Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
StBS
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M4 SS

BMW gps tracking capabilities

Does anybody know if you can use teleservice/connectedDrive as a alarm feature with track and trace?

To get my M4 insurance here in Belgium I need to have that in my car. Otherwise I have to pay twice as much .

My friend new Porsche Macan has it as a programmable feature.
      09-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but if you're asking if the BMW has GPS tracking for theft recovery purposes, then yes it's a standard feature (at least in the US) and yes it saves a lot of money on insurance
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
StBS
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but if you're asking if the BMW has GPS tracking for theft recovery purposes, then yes it's a standard feature (at least in the US) and yes it saves a lot of money on insurance
Thanks
That is what I needed to know.
Now hoping that I can activate it here.
      09-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
L3x
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBS View Post
Does anybody know if you can use teleservice/connectedDrive as a alarm feature with track and trace?

To get my M4 insurance here in Belgium I need to have that in my car. Otherwise I have to pay twice as much .

I don't think it can, but I know your problem cause I had it as well here in Belgium. But putting some pressure on my agent and insurance got me insurance for the original fee, I did take a higher "own risk" tho. That whole GPS tracking isn't worth alot anymore anyway, thiefs have scramblers that steel these type cars and get rid on the traceren.

My best advice is keep pressure on the agent, tell them its useluss and maybe you can settle with a higher "own risk". Worked for me.
If that all fails tell the insurance company that if they want it they should build it in at their cost and they pay the subscribtion, its only to cover their own ass! What are you paying the insurance for then?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
StBS
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3x View Post
What are you paying the insurance for then?
Al the price quotes i've got was from €3800 till €5500. All with a minimum alarm system IM + TT1 or TT2.
(full omnium)
      12-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
Carmantose
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is some third party solutions for that. I've been using http://gpswox.com/en/gps-trackers-sh...ement-system-1 gps tracking system for my wife new vw cc. In my case there was no need to install it to get cheaper insurance. But it is good for common security. Tested that gps wox, and continue to use it further. Also there is so many more gps tracking providers on market. Maybe someone else have experience with them

Last edited by Carmantose; 04-11-2017 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
sydenfareren
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2017 SMB M4

Garage List
2017 Bmw M4  [0.00]
2008 335I  [10.00]
I Have the same situation in Norway. They wont insure my M4 unless i have a tracker system...
I have a friend with a audi a3, and he knows where the car is at all time via the conected drive system have.
I sent an email to my dealer today to hear it from him if i can use the connected drive system as an approved tracker.

Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trygveognedal/
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBS View Post

In a sense yes it does. Use the BMW Remote app. It has a map feature where you can pinpoint the exact location of the car. IMO - it's spot on.

If your car was indeed stolen, I believe as long as the battery is connected the GPS will be enabled.

Also, if you call BMW services they can locate your car down to a few feet using the same method. I forgot my PIN number for the app and hit the SOS button. The agent asked me all these verification questions and what not. Then was like is your car located at XXXXXXXXXXX street? Should your car be stolen, I'm positive BMW would have zero problems locating it within minutes after you call and notify them.

These types of services aren't really an "alarm" more like a recovery feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #9
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Is it a US spec or Euro Spec car? If its a US spec car then your GPS services won't work till you bring the car to the US and BMW does have location services.

As far as insurance, I had Meeus when I was in The Netherlands and they charged me 2100 Euros/year. I had to put a class 5 Alarm (that includes GPS jam alarm activation/starter disable) on the car to get that lowest rate and I'm sure that's what your current insurance provider is asking you to get.

Appreciate 0