Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

09-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
jongchen
Rep
Drives: BMW '07 335i

M3 Ordering Experience

I just place an deposit down on an M3 for February European and (don't know when) performance center delivery.

Some of the dealers in the area were quite frustrating to deal with.

Called Sterling BMW and they said that they didn't have any M3's in stock but I could drive the M4 that they had. Showed up at Sterling BMW and they said that they could not allow test drives on the M4 that they had because it had the carbon ceramic brakes and that if a "regular" one came in that they would be able to set something up. The sales guy indicated that European delivery and performance center delivery would not be a problem to setup.

Called Passport BMW and talked to a sales guy. He said that they had an M4 in stock but could not allow any test drive unless I bought the car. That sounded a little strange to me and I asked to talk to the sales manager. He said the same thing. When I asked about European delivery and performance center deliver he flat out told me that they would not do European delivery and that performance center was a "maybe." When I asked why he said that they wanted to make the "extra money" on the car.

Drove over to BMW of Fairfax (which I had no idea existed) and talked to a sales guy there. They did not have an M3 in stock and were not allowing test drives on the M4 that they did have. The sales guy looked new and couldn't comment on the European delivery or performance center delivery.

I then went home and just started calling dealers.

Talked to BMW of Annapolis. BMW of Annapolis does not allow test drives on the M cars. The sales guy I talked to was the "certified M" consultant and knew his stuff but still couldn't arrange for a test drive.

I used the web contact form for a couple of dealers and sent them my configuration and that I wanted to do European delivery and performance delivery.

Northwest BMW contacted me and I talked to one of their sales guys. He said no M3's in stock but they had an M4 and that I could drive it whenever I wanted to. So I did. Took the day off from work and drove over with my wife. Drove the M4 and was pretty impressed with it. Especially the Silverstone metallic. On the web site it looks like a baby blue. In person it looks like a light silver. I thought it was fantastic. I then gave him an deposit and placed an order for a M3. Highly reccomend working with BMW of Northwest and especially my sales guy John Kim. Including the test drive I was in and out of there in 1 hour.

So the summary:
  • Dealers in Virginia are not currently allowing test drives of the M cars
  • M3's are in short supply
  • Northwest BMW is allowing test drives of their M4
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

If you're interested in ED and PCD, skip the local dealers entirely, as there is no reason to use them anymore (other than test drives, but it appears you've managed to get that out of the way). You can set up an ED+PCD sale with any dealer in the US, car is still going to end up at the PC for you to drive home when it's all said and done. I wish you the best of luck.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
jongchen
Rep
Drives: BMW '07 335i

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
If you're interested in ED and PCD, skip the local dealers entirely, as there is no reason to use them anymore (other than test drives, but it appears you've managed to get that out of the way). You can set up an ED+PCD sale with any dealer in the US, car is still going to end up at the PC for you to drive home when it's all said and done. I wish you the best of luck.
I fully agree with you. I was really interested in the test drive because I was a little concerned in regards to the noise and suspension tuning. Turned out it was no big deal. Had no one been willing to allow for any test drives I would have just started calling dealers all over the country to find a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

Interesting. You had the exact opposite experience that I had. Northwest told me they had an M3 and M4 in stock and when I showed up an hour later I got some story that the manger had them out to show customers. He then tried to get me to drive M6 Gran Coupe.

I called Annapolis and they had an M3 in stock that I could come look at and drive. In fact the first day i went to look at it it was parked on the showroom floor and they were going to move a bunch of cars to take it out. I then came back two days later and drove the car in a downpour. Took it home two days later.

Funny how everyone has a different experience. I have bought a few $75k plus cars and the BS of we don't allow test drives is absurd.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Yeah, it all depends who you end up getting when you walk in. At Fairfax, I had the same experience... no test drive unless you order.. which turned into no test drive unless you credit check... which then got blown out the window when an older gentleman was allowed to take a test drive by another CA. "Oh, he bought the car. For sure. Sorry still no test drive." No problem, went somewhere else. :P

BMW of Silver Spring was really good about test drive. They plucked a Genius into the back seat who basically said have fun just dont kill us. My friend had a really bad experience with their service dept though, so he wasn't totally keen, even with the good service in sales.

I don't get the whole thing where they think they make more money from non-ED... is it just that they think if it's on the lot they will be able to con someone out of more mark-up? I'd have to double check the numbers, but ED invoice -> ED MSRP and US invoice -> MSRP are probably the same margin $? shrug.
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
robertg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I purchased my F80 M3 from Northwest BMW last month (placed order on April 2nd). Kenny Hobbs was my CA and it was pleasure working with him.

Kenny sent me pictures the night their M4 launch car (the one you test drove) arrived and let me test drive it the next day. And then when they got their M3 launch car he let me test drive that one also.

I am guessing since they are a smaller dealership you don't get the arrogance of some of the larger dealerships as you discovered.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

I ll let you drive my car, buy me a bottle of caymus and we have a deal, live in Brambleton M3 Dct
Appreciate 0