R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

What Do You See of Launch Control Does Not Activate?

Hello everyone,

Last night after my 1200 mile service I tried to check if Launch Control was active (given some people's comments that it was not activated by their dealers after the 1200 mile service). I only had a chance to try activating it once, but here are the circumstances:

1) I drove the car for a good 10-12 miles/over 15-20 minutes before trying to activate it;

2) the outside air temperature was about 57 degrees farenheit, pavement dry;

3) DSC completely off;

4) Drivelogic set to S3;

5) left foot on brake;

6) right foot full depression of throttle;

7) released brake while throttle pedal fully depressed; and....

the engine never revved up to 3500 rpms, and the flag never came on. Instead, the engine speed stayed around idle and even dropped slightly when I hit the gas.

I repeated steps 5-7 again right afterwards - same result.

My dealer confirmed that the car computer was reset through ISTA, so either: 1) the car's computer did not think the conditions were "right" for Launch Control to be activated; and/or 2) something else is up with the car that it preventing Launch Control (car otherwise runs great).

Any thoughts, observations??? Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
330cibimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 ZCP

I have the same problem. Been in contact w my SA and they can't seem to figure it out either
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Actually looks like it was conditions - I did steps 1-7 today after driving about 20 miles in stop and go - got the checkered flag!!

However - I did not actually do it - just wanted to confirm that the software would allow launch control - and I was on a residential street so no way was I going to go thru with it under those circumstances! But at least I know it will work now!
Appreciate 0