BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
SamsterfromTX
Rep
Drives: 2014 i8

Intro, pics and comfort access entry question

Hello everyone,
I have been lurking at this forum for many months and have learnt a ton of info from most posts. A little background: I am mainly a Porsche guy and my current track car is a 2014 911 GT3. I have been on the i8 list since I was 4 (well, it felt that way anyways). I got my car a couple of weeks ago and have been daily driving it, so far accruing a few miles shy of 1,000. I love the car. As others mentioned, the attention can be excessive. I am attaching a couple of iPhone pics.
For those of you who have taken delivery, does the comfort entry work in locking/unlocking the doors? Mine does not and the dealer could not either. I have to use the buttons on the fob for those functions. They allegedly contacted Germany and were told the 2014 do not have it, but subsequent cars will. I find that strange, especially that the owner's manual clearly shows how it should work. Plus, the engine start function works just fine, so the car is sensing the fob. Any input would be appreciated and yes, all the settings have been checked and double checked by me and the dealer. They even hooked it up to their system and found nothing that would enable/disable comfort entry.
Sam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Congratulations and welcome. Don't know about the comfort access but I do have one thing to say. DAMN! they give you one hell of a grace period with temp tags in Texas. I picked up mine on Friday and my temp tags expire next Monday. Thanks Virginia, I was going to end up going on vacation on expired tags if they hadn't decided to Fedex me a set.

Last edited by Carac; 10-09-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

Sam,

Congrats on getting your i8! I also live in Plano and received mine a week ago.

Comfort Access is not on the i8. Sorta sucks, especially when you are already addicted to it on your other BMWs.

I suspect that we will see it on 2015 i8s, along with other potential option. I also expect to see a hefty price increase.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

In the UK at least, comfort access is an option while comfort engine start is standard. It will be on mine (arriving mid Nov !!!) and comes with sensors etc in the 'crevace' of the door handles so that it can detect the presence of a hand. Or so I'm told, not seen the feature in person but definitely ticked the box on it when specing.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
I suspect that we will see it on 2015 i8s, along with other potential option. I also expect to see a hefty price increase.
Along with blindspot detection and adaptive cruise...and I bet they're tired of seeing dealers make all the profit with markups so they'll fix that with MSRP they'll justify with the added features. I'd like to be proven wrong, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
SamsterfromTX
Rep

Thanks everybody, makes me feel better.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
SamsterfromTX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
Sam,

Congrats on getting your i8! I also live in Plano and received mine a week ago.

Comfort Access is not on the i8. Sorta sucks, especially when you are already addicted to it on your other BMWs.

Congrats on your car!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
SamsterfromTX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggsy View Post
In the UK at least, comfort access is an option while comfort engine start is standard. It will be on mine (arriving mid Nov !!!) and comes with sensors etc in the 'crevace' of the door handles so that it can detect the presence of a hand. Or so I'm told, not seen the feature in person but definitely ticked the box on it when specing.
Not an option in the US, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #9
gadgetfreaky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550

what? really? no comfort access door access? ugh.. taking the keys out to unlock & lock the door seemingly is like going back in time. It's one of the best features I've had in my 2006 550.

Did they say which month production it'll be included?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #10
SamsterfromTX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
what? really? no comfort access door access? ugh.. taking the keys out to unlock & lock the door seemingly is like going back in time. It's one of the best features I've had in my 2006 550.

Did they say which month production it'll be included?
They didn't, except that it will be in the 2015 model cars. It is actually the worst of both worlds because you have to get the fob out of your pocket (or purse), unlock the car then there is no place to fit it in, so you either pout it back in your pocket or leave it on the console. I have done both and either got out of the car forgetting the key inside or got irritated that I had to get the key out of my pocket again, to lock the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
garage queen 335is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 I8, 2016 M2, E46 M3 race

Beautiful women are not perfect either. I love my car with all the "faults"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
gadgetfreaky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsterfromTX View Post
They didn't, except that it will be in the 2015 model cars. It is actually the worst of both worlds because you have to get the fob out of your pocket (or purse), unlock the car then there is no place to fit it in, so you either pout it back in your pocket or leave it on the console. I have done both and either got out of the car forgetting the key inside or got irritated that I had to get the key out of my pocket again, to lock the car.
is what is shipping now 2014? when is 2015 shipping? would that be January cars? Wonder if it's something they could upgrade later?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
SamsterfromTX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage queen 335is View Post
Beautiful women are not perfect either. I love my car with all the "faults"
Sexy car!! Love the blue. Yeah, I'm grateful I have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
is what is shipping now 2014? when is 2015 shipping? would that be January cars? Wonder if it's something they could upgrade later?
Mine is a 2014. I asked about a retrofit and they didn't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
JWDnl
JD Customs
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Comfort access is on my (Dutch) i8 and I use it most of the time to unlock the car.
To lock the car you have to place your finger on a piece of plastic next to the door and that doesn't work too well, sometimes it takes very long and people who are already looking at you and the car start wondering if you have glued your finger to the car while you are impatiently waiting for the doors to lock.
I gave up after using it a few times, maybe I'll start using it again when people stop looking at the car .

So if you don't have it don't be sad it's a nice but not a perfect feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
SamsterfromTX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDnl View Post
Comfort access is on my (Dutch) i8 and I use it most of the time to unlock the car.
To lock the car you have to place your finger on a piece of plastic next to the door and that doesn't work too well, sometimes it takes very long and people who are already looking at you and the car start wondering if you have glued your finger to the car while you are impatiently waiting for the doors to lock.
I gave up after using it a few times, maybe I'll start using it again when people stop looking at the car .

So if you don't have it don't be sad it's a nice but not a perfect feature.
I just went out and tried again and it didn't lock or unlock. I went on the UK configurator and it is totally different than the US. On that configurator there are many stand alone options, including comfort access. In the US, there are three packages and that's it so the European market seems to be different (better) Good to know it is not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

congrats.....I don't even know my production date yet, so count yourself lucky.

I have to ask you for a comparison between the GT3 and i8. If you could only have one, which one would you pick - that is my current dilemma, because I have not been able to drive the i8....the unknown is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
SamsterfromTX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
congrats.....I don't even know my production date yet, so count yourself lucky.

I have to ask you for a comparison between the GT3 and i8. If you could only have one, which one would you pick - that is my current dilemma, because I have not been able to drive the i8....the unknown is killing me.
They are totally different cars and I think a more fair comparison would be with the 911 Carrera S or Carrera 4S, in which case I would possibly choose the i8 (I owned a 911 C4S). The GT3 is a raw car that is track oriented, loud, fast, handles like its on rails. The i8 is a refined, sexy, futuristic and highly capable car. It's like comparing a MMA champ to a top ballet dancer from the Bolchoi.
Appreciate 0