E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Most Accurate Dyno? Lack of low RPM power

10-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
m80theWolf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Most Accurate Dyno? Lack of low RPM power

I'm going to put my 335d on the dyno for two reasons:

1st - as a diagnostic tool. I always read about our cars' "face-flattening torque" off the line, and I don't really get that sensation. My car doesn't feel fast until about 2300-2500 RPM and then runs out of puff around 4500 RPM. In fact, I have a hard time breaking the tires loose from a dig with TC off - mid turn no problem going sideways, but I'm at higher RPM's by then. I'm concerned the small turbo isn't doing its job.

An accurate dyno would give me a good look at when my car is making power. Our cars are rated for around 425 tq at 1750 RPM, so I'd expect an accurate dyno to show around 370 tq at the wheels early in the rev range. If the chart shows the car building all the way to the mid 2K RPM range, I'll have a good idea that something is wrong and I can bring my un-modded car to the dealership for a warranty covered work-over.

2nd - based on the results, if my car is actually making full power all the way through and it's my butt dyno that's inaccurate, I'd like to slap on a JBD and have a baseline pull vs JBD pull. I'm a numbers nerd, and if I go JBD I don't want to it blind, I'll want hard numbers to look at (and I can share the results here of course).

So, for my application should I seek out a shop with a Mustang, dynojet, dynapack?

Also, anyone know of a good shop with a dyno in the north Orange County area? COBB has a good reputation in Huntington Beach, not sure what type of dyno they use though.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

I prefer dynapack.. Especially if you have the run flats and stock wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
m80theWolf
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
I prefer dynapack.. Especially if you have the run flats and stock wheels
I have stock wheels, but I actually just switched to non-RFT.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

FWIW, the face flattening torque that people talk about is going to depend on what you drove before. I never felt like the acceleration stock was face flattening. I felt it was strong, had good low end power but wasnt ridiculous. Your butt dyno might be ok if your reference point is a car that is similarly fast in a straight line.

Breaking the tires loose isnt really a great test. I dont break the tires loose on the street unless I brake boost launch in first, which I dont do because thats just silly. My car has JBD/meth and runs track calculated 0-60 of 4.2s
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
m80theWolf
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
FWIW, the face flattening torque that people talk about is going to depend on what you drove before. I never felt like the acceleration stock was face flattening. I felt it was strong, had good low end power but wasnt ridiculous. Your butt dyno might be ok if your reference point is a car that is similarly fast in a straight line.

Breaking the tires loose isnt really a great test. I dont break the tires loose on the street unless I brake boost launch in first, which I dont do because thats just silly. My car has JBD/meth and runs track calculated 0-60 of 4.2s
Good to hear. Maybe it's just my frame of reference then.

On an unrelated note, what's up with JBD in california? The burger website won't ship to CA anymore, anyone know of another outlet besides going used?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

I didn't even know that. I would have someone out of state forward it to me. Alternatively, there are other similar piggybacks which might ship to CA.
Appreciate 0