Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

09-21-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Hey Fellas new guy here

Whatsup everyone.

Names Travis. Just took delivery this past week of my SO/SS f80 and pretty excited about it. Also just found out this week that when i come back from from overseas in a few months I'll be headed to New Jersey. Was wondering if theres a pretty big car scene there and do you guys get together often and organize meets and things. I know they usually have the bimmerfest east coast up that way.

Also sense I'll be arriving in winter whats snow removal like in the Jersey area? Do they use salt there? If so I'd like to get my undercarriage sealed. Do you guys feel snow tires are a must in winter.

All in all very excited to get back the US and to be around several tuning shops and dealers. Hope to meet and make some friends.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Viking123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Congrats!

There's lots of salt here... That said, unless you are keeping your cars for a very long time I'd consider skipping the treatment... Modern cars withstand rust remarkably well and you should not see any issues for many years to come.

Winter tires are an absolute must. The car comes with summer tires and these are completely useless on snow or ice. Very different from all season tires that most cars come with. There are also lots of potholes in the winter. I've ordered a set of 18 inch dedicated rims for the winter (I think the 19s are too low profile for the winter here).

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Well I ordered my car with the 18s so maybe I can just switch tires as long as I can find some snow ones wide enough. And I forgot to mention that I have driven in snow before. Was stationed in North Dakota for 4 years and drove an s2000 for 2 years there. In winter too lol. So I'm a snow pro. Just wasn't sure how much snow fall you guys get to know if winter tires are worth it or not. Over here in Spain these people don't even know what winter wheels and tires are lol.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
The snow season here can be hit or miss. Sometimes it snows like crazy, other times its pretty mild. Either way, winter tires are a must. If you keep changing tires on the same rims, you will start to get nicks and scratches. If you have 18's, you might want to consider putting winter tires on them and buy some summer rims/tires later on.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah
The snow season here can be hit or miss. Sometimes it snows like crazy, other times its pretty mild. Either way, winter tires are a must. If you keep changing tires on the same rims, you will start to get nicks and scratches. If you have 18's, you might want to consider putting winter tires on them and buy some summer rims/tires later on.
Good idea. Use them as the winters and get a nice summer 19 set.

Appreciate 0