THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Buying a new M235i - Any marks / scuffs when buying new?

09-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
V5M235i
Rep
Drives: M235i with M Sport Pack

Buying a new M235i - Any marks / scuffs when buying new?

Hey All,

First post on the forum.

I'm from the UK, and taken delivery of a M235i on Saturday, and its AMAZING!!

I just wondered how people dealt / felt about seeing tiny marks, scratches on the car after taking it home?

There was a scratch on the plastic on the inside of the boot when I picked it up, there is also a scratch on the M Performance Side Skirt, and also a tiny mark on the interior door on the drivers side?

How perfect should a new car be?

Just interested to hear peoples thoughts

Thanks

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

should be flawless. If caught before delivery, I would make them replace the parts or subtract a couple more dollars from the deal. Afterwards, you are kind of stuck I would think.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5M235i View Post
Hey All,

First post on the forum.

I just wondered how people dealt / felt about seeing tiny marks, scratches on the car after taking it home?

There was a scratch on the plastic on the inside of the boot when I picked it up, there is also a scratch on the M Performance Side Skirt, and also a tiny mark on the interior door on the drivers side?

Thanks

Paul

I would expect it to be flawless when I first pick it up from the dealer... But don't expect it to stay flawless if you driving it on public roads lol I find every week or so I wash my car I'll find new scratches, rock chips, etc etc...

But definitely if you bought it new always take a look around the car to look for those imperfections and take note of them and tell them to fix it before you drive off. Otherwise they might just say you did it on your own.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
V5M235i
Rep

Thanks guys, I know things get marked, and scuffed and its just part of the " fun " of having a car lol, but having seen the marks after my first day I just thought do I just say oh well, or do I take It back and say no I'm not happy. I went to the dealer today, and he said he can replace the scratched panel in the boot, but would need to speak to his manager on Monday about the M Sport skirt scratch. Its right under and you can see it unless you get on your knees. I will see what they say tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone else found a few marks etc after taking it home!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Thanks guys, I know things get marked, and scuffed and its just part of the " fun " of having a car lol, but having seen the marks after my first day I just thought do I just say oh well, or do I take It back and say no I'm not happy. I went to the dealer today, and he said he can replace the scratched panel in the boot, but would need to speak to his manager on Monday about the M Sport skirt scratch. Its right under and you can see it unless you get on your knees. I will see what they say tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone else found a few marks etc after taking it home!!
How can a car be flawless? Just enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
V5M235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayevman View Post
How can a car be flawless? Just enjoy it.
Yeah, I agree!! My Dad tells me this all the time lol!!

Just trying to get that balance of " that's life " vs " no that needs sorting " :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
Yeah, I agree!! My Dad tells me this all the time lol!!

Just trying to get that balance of " that's life " vs " no that needs sorting " :-)

http://www.bmwcoop.com/wp-content/im...-BMW-M235i.jpg

THIS would need sorting... lol
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
V5M235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darocc View Post
Oh man!!! that's the thing of nightmares :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Hey All,

First post on the forum.

Thanks

Paul
First off, welcome to the forum, Paul! And congratulation on your new ride!

I didn't detect a single cosmetic flaw when I picked up my new car. If the flaws you found bug you, take the car back to the dealer have a chat over tea.

Enjoy your ride!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
kz1000
Mensch
Rep
Drives: 2021 230i 6mt

That'll buff out.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
First off, welcome to the forum, Paul! And congratulation on your new ride!

I didn't detect a single cosmetic flaw when I picked up my new car. If the flaws you found bug you, take the car back to the dealer have a chat over tea.

Enjoy your ride!
He's in the U.K.! Don't forget the crumpets!!

No flaws on mine either.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fusion

My nickel. It is a bit like home remodeling.

If it is something that will irritate you every time that you see it, it is worth trying to get it fixed even if the fixing is a painful process.

If it ain't, just enjoy the new kitchen, er uh, car.

Always thought that it was interesting with show car restoration / judging, if you eliminate all of the flaws (overspray for example), the car is less valuable.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Yup bring it to the dealer if you're unhappy. I've lost a wheel cap (QA issue?) and missing the m steel dead pedal (production issue); my dealer is more than happy to accommodate under warranty and provide feedback to head office
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
missxmelon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

If you're unhappy, definitely return it. I had a similar situation. First time I got the 2014 M235i there was a dent in the hood. Dealer promised they'd fix it. Well, after it was "fixed," you could still tell where the dent had been. I was really torn about bringing it back - after all, as others posted, no car is flawless. But if you're buying a brand new car, and you WANT it to be flawless, then it should be. Yes, your car will eventually have flaws. But anything that happens AFTER you drive it off the lot is the (more) acceptable kind of flaw.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by missxmelon View Post
If you're unhappy, definitely return it. I had a similar situation. First time I got the 2014 M235i there was a dent in the hood. Dealer promised they'd fix it. Well, after it was "fixed," you could still tell where the dent had been. I was really torn about bringing it back - after all, as others posted, no car is flawless. But if you're buying a brand new car, and you WANT it to be flawless, then it should be. Yes, your car will eventually have flaws. But anything that happens AFTER you drive it off the lot is the (more) acceptable kind of flaw.
Exactly. Our new Q5 arrived with numerous spider markings and a few other scratches after transport. Long story short, we got the dealer to pay for a detailer of our choosing to restore the entire paint.

You didn't pay for scratches or marring, so make sure the dealer does. Find a detailer you like with quality work. Have him/her assess the damage and provide an estimate - take that to the dealer to have them pay.

After that, she is all yours to protect. I would suggest paying for an extra coat of something like CQuartz as well.
      09-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #16
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
I never noticed but my detailer did when he opticoated my car two weeks after taking delivery. One small black spec under the clear coat on my rear bumper and a tiny tiny chip on the black window trim. Being of the mindset that trying to get small issues fixed sometimes turns them into big issues I'm living with them.
      09-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
I never noticed but my detailer did when he opticoated my car two weeks after taking delivery. One small black spec under the clear coat on my rear bumper and a tiny tiny chip on the black window trim. Being of the mindset that trying to get small issues fixed sometimes turns them into big issues I'm living with them.
Man do I agree with that let sleeping dogs lie. Mine is mineral grey so that probably is kinder to hiding small imperfections
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
missxmelon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Good points above! I was actually within AutoNation's 3-day window, so I straight up returned the car and then ordered a new one. Ended up being better for me anyway cause I added the M performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0