E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > DME Updated - Lost All Coding - Including PPK

09-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Angry DME Updated - Lost All Coding - Including PPK

This past Wednesday my San Diego dealer replaced my battery and register it. They also upgraded my DME from 98F0B to 98G0B.

All my coding is gone, to include Alpina Flash and PPK.
The exhaust note has been reduced greatly, turbo lag, and loss of throtle response. FML. I am going to have the dealer re-install my PPK, I had a feeling something was up, when they said did you get the PPK at Dinan.

Before I had my PPK installed at BMW of El Cajon this was almost 3 years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
took my car back to the dealer today.

Got the ISTA/P report.

DME/DDE Power Kit is now activated
now I need to re-code my car, they used version 3.53.4.002 meaning I need Daten version 2.53.4, does any one have the link to download the full version. please PM me thank you.

PS the exhaust note changed due to the upgrade of the DME but the torque and hp is back on, so lesson learn for those of you who trust the dealer... remember trust but verify.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
This past Wednesday my San Diego dealer replaced my battery and register it. They also upgraded my DME from 98F0B to 98G0B.

The exhaust note has been reduced greatly, turbo lag, and loss of throtle response. FML. I am going to have the dealer re-install my PPK, I had a feeling something was up, when they said did you get the PPK at Dinan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the ISTA/P report.

now I need to re-code my car, they used version 3.53.4.002 meaning I need Daten version 2.53.4, does any one have the link to download the full version. please PM me thank you.

PS the exhaust note changed due to the upgrade of the DME but the torque and hp is back on, so lesson learn for those of you who trust the dealer... remember trust but verify.
ive got a ppk on my n55 and I had a cold start issue and a dme update was supposed to solve the problem.. before they updated the dme I knew ahead of time that would remove the ppk but spoke to my service advisor about it at the time and he said that he looked into it and I always got 2 answers 1. the dme update wont affect the ppk (software part) 2. the dme update will automatically detect you have a ppk and keep that intact. at any rate how did you know for sure you lost the ppk??? and yes the exhaust note being reduced is common

at the time i made this thread! check it out

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932762
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

In my case, my installation dealer knew whats up, but I took it to the dealer that I purchase my car back in 2011. They had no clue, I mention to them about the PPK and the SA said he would tell the foreman.

When I got my car, the throttle response had changed, the exhaust sound was very quiet... and so much more little details.

I checked the DME and yes, it had changed. I called my SA and he said that they did not mess with any hardware. I mention to him the PPK is software based and he asked to bring it back for a "re-check".

The installer says the car "Retains the Power Kit" after a DME update, if the FSC code and the Vehicle Order are in the system (SWT Online).

However I was able to notice a difference even though the dealer claims I was already good to go. Basic accelartion test, and gear change resulted in a faster times from my previous log of last week. In addition the throttle was not weak... Plus this time I got the ISTA/P report to prove its installed and activated.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Same thing happened to me, I went in for an oil change and they decided to update the DME without telling me and I lost the PPK. The dealer agreed to re-load it, the line your dealer fed you about them being able to detect it is BS!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Well, I'm making sure not to get a DME update.
      09-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Well, I'm making sure not to get a DME update.
I gained an extra PSI by upgrading from 98DOB+PPK to 98GOB
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post

Got the ISTA/P report.

I had the same exact update done to my car and I agree on the exhaust note. It is not as loud, especially during cold starts. I also lost all my coding but I knew that it would happen. But it's weird because my alpina flash wasn't erased. I wonder why yours disappeared?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

It's an ECU flash- shouldn't have affected the TCU.

Conversely, an Alpina TCU flash should not affect an ECU flash. They should have been mutually exclusive events.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
What's this DME update all about? Is it supposed to fix something?
      09-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
What's this DME update all about? Is it supposed to fix something?
depends what dme version you are currently running... it doesn't always fix something.. it's just a newer version of the software.. and to be honest when I got my dme updated to try to fix a cold start issue I tried to reason with them to pay attention to the ppk but regardless i didn't care much because I run a jb4 tune so that cancels out the ppk and i didn't pay for it ether came with the car lol but it's def annoying no one should bother with a dme update unless it might really fix an issue
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewe92 View Post
depends what dme version you are currently running... it doesn't always fix something.. it's just a newer version of the software.. and to be honest when I got my dme updated to try to fix a cold start issue I tried to reason with them to pay attention to the ppk but regardless i didn't care much because I run a jb4 tune so that cancels out the ppk and i didn't pay for it ether came with the car lol but it's def annoying no one should bother with a dme update unless it might really fix an issue
Ah, ok. Thanks! I was just wondering because cold starts on my car result in some rattling that sounds like what might be the wastegate rattle but it goes away completely once the idle settles and the car warms up. Best explanation could find was in the 1-series forum (found via Google search, didn't try too hard here):
"The wastegate is closed by vacuum and the electronic pressure valves. The vacuum pump takes just a little while to create enough vacuum to fully seal the wastegate as well as the DME delays the full closing of the wastegate on startup to allow the wastegates to rotate, thus cleaning the valve and seat area. The noise is loudest and lasts the longest on a cold start due to the non-expansion of the wastegate components."

But then I thought I read somewhere that a DME update could fix it, but it affected low-end torque so some would actually have it reversed and deal with the noise rather than have it affect the power delivery.
      09-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
Ah, ok. Thanks! I was just wondering because cold starts on my car result in some rattling that sounds like what might be the wastegate rattle but it goes away completely once the idle settles and the car warms up. Best explanation could find was in the 1-series forum (found via Google search, didn't try too hard here):
"The wastegate is closed by vacuum and the electronic pressure valves. The vacuum pump takes just a little while to create enough vacuum to fully seal the wastegate as well as the DME delays the full closing of the wastegate on startup to allow the wastegates to rotate, thus cleaning the valve and seat area. The noise is loudest and lasts the longest on a cold start due to the non-expansion of the wastegate components."

But then I thought I read somewhere that a DME update could fix it, but it affected low-end torque so some would actually have it reversed and deal with the noise rather than have it affect the power delivery.
interesting yeah well these cars just like any other car out there isn't perfect my car has some rattling at idle cold and warm lol I got over it though
Appreciate 0