SBA whilst serving in the army and had to go to court. I only got a £36 fine and no points. However I have since grown up but would like to know where the fixed cameras are as a lapse of concentration can and does on occasions happen!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #21
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I've never been really clear on the legality on using camera/radar detectors, which is probably one of the other reasons...and I also hate leads dangling all over the dash!

Last edited by Russbmw; 10-17-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #22
Cero ceto
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Radar detectors are illegal to use in England but not to own! Database systems such as Road angel are legal to own and use.
Appreciate 0