E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2007 335i e90 82k mile warranty/advice

09-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
bsharin
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

2007 335i e90 82k mile warranty/advice

Hi,

Was hoping that I would be able to get some advice from all of you regarding the longevity of my car and options that I might have. My questions lie with the recommendations of getting an extended warranty and potential major cost repairs that I may encounter in the future. Read some great things on here about PenFed warranty.

Here is some background information.

I bought a 2007 BMW 335i Sedan with 35k miles at the end of 2009 as a CA buyback for the high pressure fuel pump failure. It had a CPO warranty for 5 years/100k miles too. I made the decision to take the potential resale debacle risk since this car was clean besides a known issue with the HPFP that ultimately was recalled a few years later and I had a desire to keep the car for a long time.

Since then, I have had no issues with the car until recently when my water pump died at almost exactly 80k miles. I had a feeling this was coming as I have read that the water pump in our cars fail around 80-100k on average.

I plan on keeping my car for at least another 3 years. I put about 8-10k miles a year. My biggest worry is that the turbos fail. I have not really been able to find any information on the chances of this happening? I have no wastegate rattle currently. Is this something that I should be concerned about over the next 30k miles? What else has a high likelihood of failing in the future? I don't have a problem dropping a couple of grand on a warranty but just want to make the best educated decision.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
335speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 550

Garage List
2007 BMW E90  [10.00]
Only putting that many miles on it a year i really wouldnt worry that much. Biggest issues that would fail to make a warranty worthwhile would be abs pump failure, or tranny issues in my opinion. Turbos take a long time to go once you start hearing rattle usually and can probably be fixed for less than a warranty as well. Id say no to the warranty unless you have the worst luck or its some sort of spectacular deal
Appreciate 0