E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Skip Barber Driving School

12-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
checuervo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Garage List
2008 E93  [0.00]
Skip Barber Driving School

This Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a Gift Certificate for a 1-day High Performance Driving lesson with Skip Barber racing! I'll most likely be at Laguna Seca, which I hear is fantastic.

Anyone taken this course before and have any words of wisdom? I'm considering upgrading to the 2-day program for an extra $900, but no clue if it's worth it...

1989 Ford Tempo, blue
1984 Toyota Van, brown
1982 Volvo Station wagon, yellow
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

I took the course back in 92 actually here at Lime Rock. They used the brand new e36 BMW at the time. It was so exciting. My dad went with me.

I had already been auto-xing for the prior 2 yrs before I went and it gave me a lot of comfort in terms of what they were telling me to do. They really have you put the cars out of shape and learn to get them back in line.

I dont know what they teach in the 1 day as I did the 2 day, but hopefully they will teach you how to hold a full slide around a skidpad.

Definitely remember it forever. Have a blast man!
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
I did the three day at Laguna Seca, outstanding experience!

Love that race track, even have my in-car video of the action.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

I did a two day at Bertilli Roos Racing School, Pocono Race track, I still talk about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Can anyone comment on Skip Barber versus BMW M driving school? Both of these sound like good programs.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

No comment on the Skip Barber vs. the M School. I have been to 4 driving classes from 3 different schools. The 2 Day High Performance from Skip Barber was great. They cover the basics of car control, skid pad work, auto-cross and track driving. You will get to drive 4 different sports cars. It is very well done. If the $900 is not going to put a big dent in your wallet I would go for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
At least with the Skip Barber school, there are different cars to choose from. I know they had the E46 M3 available at Skip Barber Laguna Seca when I was there.

$900 for the extra day is not bad. Do it right and do it at Laguna Seca. It is a great course.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:51 PM   #8
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

I went to the 1 day at Lime Rock in summer of 06... Anyway I loved it and its becasue of that day, I decided I wanted a BMW.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
I went to the 1 day at Lime Rock in summer of 06... Anyway I loved it and its becasue of that day, I decided I wanted a BMW.
thats a great inspirational story bro
      01-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Save up and do the three day at laguna seca. You drive the barber dodge race cars all three days and learn a bunch about road racing. Can't tell you how much of a good time you will have there.

This is what I did: http://www.skipbarber.com/racing_sch...ay_racing.aspx

Coolest thing was a couple of the instructors I see them on Speed TV quite often (Kelly Collins in particular). Very cool experience!

fz
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
checuervo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Garage List
2008 E93  [0.00]
Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like a great program probably worth the 2 day upgrade. As for the 3 day, I really want to take the High Performance driving course and master my own car before moving on to Race cars. One of these days maybe...

I'll post pics when I get take the course, though I'm thinking about waiting till late spring/early summer for some perfect weather.

1989 Ford Tempo, blue
1984 Toyota Van, brown
1982 Volvo Station wagon, yellow
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I have been to Laguna about 20 days in the past 9 years...highly recommended place. If you can do the multi-day program...I would go for that...one day is just not enough of that track. I am teaching there on Feb 25th with the Northern California Racing Club... :-)

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by checuervo View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like a great program probably worth the 2 day upgrade. As for the 3 day, I really want to take the High Performance driving course and master my own car before moving on to Race cars. One of these days maybe...

I'll post pics when I get take the course, though I'm thinking about waiting till late spring/early summer for some perfect weather.
Over the past 8 years I have taken just about every course they offer. Two day driving (twice), 3 Day racing (3 times), 2 day advanced (twice) and Advanced Car Contol Clinic (at least 12 times - lost count). I have also done lapping days and race weekends.

I usually go to Lime Rock (I live in NYC) but have done some programs at Sebring (Florida) and Moroso (West Palm Beach Florida).

It is definitely worth doing. The instructors are a great bunch and the programs are a good balance of classroom instruction and seat time.

If I could sum up what I have learned it would be:
1. I am a much better driver than I was
2. I am nowhere near as good a drive as I thought I was before I started.

I would recommend that you upgrade to the two day.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
But would you take that money and attend a BMWCCA (or similar) HPDE 10 times?

Just an honest question to the experienced track guys on the more expensive program like Skip Barber, BMW M school etc vs the cheaper track alternatives.

-hkj
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkj View Post

Just an honest question to the experienced track guys on the more expensive program like Skip Barber, BMW M school etc vs the cheaper track alternatives.

-hkj
The BMWCCA track days are a lot of fun and you can learn a lot but IMHO it does not compare to a Skip Barber course.
First of all at Skip Barber (and BMW School) they provide the cars (and the tires)
In a Skip Barber 3 day there will be 16 students and at least 4 instructors. There are only 8 cars on the track at one time and the cars are spaced apart. As you go around the track there are instuctors watching you and evaluating your performance at various locations on the track.
In the car contol clinics you really get to learn how the cars behave at the limit. It is a very controlled environment.

I sometimes work as a pit marshall at BMWCCA track days at Lime Rock, The drivers that have had professional training IMO have an advantage at these events.

Take a Lap of Laguna Seca in a "Skippy" Car
http://www.skipbarber.com/locations/mazda_raceway.aspx

And then Lime Rock:
http://www.skipbarber.com/locations/lime_rock_park.aspx

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkj View Post

-hkj
To be honest..you get different things from the different kind of events...the Skip Barber or equivalent school is really to take you to another level...advanced techniques so to speak. I would start with a BMW club event...maybe do 2-3 two day events...and THEN go to a Skip Barber School. They can nip bad habits and get you on the right track. With the HPDEs..sometimes it is hit and miss with instructors...it all depends on where you are going...and what instructors show up that day. I have had some excellent instructors before..

BTW, I have never attended a Bonderant/Skip Barber/Russell Racing school..but I always wanted to....I have only done the SCCA Racing School..to get my race license....and they taught you how to start racing..and how to pass properly...just so you were decently safe out there.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #17
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

My opinion is try a little bit of everything if you can for a day or so... BMW, Road Racing, Rally racing, etc... and then spend the big check on the one you like the most.

I've taken a stunt driving course (and plan to do more) and I've had some experience with racing school instructors with very little track time. I'm a little biased in favor of the stunt driving, but I'd love to be as well rounded as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 06:21 AM   #18
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
My opinion is try a little bit of everything if you can for a day or so... BMW, Road Racing, Rally racing, etc... and then spend the big check on the one you like the most.

I've taken a stunt driving course (and plan to do more) and I've had some experience with racing school instructors with very little track time. I'm a little biased in favor of the stunt driving, but I'd love to be as well rounded as possible.
My experience with the Skip Barber Instructors (at least the ones at Lime Rock) is that they are experienced, skilled drivers with a great deal of track experience. One 2 time National Formula Ford champion. 2 podium finishers in the Daytona 24 hour etc. They are mostly professional racing drivers, some still active, some retired and they know every nuance of the track.

CA

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by checuervo View Post

Either one you will have a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0