F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 335i M-Sport vs. Cadillac CTS V-Sport
GetBMWParts

09-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

BMW 335i M-Sport vs. Cadillac CTS V-Sport

I realize I'm comparing an Apple with an Orange, but regardless, as a current 2006 E90 330i sport owner, these are the two cars I'm considering. I posted an near identical article on a companion V-Sport forum the other day, so I fully expect most comments to be biased a bit. However, I would still welcome your thoughts as I'm on the fence. So here goes:

I took time a few days ago to drive a 2014 CTS V-Sport back-back with a 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport. Here are my quick take-aways (short story though is that I'm still confused)...

CTS V-Sport
Okay, let's go ahead and just get this out of the way...and I'm going to affirm what just about every journalist/reviewer has espoused: the car is an absolute RIOT to drive! TONS of power and just spot on dynamics. I was very impressed with the whole driving experience. It actually managed to exceed my expectations. I also find the styling to be just a perfect balance between an aggressive, modern sports sedan and an unsuspecting sleeper car. The interior is well done...great materials, but personally I find the overall design a bit traditional American - to be expected for sure - but not necessarily my favorite. And the back seat isn't super generous...in fact, the smaller BMW had a LOT more rear headroom.

So, it's a riot to drive, the styling is well penned (I think the vertical lamp detail from the front is just super well done and aggressive...definitely Darth Vader's cruiser!), and it is American. My concern is whether or not it will have staying power with me, as well as long-term reliability. I'm not trying to pre-judge it, but from my current experience with my 9.5 year old 330i, the BMW has aged so very well. Not a single rattle, very reliable, and its conservative, yet teutonic styling still looks great. In short, the BMW has gotten better with age believe it or not. Can I expect that with the CTS V-Sport?

BMW 335i M-Sport
Okay, let's get THIS out of the way...this is a very tight, buttoned down sedan as you'd expect, but clearly doesn't have the sharp, communicative chassis that has been the BMW hallmark, and honestly, it wasn't as addictive of a driving experience as the CTS V-Sport. And of course, in spite of its well regarded twin-scroll turbo-charged inline 6 cylinder, it was no match in the power department to the CTS. However, its 8 speed transmission is clearly superior to the CTS; smoother shifts in auto and incredibly quick/immediate gear changes in auto or manual. Top notch. The ride was excellent, and like most German products, it just feels solid. I prefer the interior of the 3-series...maybe it's just me, but I like the more technical, teutonic German aesthetic here...AND the center stack is (properly) slightly angled toward the driver, unlike the CTS which I find a bit odd not angled at all. Also, the iDrive system would appear to be superior to CUE in both speed, functionality and ease-of-use.

So, I like it but I'll admit not as much as I feel like I should. I tend to think that academically it would be the safer choice for me given my current, excellent 3-series experience. I fully expect it to age better than the CTS, but I certainly could be mistaken. It's also less expensive by $5,000 (comparing two specific used models I'm considering).

Conclusion
Do I go with the straight A, straight laced girl with a great family heritage and play it safe, or throw caution to the wind and go with the brash, loud, center of attention party girl but risk getting burned later?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I think you should get the one that drives the best for you. At 35 there is simply no room in my life for a Cadillac CTS. If I were 65 I would probably get the CTS since it's a more mature car. That coupled with the great driving experience would probably swing me that way if that were my age but I am only half way there

The CTS V Sport was tested at VIR were it beat the M235i so no doubt the CTS Vsport handles better than both the 335i and the M235i

However I believe Motortend tested both the CTS Vsport and 335i with the PPK and both came in at about 4.4 to 60 and 13s in the 1/4. The extra hp for the Vsport did show up with a 2-4mph higher trap speed IIRC.

I think the choice between these two is more a choice of which one is at the right level of maturity for you. There is a certain demographic that would never consider the CTS or 5 series for that matter. There will come a time when the 5 series or CTS starts to make sense, I think you are there and you are now just battling with which one you are identify more with

All the best with the decision

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
With the $5k you save on the 335, you can make a few choice mods (LSD, Dinan springs/Shockware, sway bars, light weight wheels, engine software, etc.) and take it beyond the CTS in driving dynamics. Then you get the best of both.
      09-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Wouldn't the ATS-V sport be more comparable? The CTS is more comparable to a 5 series. I know the ATS V Sport isn't out till the spring..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Think out of the box is more important in a compare. You can dump money into anything & unless you are brain dead improve it to suit what you want from it.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Ditto on the ATS question - wouldn't that be the better comparison? Although price-wise I suspect the CTS is closer, but it's a pretty big car. I also thought the "V-Sport" was caddy's version of an M car, so I'd hope it was more fun to drive than a regular 335i.

Caddy's making some pretty solid driver's cars these days by all accounts. Unfortunately for me, the exterior styling is a huge turnoff.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Could you link your thread from the Caddy forum? I'm curious to see what they have to say over there.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil
Could you link your thread from the Caddy forum? I'm curious to see what they have to say over there.
Absolutely, but note that the post I made here (above) about comparing the test drives is further down in the post (2nd page):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nsidering.html

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil
Ditto on the ATS question - wouldn't that be the better comparison? Although price-wise I suspect the CTS is closer, but it's a pretty big car. I also thought the "V-Sport" was caddy's version of an M car, so I'd hope it was more fun to drive than a regular 335i.

Caddy's making some pretty solid driver's cars these days by all accounts. Unfortunately for me, the exterior styling is a huge turnoff.
I absolutely agree, and that's why I said I'm comparing an apple to an orange. The ATS is the natural comparison but for me personally the back seat is inexcusably small (I'm 6'-6") and the current power train offered in the ATS (at least until the V or V-Sport are released) is not competitive with the 335i. I also can't stand the gauge cluster in the ATS and for some reason they don't offer the digital TFT option.

Thanks for the fair and objective comments so far.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
F30Drive
F30Drive
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sportline

Cadillac styling= Dogs Breakfast!
      09-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Conclusion
Do I go with the straight A, straight laced girl with a great family heritage and play it safe, or throw caution to the wind and go with the brash, loud, center of attention party girl but risk getting burned later?
How does this usually turn out in real life? I think the answer to that question along with your other stated feelings about the different characters of the cars answers your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post

The "V" is Caddy's ///M model. "V Sport" = M Sport.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!