E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Paddle Shift Steering retrofit?

09-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

Paddle Shift Steering retrofit?

Hi guys

Really miss the paddles from when i had my 335d

Just wanted to know if i source a paddle shift steering wheel for my pre lci 330d, how easy is it to get it working on my non paddle shift set up at the moment?

Any advice appreciated so i know if worth it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

Its fairly easy, remember on pre-lci vehicles paddle shift will only work in DS mode, have look here! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...o+paddle+shift showing how its done.
I sourced my cables and connector pins from scrap computers which are exactly the same as shown from my local re-cycle centre and just followed the wiring instructions, the tricky bit is you will have to remove the steering wheel for the slip ring connector to identify the connectors for the wiring but I found it quite straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
vtwin_man
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilly View Post
Its fairly easy, remember on pre-lci vehicles paddle shift will only work in DS mode, have look here! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...o+paddle+shift showing how its done.
I sourced my cables and connector pins from scrap computers which are exactly the same as shown from my local re-cycle centre and just followed the wiring instructions, the tricky bit is you will have to remove the steering wheel for the slip ring connector to identify the connectors for the wiring but I found it quite straight forward.
My 330d pre lci paddles work in D & Ds modes? I can drop a couple of gears in D for a swift overtake and the box reverts to D after a few seconds. In Ds the box stays in whatever gear I select with the paddles until I use them again or use the lever to change.
Is that unusual then?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin_man View Post
My 330d pre lci paddles work in D & Ds modes? I can drop a couple of gears in D for a swift overtake and the box reverts to D after a few seconds. In Ds the box stays in whatever gear I select with the paddles until I use them again or use the lever to change.
Is that unusual then?
this is what I had read, my 2006 e91 paddles will only work in ds mode, maybe it doesn't apply to all pre-lci model years?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Adam1712
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin_man View Post
Is that unusual then?
Mine is like this, I assumed it's normal...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1712 View Post
Mine is like this, I assumed it's normal...
have they been retro-fitted? I may be wrong but from what I remember the retro-fitted paddles on early e90/e91 only worked in d/s mode, it was only on the later pre-lci and lci models that were retro-fitted worked in both auto and d/s, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Anyone know how to get the airbag off? I have paddles on mine but want to change the way they work(left down , right up) but can't find out how to get the airbag out of the wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
vtwin_man
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
have they been retro-fitted? I may be wrong but from what I remember the retro-fitted paddles on early e90/e91 only worked in d/s mode, it was only on the later pre-lci and lci models that were retro-fitted worked in both auto and d/s, anyone?
Mine is a late 2008 pre lci, maybe just been lucky? According to the factory spec sheet the car was supplied with the paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin_man
Quote:
Is that unusual then?
Mine is early pre-LCI and it works exactly like yours.
I rather put my car in to DS mode when there is urgency compared to using paddles.
      09-25-2014, 03:15 AM   #10
PAULDON
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 f10

Intresting point that, im always trying to figure out which method is best?. Manual mode or DS mode? , are the revs held higher for every gear in DS mode, and in Manual mode its basically the same revs as D mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Anyone know how to get the airbag off? I have paddles on mine but want to change the way they work(left down , right up) but can't find out how to get the airbag out of the wheel
If the airbag hasn't been off before . . . .

Feel around the back of the wheel hub (i.e. towards the front of the car).
IIRC about the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions you should feel small indentations. These are holes in the wheel that are covered by the wheel material. You need to pierce the material - a Torx screwdriver or Allen key is fine. Thrust the aforementioned driver into the wheel. It will come up against the inside of the airbag module. There is a spring clip that can then be levered back and the airbag can be lifted out. The spring doesn't need to be moved much and it can be fiddly the first time. The bag just clips straight back in.

The holes in the material won't be noticeable unless you're looking for them.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #12
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

Thanks mike , just had a look the other day and couldn't see anything like the photos I had found for the non paddle cars , I thought they might be hidden behind the paddles or something !
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
You have the later type paddles I presume??
And you want to change to the earlier type that were push/pull to change down/up from either side of the wheel??

It's not straightforward as I've looked at this.
My first 335 was an LCi, but had earlier type paddles on (push/pull). My latest one has the later pull paddles. For a lot of my paddle usage, I do prefer the earlier type, although I must admit, the later type do look nicer.

The push/pull paddles use discrete switches.
The later pull paddles use pull-up resistors with the switch, so direct replacement is not possible. The fit isn't as good when you put early paddles on a later wheel, but it's not noticeable unless you know the gap is there. They use different mounting screws too.

I did promise myself that I would investigate a small circuit to convert back to early type paddles, but never got round to it.

I did get a fair amount of flack as the general concensus on here is the later ones are better - with the M3 type blades even better still.
I'm old fashioned and prefer function over form!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

Mine is a 2007 pre lci 335d , both paddles push/pull and work the gearbox

They are the switch type with 3 wires as far as I know , just need to get the air bag off , swap and splice a wire or 2 and il be good to go
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

Make sure you don't break the lock tabs on the airbag wires where they plug into the boss. If you do then you need a new cable otherwise you end up with a permanent airbag fault light. (No need to guess how I found that one out! )

Also others might like to know that if removing an SE wheel airbag the spring clip release method is different to that described above. A long thin screwdriver is inserted through similar depressions/holes but vertically and then levered sideways.

I replaced my SE wheel with a Sport type with paddles bought on ebay. I bought a wiring kit and proper instructions from Burger Tuning in the US as I didn't want to get it totally wrong and mess up the cars electrics. An expensive way of doing it but safe. Works perfectly.

Last edited by Tipper; 09-27-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

one thing make sure you don't turn the ignition with the airbag removed as it will throw a fault best leave the key indoors while you fit the wheel!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:19 AM   #17
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Any factory fitted paddles will work in D and D/S mode which i believe came standard at 57+ on the 330. 335 have them at start of production 56, some retro fitted paddles only work in D/S and this is what is putting me off retro fitting mine, if i am sure i will get it to work in D 100% i will go and do it this week, does anyone know how to get round only working in D/S?

The reason i want paddles is simply because i cannot be bothered to use the shifter lol, its old school!
The paddles are so much easier and when youve got someone messing around with you, one click and its down rather then shift your knob across for D/S and up
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
bazz780
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
Any factory fitted paddles will work in D and D/S mode which i believe came standard at 57+ on the 330. 335 have them at start of production 56, some retro fitted paddles only work in D/S and this is what is putting me off retro fitting mine, if i am sure i will get it to work in D 100% i will go and do it this week, does anyone know how to get round only working in D/S?

The reason i want paddles is simply because i cannot be bothered to use the shifter lol, its old school!
The paddles are so much easier and when youve got someone messing around with you, one click and its down rather then shift your knob across for D/S and up
precisely why i wanted to change mine to paddle shift but no point if only working in ds mode
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #19
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz780 View Post
precisely why i wanted to change mine to paddle shift but no point if only working in ds mode
this is why i may just go back to 335d but the 330d is such a good engine. if i came across a 330d with paddles and all the extras id want id have it but theres always something on a car you see that doesnt tick every box

but as i said. some do work in D mode and some only in D/S. i dont wanna risk doing all the setup wiring and buying new parts and being out of pocket to find it only works in DS
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #20
bazz780
Captain
Rep

Quote:
this is why i may just go back to 335d but the 330d is such a good engine. if i came across a 330d with paddles and all the extras id want id have it but theres always something on a car you see that doesnt tick every box

but as i said. some do work in D mode and some only in D/S. i dont wanna risk doing all the setup wiring and buying new parts and being out of pocket to find it only works in DS
Like my car, had what i wanted except xenons which I find a MUST on all good looking cars,

In the end just bought it without xenons and living with it as can not justify retrofit costs.

Paddles however are very useful when you need to use the instant power etc
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #21
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz780 View Post
Like my car, had what i wanted except xenons which I find a MUST on all good looking cars,

In the end just bought it without xenons and living with it as can not justify retrofit costs.

Paddles however are very useful when you need to use the instant power etc
paddles are useful for sure, but i think just looking at them every morning will put a big on my face
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #22
vtwin_man
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
paddles are useful for sure, but i think just looking at them every morning will put a big on my face
To be honest, most of the time they just sit there looking all shiny and important and it's fairly rarely that I use them 😳
Appreciate 0