10-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
ericdad
Private
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5 CP

To the owners of i8...a question regarding mileage

Hi all the lucky i8 owners!

We currently have 2014 F10 M5 CP, 2014 F20 M135i and 2012 F12 M6. We're waiting for our i8 to be delivered mid next year in New Zealand.

We have our main residence in Auckland which is one of the main cities in NZ. But our work/company is about 240kms away from our residence in a countryside. We travel there once every week and come back to Auckland. From Auckland to where our work is, there are only petrol stations and no charging stations of any kind in between. Out of 240kms, about 200kms is the motorway where we can drive smoothly at 100kph. There are petrol stations once we get to the destination where we work.

Once we get to the destination, we will be able to charge the car's battery.

Our question is that will we be able to survive with i8 given this circumstances? We know the official report on the range of the car but we also hear some conflicting information regarding the combined range and i8's degraded performance once the electric battery runs out. We read from somewhere that once you only use the petrol engine, acceleration and etc gets greatly reduced?

We'd love to hear your feedbacks and suggestions.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Didn't plug it up the first 880 miles, got 35.1mpg. Charged it once at home, just drove another 400 miles to the beach, ended up with a lifetime mpg of 36.3 so far. With a drained battery the range of a tank cruising at interstate speeds appears to be a little over 400 miles. You could technically never charge it via plug. 20 or so minutes in sport mode gives you ~75% charge good for 14-15 miles and gives low to mid 20s mpg while in sport and charging. If you can drive a normal car somewhere on petrol, you can drive an i8 there. No degraded performance, the car maintains 1-4 miles of electric for eBoost and low speed propulsion no matter what so once you're through the 18-22 miles of all-electric range you back to nominal operating conditions.

Last edited by Carac; 10-10-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
ericdad
Private
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Didn't plug it up the first 880 miles, got 35.1mpg. Charged it once at home, just drove another 400 miles to the beach, ended up with a lifetime mpg of 36.3 so far. With a drained battery the range of a tank cruising at interstate speeds appears to be a little over 400 miles. You could technically never charge it via plug. 20 or so minutes in sport mode gives you ~75% charge good for 14-15 miles and gives low to mid 20s mpg while in sport and charging. If you can drive a normal car somewhere on petrol, you can drive an i8 there. No degraded performance, the car maintains 1-4 miles of electric for eBoost and low speed propulsion no matter what so once you're through the 18-22 miles of all-electric range you back to nominal operating conditions.
Thanks Carac for the 1st hand information. How about the performance side of it? Did you notice any degradation in performance depends on the battery charge level? Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdad View Post
Thanks Carac for the 1st hand information. How about the performance side of it? Did you notice any degradation in performance depends on the battery charge level? Thank you again!
Not on public roads. The only place I've heard of it going into "limp mode" because of charge is CAR magazine when they were caning it around a track and even then they said a lap at 6-7/10ths brought it back up to perfect working order. BMW did a great job on the drivetrain and power management. You can set it to comfort and never give it a thought under normal car conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
I haven't noticed anything. It goes fine if you just push it. You always have eDrive for at least couple of second even if your battery if full empty and even you don't want to use Sport for recharge.

Battery says 0 mile when there is 10% left. When you brake, it renegerates more. In gauge you see eBoost and even without using it, i8 accelerates very nice.

About range. I have been able to run about 550-580 km with one tank and irregular garage charging. My way to work is 92 km one side and I drive both sides every day. Charging possible only at home. Mainly freeway, at 130 km/h speed. You can't see combined consumption of i8 from iDrive, only gas/e separately. Gas consumption is 6,6l/100 km on my car. Electricity consumption something...in Connected Drive medium gas consumption of i8 community says 7,1 litres/100 km. Maybe autobahns consume more?
      10-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
ericdad
Private
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis
Quote:
I haven't noticed anything. It goes fine if you just push it. You always have eDrive for at least couple of second even if your battery if full empty and even you don't want to use Sport for recharge.

Battery says 0 mile when there is 10% left. When you brake, it renegerates more. In gauge you see eBoost and even without using it, i8 accelerates very nice.

About range. I have been able to run about 550-580 km with one tank and irregular garage charging. My way to work is 92 km one side and I drive both sides every day. Charging possible only at home. Mainly freeway, at 130 km/h speed. You can't see combined consumption of i8 from iDrive, only gas/e separately. Gas consumption is 6,6l/100 km on my car. Electricity consumption something...in Connected Drive medium gas consumption of i8 community says 7,1 litres/100 km. Maybe autobahns consume more?
Thanks so much for your information.
Appreciate 0