E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMS DP, Cel fix and COBB tune question

09-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
e92proper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335 / 2013 X3

BMS DP, Cel fix and COBB tune question

About to pull the triggers on a BMS DP......I have COBB AP-v3, CP, K&N drop-in and BMW Perf exhaust. I know COBB corrects the light, but is there a real fix out there yet?

And, for those that have done dp w COBB, is it worth it? And what map can I run with above mods
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92proper View Post
About to pull the triggers on a BMS DP......I have COBB AP-v3, CP, K&N drop-in and BMW Perf exhaust. I know COBB corrects the light, but is there a real fix out there yet?

And, for those that have done dp w COBB, is it worth it? And what map can I run with above mods
dp is definitely worth it! A protune with those mods would be your best bet.

No dp fix for the n55 yet unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

VSRF needs to get on that
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
VSRF needs to get on that
no kidding. They'd make a killing on it too. I'm sure everyone with an N55 and dp would buy one not to mention all the people that would buy a dp if a fix was available.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

The DP fix that they sell looks like nothing more than a simple resistor....but I could be wrong. If that's the case, man they're making bank off of each one of those.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
The DP fix that they sell looks like nothing more than a simple resistor....but I could be wrong. If that's the case, man they're making bank off of each one of those.
I read somewhere that it's a lot more complicated to make one for the N55, which is why nobody has. I don't know details on why though.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

I am Cobb pro tuned and I had the BMS dp installed last weekend. It's a night and day difference in performance and sound. The car turns heads now every time I drive it. You will love it!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Any particular dp recommendations? Will a catted dp fix the cel?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost
I am Cobb pro tuned and I had the BMS dp installed last weekend. It's a night and day difference in performance and sound. The car turns heads now every time I drive it. You will love it!
What are you're mods? And how hard was it to get pro tuned? I'm in Annapolis, anybody close to here for protuning?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Are you under warranty also?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What are you're mods? And how hard was it to get pro tuned? I'm in Annapolis, anybody close to here for protuning?
I have:

-50% 93/ 50% e85 pro tune done by PTF
-VRSF charge pipe
-BMS DP
-BMS intake
-Alpina b3 flash

I did the e-tune with PTF and it is extremely easy. What they have you do is add the e85 then log with your current OTS map. You send them the logs and they use that to create a custom map based on your modifications, tire set-up, fuel, transmission, etc. When you receive the custom map, you install it, log and send the logs to PTF. They review the logs, make adjustments and send you a revision of the custom map. This process continues back and forth until your car is running perfectly. It could take 10-20 iterations. The thing I like is that the pro tuners at PTF are very knowledgeable. If your car is having issues that are related to the tune then they know what adjustments to make. If your car is having issues unrelated to the tune then they will help you trouble shoot and narrow things down. Also, they offer free lifetime re-tunes if you add mods to the car. For example, I had the pro tune for about a month and decided to add DP. They sent me a revised map to adjust to the DP within a day or so of me sending them logs. There are also shops that do dyno pro tunes but you would have to check Cobb's website to see their locations.

I am under warranty until December and then my CPO kicks in. I found a cool adviser that understands these mods and wont void my warranty simply because my car is modded. In fact, he recommended that I get the DP. In the case that my mods do cause a problem, they will allow me to remove the mods and bring the car back in. I will be removing the tune and intake anyways for visits because it only takes 10 minutes max.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Any particular dp recommendations? Will a catted dp fix the cel?
Catted may not throw a cel but I have heard that some do not pass emissions. And they perform slightly better than stock cats but nothing compared to catless. When you consider that they cost twice as much as catless, it doesn't seem worth it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

The cobb tune can suppress the CEL that would be normally present with a catless dp, it doesn't just clear all codes like other tunes do. It basically ignores the specific code for catalyst efficiency.

I'm holding off on a DP until I can get a definitive answer, has anyone checked OBDII readiness with the Cobb "fix" in place? If it only leaves one monitor in the not ready state I'm fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #14
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have:

-50% 93/ 50% e85 pro tune done by PTF
-VRSF charge pipe
-BMS DP
-BMS intake
-Alpina b3 flash

I did the e-tune with PTF and it is extremely easy. What they have you do is add the e85 then log with your current OTS map. You send them the logs and they use that to create a custom map based on your modifications, tire set-up, fuel, transmission, etc. When you receive the custom map, you install it, log and send the logs to PTF. They review the logs, make adjustments and send you a revision of the custom map. This process continues back and forth until your car is running perfectly. It could take 10-20 iterations. The thing I like is that the pro tuners at PTF are very knowledgeable. If your car is having issues that are related to the tune then they know what adjustments to make. If your car is having issues unrelated to the tune then they will help you trouble shoot and narrow things down. Also, they offer free lifetime re-tunes if you add mods to the car. For example, I had the pro tune for about a month and decided to add DP. They sent me a revised map to adjust to the DP within a day or so of me sending them logs. There are also shops that do dyno pro tunes but you would have to check Cobb's website to see their locations.

I am under warranty until December and then my CPO kicks in. I found a cool adviser that understands these mods and wont void my warranty simply because my car is modded. In fact, he recommended that I get the DP. In the case that my mods do cause a problem, they will allow me to remove the mods and bring the car back in. I will be removing the tune and intake anyways for visits because it only takes 10 minutes max.
Very cool, what is the reasoning for the e85? Just more power? I haven't seen many places to get e85 so I'm pretty sure after I get the dp I will run OTS maps until I can get pro tuned. What would be the ideal map to run OTS with my mods for a little bit? Also where is PTF? Maryland right?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344
The cobb tune can suppress the CEL that would be normally present with a catless dp, it doesn't just clear all codes like other tunes do. It basically ignores the specific code for catalyst efficiency.

I'm holding off on a DP until I can get a definitive answer, has anyone checked OBDII readiness with the Cobb "fix" in place? If it only leaves one monitor in the not ready state I'm fine.
Can you explain why that would away your decision to pull the trigger in the dp?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #16
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

Quote:
Can you explain why that would away your decision to pull the trigger in the dp?
In NY you're allowed 1 ODBII monitor in the "not ready" state to pass emissions. I just don't feel like paying to uninstall / re-install the pipe every year.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Wait, you have a BMW SA that is cool with your mods? Or an Indy SA?
      09-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Very cool, what is the reasoning for the e85? Just more power? I haven't seen many places to get e85 so I'm pretty sure after I get the dp I will run OTS maps until I can get pro tuned. What would be the ideal map to run OTS with my mods for a little bit? Also where is PTF? Maryland right?
Have you tried googling e85 in your area or is that just from what you've seen? E85 makes a significant difference in power. It is definitely worth searching for. If you have 91 octane in your area, then your OTS map would be Stage 2 Sport. If you have 93 octane, your OTS map would be Stage 2 Aggressive. Yes PTF is in Maryland but with an e-tune, location does not matter. They also offer what is called a remote dyno tune where you can use a local tuner's dyno to tune your car also.

Check out their website:
http://www.protuningfreaks.com/tunin...otune-bmw.html
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #19
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Wait, you have a BMW SA that is cool with your mods? Or an Indy SA?
I have an SA that actually came out with the techs when they saw my car (at an unnamed md BMW dealership) and suggested that I get a jb4 for my car, and remove prior to warranty service!!!!!! No bs at all!!! I'm cpo until 2016. 2011 with 20k miles. Lol.

Pm me for the dealer and I'll give you the dirt.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #20
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you tried googling e85 in your area or is that just from what you've seen? E85 makes a significant difference in power. It is definitely worth searching for. If you have 91 octane in your area, then your OTS map would be Stage 2 Sport. If you have 93 octane, your OTS map would be Stage 2 Aggressive. Yes PTF is in Maryland but with an e-tune, location does not matter. They also offer what is called a remote dyno tune where you can use a local tuner's dyno to tune your car also.

Check out their website:
http://www.protuningfreaks.com/tunin...otune-bmw.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.protuning...e-bmw.html</a>
Thanks I just checked out ptf's site! Also yeah have just kinda been scoping around for e85 in my area and haven't seen it, I will look into that. I run 93 all the time and correctly on stg 1 aggressive. Do you think I need fmic when I do dp? I hear mixed stuff on that

I'm worried about the BMS dp though, I want it but I'm concerned about removing it before service. What if my car dies or some shit and I can't get it to my Indy to remove dp? Unlikely but that's what concerns me.

Also any diagnostic work at BMW won't be done until dp is removed just because of present CEL, how do you deal with that??
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks I just checked out ptf's site! Also yeah have just kinda been scoping around for e85 in my area and haven't seen it, I will look into that. I run 93 all the time and correctly on stg 1 aggressive. Do you think I need fmic when I do dp? I hear mixed stuff on that

I'm worried about the BMS dp though, I want it but I'm concerned about removing it before service. What if my car dies or some shit and I can't get it to my Indy to remove dp? Unlikely but that's what concerns me.

Also any diagnostic work at BMW won't be done until dp is removed just because of present CEL, how do you deal with that??
This is something that you would have to speak to your adviser about. By law they have to prove that the dp is the cause of the problem if they are going to deny the warranty work. But some dealerships do not honor that rule. At my dealership, they don't care if I come in with the dp because they understand what problems a dp can and cannot cause. If the dp does turn out to be the problem, they wont work on the car until I come back with it removed.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
e92proper
Banned
Rep

Shoot me a pm with what dealer you use (if you don't mind)
Appreciate 0