F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 4 series Coupe or Gran Coupe?
proTUNING Freaks

10-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
SSonics
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32

Post 4 series Coupe or Gran Coupe?

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am thinking to get the 4series (M-sport package) soon but I am a little bit confused on which type should I get.

4 series Coupe

4 series Gran Coupe

I would love to have the pros/cons and input for these two cars. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
yerffejleahcim
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 Alpine White

4 Gran Coupe

Pros - 4 doors and hatch.

2016 F80 M3 Alpine White / Sakhir Orange / DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
LS1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hopefully 435i soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerffejleahcim View Post
4 Gran Coupe

Pros - 4 doors and hatch.
/End.

Weight difference in minimal: 1,585kg (435i coupe) vs 1,650kg (435i gran coupe).

Handling? Again, should be minimal; the track width and wheelbase remain the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
SSonics
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1990 View Post
/End.

Weight difference in minimal: 1,585kg (435i coupe) vs 1,650kg (435i gran coupe).

Handling? Again, should be minimal; the track width and wheelbase remain the same.
how about the length and height of the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
yerffejleahcim
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuko13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1990 View Post
/End.

how about the length and height of the car?
Same exact length and height.

2016 F80 M3 Alpine White / Sakhir Orange / DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuko13 View Post
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am thinking to get the 4series (M-sport package) soon but I am a little bit confused on which type should I get.

4 series Coupe

4 series Gran Coupe

I would love to have the pros/cons and input for these two cars. Thanks a lot!
Performance Wise hey are basically the same, It just comes down to function, which one suits your needs more, the Gran Coupe is definitely more Practical because of the four doors and hatchback.

I know I love mine!! I love opening the Hatch everyday and seeing that huge accessible space! And it's so bright at night with 3 lights lighting it up. If you carry stuff the GC is the choice.
Attached Images

My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share

Last edited by DJ Rocc; 10-08-2014 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

I personally love the two door design of the coupe.

Then again I don't have kids and don't haul too many things at a time...
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
Br0okLYnzSouLJa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi Coupe

I've personally always been a coupe person. All my cars have been 2 doors. I think the 435 coupe looks so sleek and sporty, yet still luxurious.

2009 E92 Alpine White 335xi | Alpine 8000K HIDs | 10000K Fog HIDs | Tints | Injen Dual Air Intake | Clarion VZ401 | 12" L7 Kicker | JB4 G5 | M6 Gunmetal Rims | Weisslicht White LEDS | ALPINA Flash!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

You're paying for 4 doors of which the rear seats aren't significantly better than those of the coupe.

Buy a sedan if you really intend on having people in the back seat otherwise coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I cross shopped the 4GC with the F31. Do you have kids? A dog? A mountain bike? I'm not sure why you would need a GC over a coupe, so it's hard to recommend one over the other. I will say that that backseat of the GC is not easy to get in and out of compared to a full size sedan because the rear doors are small, don't open very wide, and the seats themselves (while an ample size) sit just aft of the actual door frame, making entry/exit awkward.

And while the boot size of the GC is decent, if a little small, with the sharp slope of the roof, it's not as usable as a wagon, although offers more convenience than a standard sedan boot.

Keep in mind that the GC is still a *coupe*. The utility it offers over the 2 door coupe is almost negligible.

Between this and the rear door issue, I ditched it in favor of the F31. But we have a dog, and a 3 month old and frequently need to transport all of the attendant items, which may be very different from your situation. We could get all that stuff in a GC, but it would have been filled to the gills and slightly uncomfortable. And we wouldn't have room for anyone or anything else, which does become necessary sometimes.

What else are you comparing this to? Have you narrowed your choice to only the 4 series? If so, just consider what you'll be doing with it. If you actually need utility, and you have a small family, I would consider something else all together. If on the other hand, a coupe would be sufficient, I personally wouldn't bother with the GC. Will this be a lease? I think the residual may be better with the GC? I didn't look at the coupe so I'm not sure. That might be enough to justify the GC. Otherwise, coupe.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
SSonics
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
Performance Wise hey are basically the same, It just comes down to function, which one suits your needs more, the Gran Coupe is definitely more Practical because of the four doors and hatchback.

I know I love mine!! I love opening the Hatch everyday and seeing that huge accessible space! And it's so bright at night with 3 lights lighting it up. If you carry stuff the GC is the choice.
Is it just me or the rear end of GC looks a little bit different from the coupe one? Anyway, thats a clean car you got there!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I love my coupe, but me gf makes fun of my for not having 4 doors. I like the GC for functionality.

Or maybe I should get a new gf..?

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
SSonics
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I love my coupe, but me gf makes fun of my for not having 4 doors. I like the GC for functionality.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Boils down to how many doors you need.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #15
Vipor
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I cross shopped the 4GC with the F31. Do you have kids? A dog? A mountain bike? I'm not sure why you would need a GC over a coupe, so it's hard to recommend one over the other. I will say that that backseat of the GC is not easy to get in and out of compared to a full size sedan because the rear doors are small, don't open very wide, and the seats themselves (while an ample size) sit just aft of the actual door frame, making entry/exit awkward.

And while the boot size of the GC is decent, if a little small, with the sharp slope of the roof, it's not as usable as a wagon, although offers more convenience than a standard sedan boot.

Keep in mind that the GC is still a *coupe*. The utility it offers over the 2 door coupe is almost negligible.

Between this and the rear door issue, I ditched it in favor of the F31. But we have a dog, and a 3 month old and frequently need to transport all of the attendant items, which may be very different from your situation. We could get all that stuff in a GC, but it would have been filled to the gills and slightly uncomfortable. And we wouldn't have room for anyone or anything else, which does become necessary sometimes.

What else are you comparing this to? Have you narrowed your choice to only the 4 series? If so, just consider what you'll be doing with it. If you actually need utility, and you have a small family, I would consider something else all together. If on the other hand, a coupe would be sufficient, I personally wouldn't bother with the GC. Will this be a lease? I think the residual may be better with the GC? I didn't look at the coupe so I'm not sure. That might be enough to justify the GC. Otherwise, coupe.
Excellent analysis. When I was considering my 4-series, I went to the dealership to "sit" in them and see how they felt. Having a wife and 2-yr old, I knew I would not "NEED" this ride for family commutes as I do have a 4-door Tundra pickup truck for that. This ride would be primarily for me to commute to work and back rather than use my huge gas hog on my 80 mile round-trip daily work commute. So, I wanted to see if I would be comfortable in the 4-series. I found I had issues getting into the 4 door. I used to have a Lexus iS350 4-door before I got the Tundra. Had purchased the Lexus as a family car for family commutes. Reason I got rid of it in favor of the Tundra was the driver door was so short that I kept hitting the frame when trying to climb in and out. Well, while at the BMW dealership, I found the 4-door 4-series had the same issue for me, and I'm only 5'10", 190lbs. I then sat in the 2-door and I got in quite comfortably. Again, mind you, this vehicle was not intended to be a family vehicle for me. Had the 4-door been easy for me to climb in, I would not have minded getting it and use it for family commutes regularly. However, that small door entry killed the 4-door for me.

My point? Go sit in both models and see how you feel in them. If the 4-door is comfortable to get in for you, that model may have more benefits (especially if you have a family). If no family and don't mind the awkward entry to the back seat, the 2-door is quite sporty.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuko13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post

Maybe it's I just want something different. The F30 in all black is looking really good to me after my lease is up..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
SSonics
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipor View Post
Excellent analysis. When I was considering my 4-series, I went to the dealership to "sit" in them and see how they felt. Having a wife and 2-yr old, I knew I would not "NEED" this ride for family commutes as I do have a 4-door Tundra pickup truck for that. This ride would be primarily for me to commute to work and back rather than use my huge gas hog on my 80 mile round-trip daily work commute. So, I wanted to see if I would be comfortable in the 4-series. I found I had issues getting into the 4 door. I used to have a Lexus iS350 4-door before I got the Tundra. Had purchased the Lexus as a family car for family commutes. Reason I got rid of it in favor of the Tundra was the driver door was so short that I kept hitting the frame when trying to climb in and out. Well, while at the BMW dealership, I found the 4-door 4-series had the same issue for me, and I'm only 5'10", 190lbs. I then sat in the 2-door and I got in quite comfortably. Again, mind you, this vehicle was not intended to be a family vehicle for me. Had the 4-door been easy for me to climb in, I would not have minded getting it and use it for family commutes regularly. However, that small door entry killed the 4-door for me.

My point? Go sit in both models and see how you feel in them. If the 4-door is comfortable to get in for you, that model may have more benefits (especially if you have a family). If no family and don't mind the awkward entry to the back seat, the 2-door is quite sporty.
Thanks for the input! These are some great points that I could really use for choosing which type that suits me. I have no family yet and I dont really use the car for anything rather than going to work and hanging out. But sometimes I need to pick up a couple of friends and the thoughts of having to move out of the car every time kinda bothers me.
Anyway, I have seen the coupe and have myself sit in there. Have not seen the GC yet but to me the front view from the driver seat is kinda small/narrow, any insight from the GC point of view??
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #18
Vipor
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 Alpine White

Quote:
Thanks for the input! These are some great points that I could really use for choosing which type that suits me. I have no family yet and I dont really use the car for anything rather than going to work and hanging out. But sometimes I need to pick up a couple of friends and the thoughts of having to move out of the car every time kinda bothers me.
Anyway, I have seen the coupe and have myself sit in there. Have not seen the GC yet but to me the front view from the driver seat is kinda small/narrow, any insight from the GC point of view??
Then I would say your decision to make is... what's more important?

Me being comfortable every day that I drive to work (big door on 2-door) and my friends being inconvenienced the couple times a week they get in my car (awkward entry into back seat).

or

My friends being comfortable having their own door to get into my car the couple times a week (4 door) and me dealing with a smaller door to get in/out of my car every day I drive to work.

Your choice bud.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Since I own a 435i coupe I am biased. I think the coupe looks better but if you need 4 doors the 435GC is the best looking sedan that BMW has right now in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
One advantage of small doors is that you don't need the space to open them. Especially in Tight quarters.

I know that comes in handy for me every day. I am 5' 9 1/2" 220 and have no problem with hitting my head, just have to support your weight more when getting into lower cars like the 4 Series. Coming from a VW Tiguan, it has been a little bit of an adjustment, but I don't mind.

Now the view out the front glass is fine, a bit narrow vertically where you can put down the sunvisor and almost hide yourself......LOL, but it does not interfere with driving.

What I would recommend to you if you get any of those vehicles, is not to tint too dark, because the inside is already pretty dark, and seeing out the rear window can be difficult at night (or get the rear camera).

Definitely get the Adaptive Suspension, it floats over the bumps!!

Things that I probably should have gotten with mine are:

Cameras (All)
and folding mirrors.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share

Last edited by DJ Rocc; 10-08-2014 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #21
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Is it just me or the rear end of GC looks a little bit different from the coupe one? Anyway, thats a clean car you got there!
thanks that was straight from the dealership.

the glass is a bit different in the rearview of the gc vs c.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #22
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Let us know what you decide OP ...
Appreciate 0