E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New owner with question about Oil status

09-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
93civEJ1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 01 Z06

New owner with question about Oil status

I know I am probably beating a dead horse and its been said a million times. Forgive me. Its probably also in my manual, but im not around it.

With that said. I am not sure at what point I am on my oil change since I just got the car almost a week ago.

I look at my oil level and it shows right on the max tick on my instrument cluster.

I look at the service center and it shows a date that is far from now and 16000 miles.

It has said 16,000 miles every time I check it . Does this number not go down? 16,000 seems a bit far fetched. I could maybe see half that at maybe 7-8..and even that is a stretch for me.

So with that said...yeah...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
I know I am probably beating a dead horse and its been said a million times. Forgive me. Its probably also in my manual, but im not around it.

With that said. I am not sure at what point I am on my oil change since I just got the car almost a week ago.

I look at my oil level and it shows right on the max tick on my instrument cluster.

I look at the service center and it shows a date that is far from now and 16000 miles.

It has said 16,000 miles every time I check it . Does this number not go down? 16,000 seems a bit far fetched. I could maybe see half that at maybe 7-8..and even that is a stretch for me.

The system runs a variety of checks to crate the oil change reading. It goes down every 1k miles. Personally I don't go by that shit.. Just change your oil every 5k miles and call it a day.. And call the dealer to find out when the last time they changed the oil on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
E92Moe
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 auto

I agree with Delta - I used to follow the cars oil interval but started noticing some sludging and also the Vanos solenoids started giving CEL lights (Likely due to dirty oil clogging them)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Topic has been thoroughly beaten to death. Change the oil when you want. You can follow the CBS if you want or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post

I personally changed my oil within the first two weeks of owning my car even though the previous owner said he has "recently done it". It's not much so i rather be proactive about it since I plan to keep it for a long time (hopefully :P)....and definitely dont go by when BMW system recommends you to change oil, I think the interval is like 15k miles which is outrageous. I would follow that interval if I'm leasing or simply dont plan to keep it longer than a couple of years. But if you're looking for long term ownershhip...then do your car and yourself a favor, change it once every 5k miles ideally...or 7k at most.
Appreciate 0