M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

09-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
bufuro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: NA

How do I tell if my CQuartz are still effective?

Hello,

I have CQuartz applied to my car few months ago.

My car had gone thru several car washes. And I am little concerned that the cleaners they used might have removed my CQuartz coating.. (I told them and made sure they don't Wax my car.. since I was told not to..)

Is there anyway to test the CQuartz?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Someone more knowledgeable can chime in, but I believe the durability (while active - around 18 months), should be similar to OptiCoat. OptiCoat can only be removed by physical force (e.g. orbital polisher), not chemical (speaking of typical automotive agents).
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Test by pouring water over the surface of your car. See how well the water beads off. With a fresh coat of CQuartz or Opticoat the water should pretty much completely bead off. No water should stick to the surface of the paint. If it does reapply another coat. I say 18 months is the maximum due to the nature of hands washes and weather that erode the coat over time.

Or you could just do like me and forget the Cquartz/Opti-Coat all together and just wrap your entire car. The vinyl protects much better than anything else.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

The clean surface should sheet or bead water -pressure washer tips tend to bead and flowing streams of water sheet.

Did you apply it yourself or did a professional? Do you know the exact decontamination processes used prior to the application? It is very unlikely that a chemical sprayed on the surface will remove the coating. It would need to be a very strong alkaline and some serious mechanical abrasion.

What is more likely is that the application process did not have a thorough decontamination and polish/compound oils were left on before the application. I'm not drawing a line in the sand or anything. Just speaking about what probably happened.

There are cases of coatings failing but it's not common.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Different view: -

The beading & sheeting properties of ceramic/nano coatings can diminish with time, however, the coating may still be present, so this alone is not a good measure of the coating still being present.

There are also a number of other variables that come into play, for example, extent to which contaminants have bonded to the sealant, which depends on how you use and maintain the car. This will also affect beading and sheeting as the surface will no longer be smooth, although the coating is still present a protecting the underlying paintwork. Some contaminants will penetrate some protective coatings if left long enough, so obviously best not rely on sealant alone.

Also consider that very clean bare paintwork, e.g. freshly clayed, will bead a sheet water well. Repetitive use of very strong cleaners such as traffic film remover (TRF) will remove many bonded contaminants and may strip sealants (dependant on strength of bond with paintwork). This could still leave a surface that beads & sheets water.

In the UK car dealerships tend to outsource their valeting (albeit on-site) and negotiate a very low price which in turn forces the use of cost effective solutions such as the use of descaling acid to clean wheels.

Best way to maintain any sealant is to wash with a PH neutral shampoo with a soft wash mitt (merino/lambs wool, etc.) and top up with QD-type product - how often is subjective. I believe the CarPro version for CQuartz is 'Reload Silica Spray'.

If you can find out what chemicals your car washers use, that would help determine if these washes are likely to affect your CQuartz.

Also you can apply a wax above a sealant and many do. It just provides an additional sacrificial layer and can protect the sealant itself. One of the reasons not to is that it overlays the self-cleaning properties of many modern sealants with the natural properties of the wax itself. Horses for courses.
Appreciate 0