E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V2.02 Limp-less map: Thoughts & Questions

12-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
Checkman
Rep
Drives: 335i + Procede V2

Garage List
V2.02 Limp-less map: Thoughts & Questions

The latest V2.02 map is the perfect combination of power and smoothness.
The car accelarates smooth but powerfull at the same time. I cant think a better way for these two values to be combined.
Congrats to Vishnu guys ...amazing job

BUT...I'd like to share with all of you some conserns that came up after two days driving and datalogging of this new map and I would really appreciate your help.

Dataloging:

i) Despite the satisfaction while driving (using default 90%) , my latest datalogs had really caused me some conserns. The turbos appears to spike randomly while driving. I'm reaching the levels of 15,0 to 15,4 psi. This is mainly happens when i release the gas pedal (its odvious that the spikes happens when the rpms are decreasing).
Could this be happening due to the fact I'm comming from a V2.02 map that was set to 97% ??

ii) While the car is idling the Pde reader reads -0,4/-0,3 psi and when i swich the engine of , is set to 0,4 psi. Is that right??

Driving/Cruisin

iii) After the V2 installation my cruise control doesnt work properly. Do the delimiter connections mess up with cruise control?

iv) Whenever I release the gas pedal (even while driving gently on the streets), the car makes two slight kicks to the front. I never felt that with 1,47. Is that has to do with boost spikes as well?? I noticed from the datalogs that the spike occurs some m-secs after the rpms starts dropping (not immediately).

I wish that Shiv could enlighten me on this.
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Amen brotha.....im about to install this soon

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Or is this really just Shiv pulling a classic "terry" move by making a fake account just to boost his own product haha? jk jk

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
daves335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Well, for what its worth...

When I had my chipped Audi S4, at idle the car would normally show less that 0 PSI boost on my boost gauge, and slightly over when turned off. Its normal, and I used to remember the reason why, but getting old sucks, and I had to dump those memories in lieu of kids birthdays.

also, there's almost always a slight spike as you get off the gas, as the engine adjusts for the new load, and releases any extra boost that you may have built up (at least in the Audi anyway).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

I do not see something being not normal on the datalog. When you close the throttle ( as it happens during shifting ) a little boost spike is built up in the boost system. This is completely normal, thus the boost is measured before the throttle valve.

I had the same cruise control issue when I changed from v1.47 to v2.0.0. After removing the thick black battery wire for 1 hour, which forces the ECU to learn from scratch, cruise control has been perfect again. It seems you have an auto, as I have, and run the latest 2.0.2 12-19 map. The second little boost spike during shifting will disappear once Shiv will release dedicated maps for 6AT's and 6MT's again, as it has been before the current map.

My 2 cents and V2 experience so far.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Checkman
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
I do not see something being not normal on the datalog. When you close the throttle ( as it happens during shifting ) a little boost spike is built up in the boost system. This is completely normal, thus the boost is measured before the throttle valve.

I had the same cruise control issue when I changed from v1.47 to v2.0.0. After removing the thick black battery wire for 1 hour, which forces the ECU to learn from scratch, cruise control has been perfect again. It seems you have an auto, as I have, and run the latest 2.0.2 12-19 map. The second little boost spike during shifting will disappear once Shiv will release dedicated maps for 6AT's and 6MT's again, as it has been before the current map.

- Eugen
Thanks for your kind reply. So, I shouldn't worry about these boost spikes as long as they do not occur during full throtle?

Eugen-I'm driving a 6MT and I have not reseted the ECU when jumping from the previous version of V2 to the new one.

I'm also VERY conserned about the "slight kick" when releasing the gas pedal. Does anyone feel that as well? I was out driving right before and the feeling of this "kick" just getting on my nerves. IT SPOILS THE BMW DRIVING FEELING
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Thanks for your kind reply. So, I shouldn't worry about these boost spikes as long as they do not occur during full throtle?

Eugen-I'm driving a 6MT and I have not reseted the ECU when jumping from the previous version of V2 to the new one.

I'm also VERY conserned about the "slight kick" when releasing the gas pedal. Does anyone feel that as well? I was out driving right before and the feeling of this "kick" just getting on my nerves. IT SPOILS THE BMW DRIVING FEELING
registered
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Moggie
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

From my experience I think I can answer some of your questions:
i) There are two spikes in your datalog. The largest one occurs on sudden throttle closure and is not seen at the intake manifold and thus is harmless and normal. The other slight spike is occuring on sudden throttle opening. It appears at though the system is overshooting the desired boost level under certain conditions in 1st/2nd gear. This happens to me -- it was much worse in with the 2.0.1 map but is now very minor in the 2.0.2 map (since I understand shiv reduced the ramp rate). In any case it looks fine.
ii) The idle PSI reading is dependent on altitude. At sea level mine reads 0.4psi. Nothing to worry about.
iii) Can't help here, I didn't install this.
iv) I don't think this is related to the throttle closure spike (not seen by engine). In which gears are you feeling this?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Checkman - when you installed the new map, did you disconnect the negative battery terminal for an hour before or after the upload? I know there's no scientific proof that this makes a difference, but I do it every time I upload a new map and I haven't had a single issue with V2 thus far (knock on wood...)

My boost curve looks like yours and except for the close-throttle peaks of 15psi, I am now boosting around 12-13psi.

The thing that's different between V2.0.1 and 2.0.2 12/19 map, are the boost curve lines were smoother from data point to data point. I've only driven the car about 30 miles since installing it yesterday, so perhaps they'll smooth out. Here's what I mean:

One of my most recent 1/4mi runs:

Here is 2nd-4th gear pull from yesterday:

The first boost graph (from a dragstrip pass a couple weeks ago) has a line which is pretty smooth. The second (from inital v2.0.2 map testing yesterday) is somewhat sharp and jagged. It looks more like the OP's line. Drivability is awesome. I know the boost is down but it just pulls hard and smooth all the way to redline. Nothing unusual at all about the way the engine feels or sounds.

Anyone know why the jagged boost line now? I'll do some more driving today and log the curve to see if it smooths out...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Checkman
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
registered
?? Sorry English is not my mother-language ?? What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
iv) I don't think this is related to the throttle closure spike (not seen by engine). In which gears are you feeling this?
I guess that this applies to all gears but due to the fact 1-2-3rd are more sensitive to the throttle pedal , the "kick-feeling" is more intense there...especialy on the low rpm.

I was trying to "play" with the pedal , releasing it even softer ,but it looks like its doesnt help much. I also use the clutch to help it but this is not the right way to do it.

Dont think thats something TOO intense but its definately annoying when you're stuck on trafic and drive rather slow.

Any input would be much appreciated. Anyone else noticed this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
Checkman - when you installed the new map, did you disconnect the negative battery terminal for an hour before or after the upload? I know there's no scientific proof that this makes a difference, but I do it every time I upload a new map and I haven't had a single issue with V2 thus far (knock on wood...)

My boost curve looks like yours and except for the close-throttle peaks of 15psi, I am now boosting around 12-13psi.
No i didnt disconnect it , but to be honnest , I dont think this would make any change. I reseted the ECU indeed but did not disconnect the battery for 60 minutes.

It looks like we cant avoid spikes..can we?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
jfewins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

maybe shiv can post a stock map so that we can see if boost spikes are present in "stock" mode. Maybe if there are, we can put an end to all the needless concern
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Checkman
Rep

Garage List
No..there are no spikes on stock one. We have already made tests using boost gauge on stock car. Its just refuses to go above 0,4 bar (6psi i think).

We ve seen no spikes so far on stock car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
?? Sorry English is not my mother-language ?? What do you mean?
He means "subscribed", as in he used the thread tools feature to subscribe to the thread so that he's notified when a new post is made.

Quote:
No i didnt disconnect it , but to be honnest , I dont think this would make any change. I reseted the ECU indeed but did not disconnect the battery for 60 minutes.
How exactly did you reset the ECU without disconnecting the negative battery terminal? The "Reset ECU" command in the PROcede software resets the PROcede, not the car's ECU.

Quote:
It looks like we cant avoid spikes..can we?
Boost spikes occurring at a gear change are caused by the throttle closure and are not seen by the engine. This has been gone over several times in the last few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post

- Eugen
can you also drive it for like 50 miles. is that the same thing when you remove the negative cable from the battery?
      12-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #15
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfewins View Post
maybe shiv can post a stock map so that we can see if boost spikes are present in "stock" mode. Maybe if there are, we can put an end to all the needless concern
There was a thread proving that the stock motor spikes (albeit at a much lower psi) several days ago. Just do a
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Dataloging:

i) Despite the satisfaction while driving (using default 90%) , my latest datalogs had really caused me some conserns. The turbos appears to spike randomly while driving. I'm reaching the levels of 15,0 to 15,4 psi. This is mainly happens when i release the gas pedal (its odvious that the spikes happens when the rpms are decreasing).
Could this be happening due to the fact I'm comming from a V2.02 map that was set to 97% ??
Seeing spikes when you lift off the gas is normal. They are isolated to the intercooler tube and the engine does not see this spike in pressure. That is what the bypass valves are in charge of relieving. This is explained in the documentation.

Quote:
ii) While the car is idling the Pde reader reads -0,4/-0,3 psi and when i swich the engine of , is set to 0,4 psi. Is that right??
You're screwed. Just kidding This is normal. The 0.4psi just represents the baro reading at your particular altitude. It will change as a function of atmospheric pressure.

Quote:
Driving/Cruisin

iii) After the V2 installation my cruise control doesnt work properly. Do the delimiter connections mess up with cruise control?
Reset your ECU as per the instructions. Also note that the cruise lever has a "step" in it. If you use it to accelerate, pressing it slightly will make the car accelerate under no or little boost pressure. If you press it harder (beyond the "step"), the car will accelerate under moderate boost. If you bounce back and forth between this subtle "step", boost will bounce up and down. This bouncing isn't that obvious when the car is stock because:

1) You didn't have a logging software to see it.
2) Stock boost was much lower.

Quote:
iv) Whenever I release the gas pedal (even while driving gently on the streets), the car makes two slight kicks to the front. I never felt that with 1,47. Is that has to do with boost spikes as well?? I noticed from the datalogs that the spike occurs some m-secs after the rpms starts dropping (not immediately).
You're engine does not see those boost spikes. So it has no influence over how your car drives. As for the two slight kicks, I don't know what you are referring to as I have not noticed it nor has anyone ever brought it to my attention before.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
No..there are no spikes on stock one. We have already made tests using boost gauge on stock car. Its just refuses to go above 0,4 bar (6psi i think).

We ve seen no spikes so far on stock car.
Please understand that you are comparing what you see, stock on a boost gauge to what you see with the PROcede, on the logging software. The boost gauge will not show the throttle-lift spike be cause it is plumbed into the intake manifold, NOT intercooler tube. As a result, the readers will be much more stable by that reason alone. If you want to log stock boost using the PROcede logger, just set all User TQ values to 0% and see the spikes for yourself.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
can you also drive it for like 50 miles. is that the same thing when you remove the negative cable from the battery?
I'm not sure about that. Unless you disconnect the battery, the ECU is still learning the new configuration on top of everything it has learned previously.

Disconnecting the battery just allows it to learn from scratch with the new changes you've made. The 50 mile recommendation is for safety, but I belive someone at Vishnu said that several pulls to redline to log boost levels would be enough to determine if you can (or would want to) change the user map settings from default.

Disconnecting the battery cable is so simple and resolves so many strange errors and problems, It's become a standard procedure for me. The only time I ever had an anomaly was when I forgot to disconnect the battery cable. Your mileage may vary, of course!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #19
Checkman
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Seeing spikes when you lift off the gas is normal. They are isolated to the intercooler tube and the engine does not see this spike in pressure. That is what the bypass valves are in charge of relieving. This is explained in the documentation.

You're screwed. Just kidding This is normal. The 0.4psi just represents the baro reading at your particular altitude. It will change as a function of atmospheric pressure.

Reset your ECU as per the instructions. Also note that the cruise lever has a "step" in it. If you use it to accelerate, pressing it slightly will make the car accelerate under no or little boost pressure. If you press it harder (beyond the "step"), the car will accelerate under moderate boost. If you bounce back and forth between this subtle "step", boost will bounce up and down. This bouncing isn't that obvious when the car is stock because:

1) You didn't have a logging software to see it.
2) Stock boost was much lower.

You're engine does not see those boost spikes. So it has no influence over how your car drives. As for the two slight kicks, I don't know what you are referring to as I have not noticed it nor has anyone ever brought it to my attention before.

-shiv

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that.

So the only issue to be resolved is the kickback of the car, when throttle is releasing. I will revert to stock map and see if the same issue occurs while on stock map. I dont remember the car behaving like this before. I will also try another car to cross-check.

Thanks again...if I have any news about this i will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #20
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that.

So the only issue to be resolved is the kickback of the car, when throttle is releasing. I will revert to stock map and see if the same issue occurs while on stock map. I dont remember the car behaving like this before. I will also try another car to cross-check.

Thanks again...if I have any news about this i will let you know.
When you mean a kick as in hesitation, because i felt this two times during the first drive about 7 miles since i loaded the V2.02 12-19 map..Both occured from initial take off with little throttle from a stop sign...There was a kick (hesitation) then the car took off....Next day i drove the car for about 60 miles or so and i have not felt that jerk or hesitation since...I will report back if this happens again...My car is AT
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #21
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Also you had your previous map set to 97% torque values!!!! What octane gas are you using?? Thats pretty high if you not running race gas!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #22
stillclaimndp
Dancing Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 ZSP

Quote:

all that is happening is your throttle is closing and the boost is no longer being sucked into the intake manifold, the pressure builds up in the intake system until the bypass valve (aka blow off or diverter valve) opens up and releases boost and the turbo compressor wheel slows down.
2007 e90 & 1981 Corvette Predecessors: 2007 BMW 335i E92, 2006 M5, 2008 Viper SRT10 Coupe, 2005 Viper Yellow, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2006 S4, 2001.5 Nogaro Blue S4, 2006 GTI w/ DSG, 06 Evo IX, 04 S4, 04 911x51, 03 Evo VIII, 98 Eclipse GSX, 96 GST, 92 Galant Vr-4, '70 Grand Prix Model J, '70 Nova, '68 Firebird
Appreciate 0