THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Tracker in my 2

Closed Thread

10-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
joshbromberg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i

Tracker in my 2

I'm 16 and my dad bought me a 2 series for my first car. I love driving it but it's so annoying how he's always monitoring my speed and location. Any tips or help on where the tracking device may be located or how I can disable or override it?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Appreciate 3
      10-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCFC View Post
+1
      10-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbromberg View Post
I'm 16 and my dad bought me a 2 series for my first car. I love driving it but it's so annoying how he's always monitoring my speed and location. Any tips or help on where the tracking device may be located or how I can disable or override it?
Thanks!
Oh for crying out loud, is this post for real? You've got to be joking, right? Just enjoy the fact that you got a brand new BMW at 16 years old.

Are you seriously asking how to disable the tracking device, so your father who bought you this car can't make sure you are being responsible? Have some dignity and respect for you father. I don't intend to make this personal, but I guarantee you that every member who reads this is going to think: "Holy ****, this kid is the epitome of an ungrateful brat". Just drive the car and be grateful for what you have, although your unappreciative attitude towards your fathers gift makes me think that you're just not that great of a person (yet, I'm sure you will mature as you reach your 20's). Remember, I don't mean for this to be personal, but looking back at it, you've got to agree that your post is downright shameful. Your father should be ashamed.

And you better believe that your father has the right to monitor your driving. He dropped a ton of cash on you.

Congrats on creating the most ungrateful, ignorant, and shameful post on a BMW forum that I have ever seen.

You obviously cannot be trusted with what your extremely generous father gifted you.

Your father made a huge mistake.

I'm sorry. You must be the most ungrateful 16 year old with a BMW on this planet.

Last edited by Adem1534; 10-14-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thanks!
You will not enjoy the following answer. Your answer/actions will tell us much more about you, however.

You are among the luckiest kids in the world that your dad is so generous to you. The least you could do is respect his wishes to keep healthy and alive until your teenage brain develops enough (doesn't physiologically happen until the 20s) to learn how to make rational risk-assessment decisions on your own. Single-vehicle crashes are the leading killer of teen-agers. Not crashes with other cars....just low-experience and poor-judgement teens losing control and killing themselves. He would be so disappointed in a son he probably has a high respect for if he read your post. I know your young brain doesn't quite get this yet, so think about it on another level which might work better. If he finds out, and there are likely several ways he can, the car might be gone.

Good luck and best wishes,

Someone else's dad.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Thanks!
Oh Josh, I will be surprised if you get any recommendations from folks on this board! Many of us have teenage children. I think your father is looking out for your best interest here, I know its a drag and if I were your age I would hate it too! Thing is, most of us are not your age and can NOW see the benefit of such intrusive supervision. My advice is too appreciate what a fine automobile your father purchased for you and deal with his conditions to be able to drive it.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Maybe you should be a little more strategic in your approach. Instead of finding a way to get around their supervision, think about how much nicer the second car they get you will be if you follow all the rules and operate this one responsibly!

At the end of the day, if you get in trouble at 16 or 17, they get dragged to court with you as they are responsible for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Thanks!
You will not enjoy the following answer. Your answer/actions will tell us much more about you, however.

You are among the luckiest kids in the world that your dad is so generous to you. The least you could do is respect his wishes to keep healthy and alive until your teenage brain develops enough (doesn't physiologically happen until the 20s) to learn how to make rational risk-assessment decisions on your own. Single-vehicle crashes are the leading killer of teen-agers. Not crashes with other cars....just low-experience and poor-judgement teens losing control and killing themselves. He would be so disappointed in a son he probably has a high respect for if he read your post. I know your young brain doesn't quite get this yet, so think about it on another level which might work better. If he finds out, and there are likely several ways he can, the car might be gone.

Good luck and best wishes,

Someone else's dad.
+1

My first car was a 12 y/o beater

I was happy to just have a car
      10-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud View Post
I was happy to just have a car
^ +10,000,000,000
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
My first car, also at 16, was a 1993 Geo Prizm (a decade old car at the time). I did some stupid things in that thing. If I had a 320hp car then I would probably not be in the position I am today (not in jail/have a license/have all of my limbs/have sensation in my body/alive/etc).

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

@joshbromberg

go easy on the kid he's 16. This is a normal question for a 16yr old with a 2 series. Ripping on him is not going to help a 16yr understand why his dad did this.

Kid your dad loves you enough to buy you a new car and try his best to prevent you from hurting yourself. Why don't you talk to your dad and ask him if the 2 of you can go out on the weekends to do some controlled driving (on a track).

I personally do not think youre being a brat... I had a brand new 1992 5.0 Mustang LX at 16 and I'm lucky to be alive (the way I drove it). You're a car guy and I understand you want to drive it but at the same time you need to gain experience. I say this so that when you're driving your buddy's car without the tracker you think before you wrap it against a pole.

enjoy your new BMW!!!! Don't let the exaggerated response from some make you feel bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
My First Car was a FIAT 850........
      10-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
@joshbromberg

go easy on the kid he's 16. This is a normal question for a 16yr old with a 2 series. Ripping on him is not going to help a 16yr understand why his dad did this.

Kid your dad loves you enough to buy you a new car and try his best to prevent you from hurting yourself. Why don't you talk to your dad and ask him if the 2 of you can go out on the weekends to do some controlled driving (on a track).

I personally do not think youre being a brat... I had a brand new 1992 5.0 Mustang LX at 16 and I'm lucky to be alive (the way I drove it). You're a car guy and I understand you want to drive it but at the same time you need to gain experience. I say this so that when you're driving your buddy's car without the tracker you think before you wrap it against a pole.

enjoy your new BMW!!!! Don't let the exaggerated response from some make you feel bad.
Sorry....some bad feelings might be evidence of even a bit of conscience. This is only partially about safety. The other issue is the complete lack of respect he shows to a father who just did an incredible thing for his son. His dad probably thinks he has a great kid and wanted to reward him. Imagine how he would feel to know his kid is asking strangers for advice for how to sneak behind his back and undo his wishes.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
joshbromberg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Thanks!
Oh for crying out loud, is this post for real? You've got to be joking, right? Just enjoy the fact that you got a brand new BMW at 16 years old.

Are you seriously asking how to disable the tracking device, so your father who bought you this car can't make sure you are being responsible? Have some dignity and respect for you father. I don't intend to make this personal, but I guarantee you that every member who reads this is going to think: "Holy ****, this kid is the epitome of an ungrateful brat". Just drive the car and be grateful for what you have, although your unappreciative attitude towards your fathers gift makes me think that you're just not that great of a person (yet, I'm sure you will mature as you reach your 20's). Remember, I don't mean for this to be personal, but looking back at it, you've got to agree that your post is downright shameful. Your father should be ashamed.

And you better believe that your father has the right to monitor your driving. He dropped a ton of cash on you.

Congrats on creating the most ungrateful, ignorant, and shameful post on a BMW forum that I have ever seen.

You obviously cannot be trusted with what your extremely generous father gifted you.

Your father made a huge mistake.

I'm sorry. You must be the most ungrateful 16 year old with a BMW on this planet.

You have blown this way out of proportion. You have no idea of my familial or financial situation. I have utmost respect for my dad and he has the same for me. I'm a very responsible 16 year old and he's told my countless times how much I deserved the car. I was simply asking how to disable the tracker especially because it is connected with the insurance and will end up raising my rate. If you don't have any advice or anything positive to say at all, I suggest you refrain yourself from replying. At least the others who disagreed with me said so in a different manner and with an intention of teaching me a life lesson. You are just upright rude.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You have blown this way out of proportion. You have no idea of my familial or financial situation. I have utmost respect for my dad and he has the same for me. I'm a very responsible 16 year old and he's told my countless times how much I deserved the car. I was simply asking how to disable the tracker especially because it is connected with the insurance and will end up raising my rate. If you don't have any advice or anything positive to say at all, I suggest you refrain yourself from replying. At least the others who disagreed with me said so in a different manner and with an intention of teaching me a life lesson. You are just upright rude.
Josh,

You write very well and no one needs to be called names. However, your words don't match your actions. If you had the utmost respect for your dad, you would be discussing the pros/cons of the tracker with him, not seeking workarounds from us, and then abide by and respect his decision. If you know having the tracker means your insurance rates will increase, then you are also indicating that you plan, with intent, to use the car in a way he would not approve - illegally or recklessly while an inherently inexperienced driver, as are all 16 year-olds. "Respect" includes adopting the standards he sets for your behavior in the amazing gift he just gave you.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

My first car was a 1972 Toyota Celica St with oxidized silver paint and a big dent in the right quarter panel. Cost my father $400. I had it less than two months, ran a stop sign looking for a house number and was T-boned and woke up in the hospital. I don't think Josh was meaning to sound ungrateful, it just came across that way. I am sure we all wished we were in the same position Josh was in when we were 16. I was always envious of those kids who got nice new cars for gifts. I too was just happy to have a car at all and freedom. I second the suggestion to ask your dad to take you to a track day do you can test your car in a safer environment. He may still say no, but would not hurt to ask. As far as tracking you, I am 100% with him on that. Parents need to know where their children are, Its our job!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
joshbromberg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Josh,

You write very well and no one needs to be called names. However, your words don't match your actions. If you had the utmost respect for your dad, you would be discussing the pros/cons of the tracker with him, not seeking workarounds from us, and then abide by and respect his decision. If you know having the tracker means your insurance rates will increase, then you are also indicating that you plan, with intent, to use the car in a way he would not approve - illegally or recklessly while an inherently inexperienced driver, as are all 16 year-olds. "Respect" includes adopting the standards he sets for your behavior in the amazing gift he just gave you.
I completely understand where you're coming from as a father. It is a sneaky thing to do, but then again I'm a teenager. You can't say you didn't have a bit of a devious past. It happens to all of us. Anyway, this is a car forum and this thread has gotten way off topic. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Gate7
Oh rly?
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Thanks!
Select options
Spoiled kid configuration
Parental controls
Speed monitoring
Select disable
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
I have utmost respect for my dad and he has the same for me. I'm a very responsible 16 year old and he's told my countless times how much I deserved the car. I was simply asking how to disable the tracker especially because it is connected with the insurance and will end up raising my rate. If you don't have any advice or anything positive to say at all, I suggest you refrain yourself from replying.
Josh, my boy, a bit of advice... You do not want to disable the tracker as that will leave evidence of tampering, which defeats the purpose. It might even be a felony (insurance fraud). All that needs be done is to compare the odometer readings with the tracker data and... GUILTY! There is other data stored in the car (incl the key fob) besides the simple odometer reading. You'll have to be a bit more clever. The greatest fraud artists are those who are never discovered.