THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Headlights failure - day running lights defect atfer car wash

10-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
disprin
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235i

Headlights failure - day running lights defect atfer car wash

Hi
I have just registered here to get a more wider auditorium
I am from Germany more than 45 years old and bought my first BMW lately – also my first 6 cylinder car… and!
I do love it !!!

But now I have a problem with my headlights:
After going through the carwash it happens approx. 3-4 hours later, that I got a message in my display “sidelight/Dayrunning lights defect”
And yeah – the angel eyes on the left/driver side only are not glowing (only the angel eyes are dark – the "brow" above is still on).

This has happened 2 times and both it was a few hours after leaving the car wash (once the day running light was off, the other time the “welcome light” was off – same side, same angel eyes only).

1 – 2 hours (and a little drive) later everything is fine again.
Here in Germany we had one 2-series driver with the same problem – but only once.
Had anyone of you recognised this same issues?

I assume there is something with the LED electronics where water is coming in (high pressure pre-wash in the car wash).

Anyone of you seen the dealer on this?

Thank you very much and regards from Germany

PS: Did I say how much I do love the car - YES I DID!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

I would take it in to the dealer. Some car washes have high pressure undercarriage sprays, it's possible it's shooting at just the right angle to get behind the seal of the light. Either way, it's likely a sign of a defective seal.

If you wanted to DIY diagnose it, take it for a carwash, then right after if it happens again pop the hood and peek behind the light with a flashlight to see if you can see any seals or cable that may be loose or have water pooling.

Either way, the car is under warranty so it's probably a quick fix but this is one of those problems where if it doesn't happen while it's in front of the dealer, they'll give you the car back saying it's fine.
      10-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
disprin
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235i

I managed to drive it in front of the dealer when it happend.
He did see it - no way back.

But it is one of the problems, where you have to try and search for the seal or part beeing the problem.
That is what makes me a little bit nervous
Appreciate 0