THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i - Stock Exhaust vs M Performance Back Box

09-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
V5M235i
Rep
Drives: M235i with M Sport Pack

M235i - Stock Exhaust vs M Performance Back Box

Hey All,

I know this will have been covered, but has anyone gone from the M235i Stock exhaust to the M Sport Performance exhaust on here?

I'm surprised by the sound of the stock exhaust, but worried the Performance exhaust might be too noisy in the real world. I don't want it to sound like a boy racers car!!

Any thoughts?

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Boxman911
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

If you're not happy with the standard noise/volume then go for it. The MPE is not really that noticeable in comfort or Eco. It's louder in sport & sport+ & on start up and you will get louder pops and crackles on downshifts. I really wouldn't describe it as noisy. If you want more volume but not too much then I would recommend it. There's some contact details on my thread where you can get a good price. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004397
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
V5M235i
Rep
Drives: M235i with M Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxman911 View Post
If you're not happy with the standard noise/volume then go for it. The MPE is not really that noticeable in comfort or Eco. It's louder in sport & sport+ & on start up and you will get louder pops and crackles on downshifts. I really wouldn't describe it as noisy. If you want more volume but not too much then I would recommend it. There's some contact details on my thread where you can get a good price. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004397
AMAZING!!!

What did you pay for the back box? £800 supplied only?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Boxman911
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Cheers. It worked out 525 delivered at the time, alot cheaper than the UK quotes I was getting.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxman911 View Post
+1

Couldn't agree more.

-Rumbles pretty good for about 45 sec on cold startup
-Pops when in sport/+ w/ high rpm up/downshifts
-Cruising around in Eco/Comfort it's quite civil sounding. Not annoying at all.
-Does not drone when on highway. I hate when you pull up to a silly Honda Civic with a pipe and it's just blaring along. None of that here.
-When you really put your foot in it, it delivers an intoxicating roar.

I gotta say, if I had to do it again, I would pay double for my MPE. It dramatically improves the entire car experience, having that slightly tougher sound coming from out back.

Hope you get it!

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
jsbird
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2009 328i

As Bladeomatic said...
Ran with the stock for a week, which is "decent" sounding, especially in Sport mode. Put on the MPE after that week, and I note:
- after startup "growl" for 20 sec or so, it quiets down.
- In Comfort it is civil and not much louder than stock when cruising or light gas.
- In comfort under acceleration, nice deep growl and some burbles on letting up the gas.
- In Sport louder even cruising or light acceleration, however...
- In Sport giving it gas, it REALLY sounds nice- deep, resonating, a low growl, and burbles nicely coming off the gas.
I live in a condo with a multilevel garage, and the sound does not set off other car alarms. However I do roll down the windows and put it in Sport mode even crawling through the garage to hear that nice sound.
I love this mod- makes me smile every time I give it gas, but civil and refined when not gassing.
I do not note any piped in sound in either stock or MPE, as I have read in other threads. All the sound I hear is confirmed when windows are down as being outside the car. Either the sound is not piped in over the audio, or it is so subtle I can't hear it.
This is one mod that I really recommend!
Jonathan
Appreciate 0