proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Herolad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

DIY Request: Front Painted Side Marker W/ Camera

I've read a few threads here stating how much more of a pain it was to install the side markers with the side cameras in the way. I spent a good hour yesterday and could not get it out as describe by IND, and could not get a pry bar in any decent angle to get any leverage on the existing piece. I'm really hoping to avoid jacking up the car and removing the tire as I don't have the equipment for that. I can reach into the wheel well and get a grab of the marker but it doesn't budge. I've ready that you can attempt to use a hair driver to help, but unsure how to use it without damage the paint or the camera. Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I did this mod this morning and ended up taking the wheels and wheel well liner off. The camera definitely makes it tough to work in this area w/o risking damage. The extra 5 minutes to pull the parts was worth it if you have a jack and a 8mm socket or hex driver to remove the liner.

I admit I did push from the outside to get the reflector to start to release.
      09-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I have the cameras and just pushed the reflector hard. Didn't disconnect anything. That plus a bit of pull from the inside did the trick. The OEM reflector is probably not in the best of shape but I can buy new ones if needed.

Didn't use the pry bar. Just shove until it cracks (I know, best advice ever)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
joe black
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Maybe you should search this sub-forum for "Front reflector replacement with M4 with front cameras" ???
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Herolad
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacole View Post
Maybe you should search this sub-forum for "Front reflector replacement with M4 with front cameras" ???
I saw your post, but read from others that they where able to get it out without having to jack and remove the wheel. So just wanted to see if anyone had any tips without having to jack up the car and remove the wheel, and wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Sivart321
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herolad View Post
I saw your post, but read from others that they where able to get it out without having to jack and remove the wheel. So just wanted to see if anyone had any tips without having to jack up the car and remove the wheel, and wheel well.
I got mine off with the car on the ground and wheels still mounted. I just had to stick my hand in between the wheel liner and fender to support the bumper while I pushed in on the reflector. It wasn't easy and I scratched my hand up, but it only took a few minutes. For some reason the passenger side was easier than the drivers side. No issues with the passenger side. It popped right out easily. The drivers side required a little more force, but still came out without issue. Minimal deflection on the bumper while pushing it through and no damage to the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
M4NACE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I'm with Sivart321 on this. I had the same issue with my car. I didn't remove the wheel. I removed the 3 bolts on the fender liner, and proceeded to the following:

1. use your HAND to feel where the reflector edges are INSIDE the bumper. so you will know where you are going to place the prying tool.

2. insert the prying tool at an angle, slowly but firmly press the sharp end of the tool onto the TOP edge of the reflector, from inside the bumper. you will need to spend some time on this, wiggle, push, jam the prying tool into the reflect corner.

3. push the prying tool with your one hand DOWNWARDS, and PUSH the reflector from the outside with your other hand INWARDS. WORK SLOWLY. I took my time, and i spent about 20 mins per side. slowly wiggling the tool, pushing it downward, while using my thumb pushing the reflector INWARDS towards inside the bumper to try and remove it.

4. Afterwards make sure you clean up the adhesives and roll it with our thumb. use an adhesive remover or nail polish or whatever to remove the residuals. then insert the new bumper reflector.

it was a pain to remove for sure. i ended up cutting up my hand slightly because i didn't wear a glove.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Dasm3nd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4NACE
I'm with Sivart321 on this. I had the same issue with my car. I didn't remove the wheel. I removed the 3 bolts on the fender liner, and proceeded to the following:

1. use your HAND to feel where the reflector edges are INSIDE the bumper. so you will know where you are going to place the prying tool.

2. insert the prying tool at an angle, slowly but firmly press the sharp end of the tool onto the TOP edge of the reflector, from inside the bumper. you will need to spend some time on this, wiggle, push, jam the prying tool into the reflect corner.

3. push the prying tool with your one hand DOWNWARDS, and PUSH the reflector from the outside with your other hand INWARDS. WORK SLOWLY. I took my time, and i spent about 20 mins per side. slowly wiggling the tool, pushing it downward, while using my thumb pushing the reflector INWARDS towards inside the bumper to try and remove it.

4. Afterwards make sure you clean up the adhesives and roll it with our thumb. use an adhesive remover or nail polish or whatever to remove the residuals. then insert the new bumper reflector.

it was a pain to remove for sure. i ended up cutting up my hand slightly because i didn't wear a glove.
That's how I did it on F80 with cameras. I cut up both hands pretty good. All worth it when I didn't have to look at ugly yellow anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

I did this yesterday as well and I also have side cameras. It was stuck on really tight. What helped me was using a hair blow dryer to heat up around the reflector from the outside. I bet this can be done easier in hotter places. I did it in the morning and it was around 65 degrees.

One suggestion I have is that once the original reflector is out, when you are ready to stick the new one in, you can put the painter reflector in through the empty hole instead of through the wheel well to minimize the chance the glue touching anything.
      09-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Herolad
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for the all the helpful tips. I was able to use a combo of hair dryer and angling the pry bar from the top of the reflector. I went at the edge closes to the front of the car and slowly work the pry bar down as I pushed against the reflector. It took awhile but 20 to 30 minutes later I had both sides out and the new painted side markers in. Thanks again everyone.

I tried to take a few picks so others who might be struggling could get some help. But they came out horribly as I was trying to hold the pry bar while taking a picture at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
stranger_
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Sport Line Coupe

Angry Can't remove front side reflectors

Hello folks,
Today I tried to remove the ugly yellow front reflectors and replace them with colored ones.
I spent almost two hours trying to remove the driver’s side reflector but to no avail. That adhesive is super strong! I pushed with my thumbs for a while (they are now purple). I grabbed the edged of the reflectors from the inner side of the bumper and tried the pry tool but impossible to get a good angle.
Keep in mind that I have the side view cameras and limited space, I almost pull one of the cables accidentally and very afraid of messing up the cameras.
I have seen YouTube videos, and forums with instructions on how to do this but could not do it.
I have not tried the hair dryer since I live in a condo and there are no power outlets in the garage. I don’t’ think that blowing hot hair into the cameras would be a good idea. How did you avoided messing up your cameras with the hair blower?
My only option is to go to a self-serve garage ($30 the hour) and try the hair blower approach and see if makes any difference?
What do you think? Any suggestions, encouragement, tips will be valuable. I am incredible frustrated by this, I knew this would mess up my hands and arms, but it happened without any results 
Thanks for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
I have the cameras and have replaced the side reflectors. I didn't remove the tires or use heat, but did remove the inner liners. Basically followed the ind video. Wasn't too bad, but I had to pry the reflector at the top from the inside, and push on it from the outside at the same time. Popped right out. One thing I've noticed is that the pry bar that comes with the install kit, if you get it, is not very good. I highly recommend getting a set of tire levers from you local bike store (if you don't already have a set). This has made everything much easier with the various cosmetic mods, inside and out.
      03-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
Rain49king
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I did mine also have camera's. I had a hard time with the first one till I tried pushing at the bottom of the reflector instead of the top or the middle. I don't know if this was a coincidence or specific to my car but I swear it was night and day after 15 mins of pushing everywhere else with no luck it shot right out. Did the same thing on other side after opening the liner and was done start to finish in 5 mins. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
stranger_
Rep

Thanks MNobb and Rain49king for your replies.

Follow up questions:

1) I see that you got them out with pure brute force pushing but did you use hair blower or heat gun?

2) Were you just pushing with your thumbs? I wonder if you are using some tool to push other than your hands (my hands are still in pain from yesterday's effort)

I was able to get the pry tool between the reflector and the bumper but not a good angle to get a good grip for my hand to push down due to the cables and camera system.

Trying to decide if I spent a few hours with the pushing or go to self-serve garage to apply heat and see if that helps.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Rain49king
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I used my thumbs. I was nervous about using a heat gun since the adhesive is on the inside of the fairly thick plastic bumper cover. There was no room to heat it up from the inside so I didn't wanna risk a blemish to the paint or bumper. Try pressing very hard at the very bottom of that reflector once the adhesive separates a lil it gets easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:38 PM   #16
stranger_
Rep

Ok RAin49, I will try to press again right after my thumbs recover.

I am also afraid of messing up the cameras with the heat, anybody here used heat? How did you protect the cameras? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #17
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
No heat gun here either. just pushing with my thumb on the outside while prying on the inside. I don't think they're all equal as far as how well they are taped on. on my car one side gave way easily, the other took quite a bit of pressure on both sides and gave way with a rather unsettling POP.
      03-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #18
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
I have the cameras and did this myself. I did use a hair dryer, not a heat gun, warming it up helps, especially if you're doing this in the cold.

The key is to start at the bottom corner of it where you'll get the most leverage. Slow steady pressure with your thumb will get it started, and once it starts to separate it's much easier.

The most time consuming part is getting all the old adhesive off. I found it came off best if I just rubbed it with my finger to make it ball up.
      03-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #19
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Mine was a bitch to remove as i have cameras as well... Heat gun got the job done in no time tho