F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > US M Sport Vs European M Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

09-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' 335XI M Sport

US M Sport Vs European M Sport

Since we've recently found out that the 2015 M Sport cars will have fogs unless the car is equipped M Sport Brakes, I was curious as what affect this would have to the two additional radiators that are usually installed on US cars.

Previous US M Sport models have had two extra radiators, the driver side for coolant, and the passenger side for engine oil.

A post of a US 2015 335i M Sport with the fog lights shows that the driver side fog light duct is fake and that the radiator isn't there.

My question is: Does the European Model of the of the M Sport that have ALWAYS come with fog lights, also come with two additional radiators? Or do they have just one? Like the US 2015 M Sport models with just passenger side?

I want to know whether I'm being screwed out of a radiator, or if I'm essentially receiving a European Spec car.

According to the EOM, it seems like it has just come with one, but I wanted to confirm with you guys.

I know I should be asking my CA these kinds of questions, but he keeps telling me my car will NOT have fog lights even though the decoded VIN says it will and I've found multiple cars online w/o M Sport brakes (like mine) that have them. He is also telling me that the additional radiators ARE NOT a part of the M Sport package, which I believe is pretty much false.

Sources:
Post of 2015 M Sport w/ Fogs & passenger side radiator:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1024409&page=4

14' US Spec 335
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...87&hg=17&fg=05

14' EU Spec 335
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...78&hg=17&fg=05

15' 335i XDrive - M Sport, MPPK, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Driver Assist, Harmon Kardon, Sport Automatic, Heat Front Seats, Enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

I have posed this same question, but no one seemed to know? I am receiving Foglights with MBrakes, but it's a euro spec. Not sure about radiators, friends I have asked with similar builds don't seem to have any.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
I have posed this same question, but no one seemed to know? I am receiving Foglights with MBrakes, but it's a euro spec. Not sure about radiators, friends I have asked with similar builds don't seem to have any.
Yeah, I decided to make a separate thread since it seemed like it was getting glossed over in the other thread.

Your friends don't seem tohave the additional coolant radiator?

15' 335i XDrive - M Sport, MPPK, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Driver Assist, Harmon Kardon, Sport Automatic, Heat Front Seats, Enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamboRambo View Post
Since we've recently found out that the 2015 M Sport cars will have fogs unless the car is equipped M Sport Brakes, I was curious as what affect this would have to the two additional radiators that are usually installed on US cars.

Previous US M Sport models have had two extra radiators, the driver side for coolant, and the passenger side for engine oil.

A post of a US 2015 335i M Sport with the fog lights shows that the driver side fog light duct is fake and that the radiator isn't there.

My question is: Does the European Model of the of the M Sport that have ALWAYS come with fog lights, also come with two additional radiators? Or do they have just one? Like the US 2015 M Sport models with just passenger side?

I want to know whether I'm being screwed out of a radiator, or if I'm essentially receiving a European Spec car.

According to the EOM, it seems like it has just come with one, but I wanted to confirm with you guys.

I know I should be asking my CA these kinds of questions, but he keeps telling me my car will NOT have fog lights even though the decoded VIN says it will and I've found multiple cars online w/o M Sport brakes (like mine) that have them. He is also telling me that the additional radiators ARE NOT a part of the M Sport package, which I believe is pretty much false.

Sources:
Post of 2015 M Sport w/ Fogs & passenger side radiator:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1024409&page=4

14' US Spec 335
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...87&hg=17&fg=05

14' EU Spec 335
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...78&hg=17&fg=05
So, your CA is clearly not well informed and not doing anything about it.

I'm speculating, but my guess is that since Europe generally doesn't get as hot as the U.S. they have never received the supplemental coolant radiator.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I'll take a shot. m-sport brakes enable the car to be "track ready" and as a result BMW decided to install a secondary radiator for the coolant. This makes sense since the car is now equipped for sustained high rpm driving seen on a track.

BMW correctly assumes you will never subject the car to this type of punishment on the street. So if you don't intend to upgrade the brakes for tracking there's no need for the extra radiator. The oil cooler is the most important anyways and you get that regardless of brake pkg.

In all seriousness if you step back and think about it it's not a big deal way or another.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, your CA is clearly not well informed and not doing anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
I'll take a shot. m-sport brakes enable the car to be "track ready" and as a result BMW decided to install a secondary radiator for the coolant. This makes sense since the car is now equipped for sustained high rpm driving seen on a track.

BMW correctly assumes you will never subject the car to this type of punishment on the street. So if you don't intend to upgrade the brakes for tracking there's no need for the extra radiator. The oil cooler is the most important anyways and you get that regardless of brake pkg.

In all seriousness if you step back and think about it it's not a big deal way or another.
You're absolutely right. I highly doubt I will ever NEED that kind of cooling. With that being said, I just liked to be informed about what I'm receiving/using. Especially when I've sunk a big chunk of change into it.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just as a side note, I wonder if this will help address some of notorious limp mode issues in the 335i M Sports?

Again, according to EOM, it seems that the electric fan (that a lot of people post as the issue in the limp mode thread) is different in the European version and the US version of M Sport.

Limp mode thread:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=786475

US fan:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=17&fg=05

European fan:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=17&fg=05

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

I have a 2013 build 335 M sport, dual radiators and no fogs. Official window sticker states I have fogs. Do not have performance brakes. Car looks better without fogs so I'm happy they aren't there.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post

So my car should have the secondary coolant radiator?
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
I have a 2013 build 335 M sport, dual radiators and no fogs. Official window sticker states I have fogs. Do not have performance brakes. Car looks better without fogs so I'm happy they aren't there.
Axman, is your build US or European?

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
Tony M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 428i Coupe

FWIW, I have a 428i coupe with SAT and M-sport brakes. I'm in Australia so it's EU spec RHD and has foglights.

Both side ducts are blocked off with no oil or coolant auxiliary radiators behind.

Looking on OEMparts using my serial No, it seems I'd only get the auxiliary coolant radiator if I had the trailer coupling and/or hot climate version. I can't imagine Australia being anything other than a hot climate, so I guess it's the lack of trailer coupling that loses the aux radiator.

So far, the car runs very cool, around the second mark, 1/4 way on the oil temp gauge, which is 95 degrees C. It will be interesting to see what it does in our summer temps.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
FWIW, I have a 428i coupe with SAT and M-sport brakes. I'm in Australia so it's EU spec RHD and has foglights.

Both side ducts are blocked off with no oil or coolant auxiliary radiators behind.

Looking on OEMparts using my serial No, it seems I'd only get the auxiliary coolant radiator if I had the trailer coupling and/or hot climate version. I can't imagine Australia being anything other than a hot climate, so I guess it's the lack of trailer coupling that loses the aux radiator.

So far, the car runs very cool, around the second mark, 1/4 way on the oil temp gauge, which is 95 degrees C. It will be interesting to see what it does in our summer temps.
Mine is a hot climate version coming, so I wonder if it will have extra coolers, because Jamaica is hotter than most of the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

I wonder if the extra coolant radiator is still standard on some models. I know that it was standard on all sport lines stateside, not to mentioned MSport.

I like having that extra radiator there
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
I wonder if the extra coolant radiator is still standard on some models. I know that it was standard on all sport lines stateside, not to mentioned MSport.

I like having that extra radiator there
Incorrect, if you are referring to U.S. models when you say "stateside". The extra coolant radiator was only ever on M Sport line models.

The 335i gets an oil cooler in the passenger side wheel well regardless of model.

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-08-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

Mine is a US Spec. When decoding the vin it calls out the hot climate version, option S823A.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm very surprised that BMW doesn't classify Australia as not a "Hot Climate". Thanks for the info. It seems that the EU version of the M Sport does not come with the extra coolant radiator.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #17
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

Weird, I have the 435d with SAT and MSport brakes and the left side is not blocked off (and the right side has a few holes as well)

2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
Weird, I have the 435d with SAT and MSport brakes and the left side is not blocked off (and the right side has a few holes as well)

I believe that's because you have a 435d. tturedraider said that the 335 automatically get an extra engine oil radiator regardless of trim. Since Tony M has a 328, he wouldn't get that.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamboRambo View Post
I believe that's because you have a 435d. tturedraider said that the 335 automatically get an extra engine oil radiator regardless of trim. Since Tony M has a 328, he wouldn't get that.
Yeah, you're right, I didn't catch that.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #20
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Incorrect, if you are referring to U.S. models when you say "stateside". The extra coolant radiator was only ever on M Sport line models.

The 335 gets an oil cooler in the passenger side wheel well regardless of model.
Are you sure about that? Check the link below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=752163

My non-M sport-line has a cooler too. And it's a 328i.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

LOL, this stuff is getting more and more weird by the minute!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #22
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I never said 328i's don't get an oil cooler. Try reading again what I wrote.

The oil cooler and the ancillary coolant radiator are two different things.