BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Please let us know if you have any questions.

Product Description

Stage 1 (DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner ONLY) Maximum Power: 516 HP, 489 lb-ft of torque.

The DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner is a highly engineered and sophisticated piece of computer hardware and software that enhances engine performance, without negating or voiding your new car warranty coverage and without affecting long term reliability or the functionality of on-board diagnostic systems. It was also designed to be emissions legal in 50 states (E.O. Pending). The ultimate objective of developing this piece of technology was to provide the ability to control every signal entering and exiting the BMW factory Engine Control Unit. These items are unique to Dinan and together they embody the apex of performance engineering in a powerful, reliable, and warrantied package.

The Dinan® Difference

The biggest benefit of the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner is our ECU has the…

"…capability of setting an optimum target lambda (fuel mixture) as well as correcting short term trim which is the difference between target and scheduled fuel mixture. By matching these two correctly we can reduce knock sensor activity which will make smoother performance, protect the catalyst, increase power and allow us to make it emissions legal."- Steve Dinan

The Dinan® Difference is possible by employing a full staff of talented engineers that are well rounded in all aspects of their job. Manipulating these signals with an adept hand all the while keeping an engine running at its best and with the most reliable power is what Dinan is all about.

Well Engineered

Plug-in tuning devices all have one thing in common, they send a modified signal to the factory ECU, telling it the boost pressure is below target values. This then causes the factory ECU to raise the boost pressure to what it thinks is the correct value. This modified boost pressure signal causes errors in fuel mixture and ignition timing. These errors can cause the on-board diagnostics systems to set faults, but they can also cause exceedingly high catalyst temperatures and a loss of power. In addition, when power is increased, exhaust gas temperature will increase as well and this must be countered with a slightly richer air/fuel mixture. The DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner uniquely has the capability to adjust target Lambda, correct short term trim as well as ignition timing errors induced by raising boost pressure. This enables Dinan calibration engineers to optimize air/fuel mixture and ignition timing at elevated boost pressure throughout the entire gamut of engine RPM and engine load. Additionally, the ability to correct short term trim corrections (the difference between target and scheduled fuel mixture) remain within OEM specifications. This minimizes knock sensor activity, which in turn means smooth engine performance, catalyst protection and power increase, while this is also required to make the car emissions legal. Dinan engineers have worked for two years on the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner in efforts to provide BMW enthusiasts with Performance without Sacrifice.

State-of-the-Art Hardware

The DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner is engineered using the best possible components and advanced hardware. The most obvious and visible component is the elaborate wiring harness. Using OE connectors and an expandable braided wiring sleeves ensures that all visible components appear as if they come straight from the factory. More importantly however it guarantees long lasting and dependable performance due to the use of high heat, moisture and abrasion resistant materials and design. The other hardware element involved is the Dinan electronic control unit (ECU) itself. While its outward appearance may seem tame, the processing power and sophistication held within its internal circuitry is anything but. Capable of delivering signals to various systems at an astonishing 4000 times per second the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner yields the power to control all current signals delivered to the ECU as well as those developed in the future without a hiccup in performance or reliability. This immense processing power equates to a high degree of engine control resulting in a much lower likelihood of setting a fault. In addition smoother running conditions and superior drivability are achieved, all of which are Dinan hallmarks.

Unmatched Warranty

Dinan's comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1997, provides superior warranty coverage to that which you would find elsewhere. If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty, Dinan® products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty. The manufacturer's new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan® products were originally installed is sold. BMW automobiles can now be performance-tuned without the associated concern of negatively affecting the new car warranty coverage.

Designed to be Emissions Legal

The DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner was designed and built to be the only tuning box on the market that is emissions legal in all 50 states. At the moment this product is emissions legal in most states – the product is in compliance with US Federal EPA Memorandum 1A, or this product has not been found, nor is believed to be, unlawful for use under the provisions of the Clean Air Act. Currently this product is not legal for sale or use in California, and states that have adopted California emissions standards, on any pollution controlled motor vehicles. We are however in the E.O. process with the ARB and are confident that the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner will be emissions legal in all states in the near future.

Drivability

There is more to a tune than just cranking up the boost. Power needs to come on smoothly and in a predictable way to make the car as fun to drive at wide open throttle as cruising around town. It is your BMW, but reborn with new found acceleration and speed.

Installation

Plug-and-Play installation in two hours or less at any of the 180+ Dinan® Dealers. While firmware is loaded directly on the ECU the model specific software will need to be downloaded into the ECU by an authorized Dinan dealer after installation. Log on to www.dinancars.com to find your nearest dealer or contact Dinan to make an appointment.

Easy To Use

Dinan's ECU is Bluetooth® Smart meaning that you can change maps simply via a Bluetooth connection. Just install and you are done!

Designed for the Future

The DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner was engineered with future expansion of functionality in mind. Boasting the most powerful processing power on the market the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner can handle more functions and processes than any of its contemporaries. To that end the Dinan performance tuner is capable of interfacing with the CAN and FlexRay communication systems which allow for controlling powertrain functions, among others. This means that when new functions are developed there will be no need for a new box, just a short software update at your local Dinan dealer.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Dinan guarantees you will be impressed by the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner and the performance it provides that we offer a 3-Day return policy. If you aren't satisfied with what the Dinan solution brings to the table within 3 days of install you can go back to your dealer for a full refund (installation labor costs still apply).

Product Specifications

Labor Hours/Installation Hours

Emission Status
Emissions Legal in most states -- This product in compliance with U.S. Federal EPA Memorandum 1A, or this product has not been found, nor is believed to be, unlawful for use under the provisions of the Clean Air Act. Currently: This product is not legal for sale or use in California, and states that have adopted California emissions standards, on any pollution controlled motor vehicles.

Peak Horsepower

Peak Torque

Factory Stock HP Rating

Factory Stock Torque Rating

Included Notes
DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner, Dinan® wiring harness, Dinan Stage 1 software

With the launch of Stage One, our next step is Stage Two that includes our Cold Air Intake and Free Flow Exhaust. Both parts are prototype form, but we figured we'd share what we've gathered so far by adding more airflow.

Stage One

Stage Two (Beta)

Here's a shot of our Sakhir Orange M4. We can't wait to get more product out for this thing!

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 09-16-2014 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

That's a nice power bump.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

How much??
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
6MMMT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

$2,500
http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1178/
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Stage 2 Beta Numbers

With the launch of Stage One, our next step is Stage Two that includes our Cold Air Intake and Free Flow Exhaust. Both parts are prototype form, but we figured we'd share what we've gathered so far by adding more airflow.

Stage One

Name:  dinan-f80m3-m4-1.jpg
Views: 28173
Size:  117.8 KB

Stage Two (Beta)

Name:  dinan-f80m3-m4-2.jpg
Views: 28085
Size:  120.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Can you please provide and explanation for the dyno chart on the Pictures/Video section of the product page? Perhaps I'm missing something as I only took a brief glance at the chart, but how can peak power be 516hp and there only be a peak gain over stock of 42hp? Wouldn't the peak gain be 91hp?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Really interest to see how the exhaust comes out! The power gains don't seem substantial if you are claiming the car makes 484hp stock... Maybe I am confused.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Dieselmd
Private
Rep
Drives: MW SO M4 DCT. EB M235i

Just to clarify, according to your stats, the STOCK-CAR in question made 484HP?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

Stage One

Stage Two (Beta)

Why do the dyno charts stop at 6500rpm when redline is 7600rpm ?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

That is one weird tq curve. A bump down then it comes back up.
      09-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As with everybody else, what is the deal with the car making 484 horsepower STOCK?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

If I intend to purchase the intake and exhaust, would I be better served waiting for the Stage 2 offering or is the software going to be the same? Also, are there plans for a downpipe solution? I'm super excited about this. I've had my car for exactly one week and need an exhaust badly.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmd View Post
Just to clarify, according to your stats, the STOCK-CAR in question made 484HP?
Correct. Max crank HP for stock was 484 @ 6500 RPM. Max crank HP with DINANTRONICS was 516 @ 6000 RPM.

The biggest single gain was at 6000 RPM which was 42 HP.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Correct. Max crank HP for stock was 484 @ 6500 RPM. Max crank HP with DINANTRONICS was 516 @ 6000 RPM.

The biggest single gain was at 6000 RPM which was 42 HP.
Was that stock number with the intake/exhaust, like the stage 1 number?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

How did you come up with 484hp?

An engine dyno?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Yes, weirdest looking S55 dyno charts I've seen so far.

Dinan is a great company and makes good products. They're going to be more expensive because of their warranty. I'm sure they have a good explanation for the charts.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
How did you come up with 484hp?

An engine dyno?
Could be. Maybe a MAHA dyno that calculates crank hp.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Strange torque curve... Looks like it has a huge turbo lag before 3000Rpm.
Nice to see the warranty, but I think it is not international?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
If I intend to purchase the intake and exhaust, would I be better served waiting for the Stage 2 offering or is the software going to be the same? Also, are there plans for a downpipe solution? I'm super excited about this. I've had my car for exactly one week and need an exhaust badly.
You can always upgrade the software as the stages are released for the difference in cost of the software (in this case the bump from stage 1 to 2 would be $250).

Everyone here at Dinan agrees on your exhaust need/desire. Unfortunately the exhaust solution is still a ways out to be honest. The M3/M4 exhaust is extremely complicated in comparison to BMW exhaust systems of the past so there are quite a few variables to work out in order to accurately meet the standards and performance Dinan wishes to employ. At this point there is no plans for a down pipe solution as we wish to be emissions legal but if demand presents itself than a RACING downpipe may not be out of the question in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah3
$2,500
http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1178/" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://dinancars.com...&mid=1178/</a>
Wow already . Waited over 2 years for a good tuner for an F30!

Not flipping bad for a 91 HP (crank hp I assume) bump! Jesus $2500 is a bargain keeping the warranty and having zero drivability issues.

I still see the M tax applies since it's $500 more then a x35i platform .
      09-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Same as the others, how does it do 484 stock, and on a comparative basis another 30 or 40 hp at that point isn't going to change things much.
      09-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Wow already . Waited over 2 years for a good tuner for an F30!

Not flipping bad for a 91 HP (crank hp I assume) bump! Jesus $2500 is a bargain keeping the warranty and having zero drivability issues.

I still see the M tax applies since it's $500 more then a x35i platform .
Not quite sure it's a 91hp bump. The numbers you're looking at are comparing apples to kumquats.
Appreciate 0