F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driving in Shift/Sport mode question
Studio RSR

09-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Driving in Shift/Sport mode question

Forgive me if the answer is obvious to someone familiar with the workings of the transmission and drive option, as I'm not.

2014 428Ix

Eco mode - ok for bumper to bumper, stop & go traffic
Comfort - my usual driving choice
Sport - to me it is too aggressive, it feels head jarring

I moved the shift lever to the left to merge onto a highway and forgot to move it back to the right. I drive for about 3 miles on the highway and another 2 miles on the streets. I very much liked the feeling of power without being overly aggressive. So my actual question is if I drive in sport mode by moving the gear shift to the left all the time is this putting any undo strain on the transmission and will I burn more gas?

PS: it appears that when in this mode the S1 through S8 on the dash shifts according to the speed i'm traveling.

Thanks for any insight
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
martyl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer
Forgive me if the answer is obvious to someone familiar with the workings of the transmission and drive option, as I'm not.

2014 428Ix

Eco mode - ok for bumper to bumper, stop & go traffic
Comfort - my usual driving choice
Sport - to me it is too aggressive, it feels head jarring

I moved the shift lever to the left to merge onto a highway and forgot to move it back to the right. I drive for about 3 miles on the highway and another 2 miles on the streets. I very much liked the feeling of power without being overly aggressive. So my actual question is if I drive in sport mode by moving the gear shift to the left all the time is this putting any undo strain on the transmission and will I burn more gas?

PS: it appears that when in this mode the S1 through S8 on the dash shifts according to the speed i'm traveling.

Thanks for any insight
You'll use more gas because you're shifting at higher rpms. You're not harming anything. However, by not using the sport button you're not getting the stiffer steering which many of us prefer. When you move the shifter to the left, you can start
to shift manually if you like.