E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New E92 owner - first BMW - some quick questions...

09-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
--g--
Rep
Drives: 330i Msport coup

New E92 owner - first BMW - some quick questions...

Hey guys,

So I am new BMW owner! bought a 57 plate e92 LeMans Blue 330i M Sport.

I LOVE THIS CAR!

(and I am choosing to ignore the fact I dont have it anymore as the garage had to take it back after the engine managment light appeared and the idle got rough....but I hope thats a simple fix. The car sat for 6 months and I think the battery died and might have blown the coils or something - its certainly misfiring after a couple hundred mile drive at the weekend)

Anyways, I have a couple of questions, and would really like some advice from you guys.

1. I need floor mats. I have seen loads online, but really not sure what the best ones are. The BMW ones looks dull in the pics and cost alot, is there a better alternative? (Dont want rubber ones)

2. I have an iPhone 5s and wanted to hook it up to play music. I have the iDrive with Pro Nav (I think) but I dont have any USB connectors, only the AUX one. Whats the solution? Do I have to buy the cradle thing?

Sure there are more questions to come, but lets start with the easy ones

Cheers guys

G
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

WELCOME !!!!

I got my matts off ebay recently. Not fantastic, but do the job. So if someone else can chime in with a place that produces gd quality mats then do so.

In regards to music...
As you have the old CCC system as i do... at the moment i use a belkin bluetooth connector.

It plugs into my aux, and cig lighter. It then connects to my phone/ipad ia bluetooth and i can play music through my system.

It does the job and sounds as good as if i used a cable direct from my phone to the aux.

Get some pics up of your car!!!
Tell us about your modding plans!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
--g--
Rep

thanks for the quick response man...take it there is no cable that would connect direct into the 5s then? I suspected as much...bluetooth also is better cause it means other people in the car could pair and play music too i guess.

Ill wait and see what other feedback we get on the floormats

Right now, my plans are to get it fixed and running well again! lol, then I am not sure, few bits of bodywork need touched up, the leather bolster on the drivers side needs refurbed before it gets too bad. I also need to sort the oxidized shadowline trim, which looks easy enough.

Then....who knows! I would guess new wheels, either that or take my ones off, refurb and get back in gun metal grey.

Oh...and need to horse the RFT and get a set of good rubber up front. Got AA cover so a flat will be dealt with by them (fingers crossed that wont happen)

Dont have many good pics, as I bought the car and went off for a drive and got it all filthy ha haha

Its got lots of nice extras, the Xeons that move with the cornering lights, memory seats with the wee lumbar air bags, idrive, and the paddle shifts (which are an awesome distraction)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #4
A4S
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
WELCOME !!!!

I got my matts off ebay recently. Not fantastic, but do the job. So if someone else can chime in with a place that produces gd quality mats then do so.

In regards to music...
As you have the old CCC system as i do... at the moment i use a belkin bluetooth connector.

It plugs into my aux, and cig lighter. It then connects to my phone/ipad ia bluetooth and i can play music through my system.

It does the job and sounds as good as if i used a cable direct from my phone to the aux.

Get some pics up of your car!!!
Tell us about your modding plans!!!
+1 for the Belkin device - use the same one myself for music and calls.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Lovely looking car to start as a base bud!

There is a way of connecting your iphone to the Idrve... but you would need the latest version of iDrive which is the CIC version with something called combox.
I am not very knowledgeable on it, but there are a lot of thread on making this work. It is about £800-1200 upgrade... If you are a heavy user of iDrive then it may be worthwhile, but if you aren't then your money may be better spent elsewhere....

Have a little search and look into it.

Gd Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
karlp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SE

Can always go down the Dension route also to connect ipods/iphone and usb sticks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Juz5i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 F87  [0.00]
You could always just plug your phone into the aux and have a few different playlists to choose from. Obviously you would only be able to control it from your phone and the sound won't be fantastic but it's what I do at the minute.
But then again I hardly ever have music on whilst driving unless it's a very long boring drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
--g--
Rep

Ah, so if I go with the Belkin into the AUX you cannot use the steering wheel controls? I really dont like using my phone while I drive. The options are pretty weak in terms of entertainment, I can only get council radio (non DAB) or 1 CD...and I think i threw the last of my CD's out in 2004! ha ha

The dension thing needs some investigation...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

I stick my usb all my songs on usb... Cheap and cheerful and good quality
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
I stick my usb all my songs on usb... Cheap and cheerful and good quality
Wish I could ..... My USB drive doesn't seem to like any speed/brand of stick I use

On the subject of mats, I've just got these and they're fantastic quality

LINK
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
--g--
Rep

Problem for me is not having any USB slots to even try!!

PAcman - I was looking at these mats...I take it the M badges are just velcro? Not sure about that tbh. How do they fit/mount into the footwells? Got any pics?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
paulf61
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d coupe

Regarding the mats, I found myself asking the same question after recently purchasing my E92 which came with no mats. I eventually decided to bite the bullet and pay for genuine BMW carpet ones. Having recently fitted them last Saturday, I think they look very good and are of very good quality (as you would expect for the price). All comes down to personal preference really.. I can take a couple of pics if you want to see what they look like.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
--g--
Rep

If you wouldnt mind Paul, it would be good to see. The pics on the BMW site are not very good
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Black Sapphire

Congrats on the new ride OP. Here in the states, whenever I get a new car, I usually immediately go to Weathertech and buy some floor mats. They have many options, but all of them are great. The ones I am currently using aren't a direct fit for my e90, since they're made for my old Mercedes, but at $100 a pair, and still looking great, I've yet to get rid of them. Plus they'll hold a full quart of liquid, which is...reassuring. If you haven't figured out how bad our cars cup holders are just yet, save your interior and buy bottled drinks only on road trips.

As far as your iPod is concerned, since you don't have a radio with built in Bluetooth, you can either:

Buy a newer radio from 2011 up and have it coded

Or

Buy an emulator like the Denison or Grom

Or

Buy an fm transmitter and get shite music quality

There are advantages and disadvantages to all the aftermarket solutions, but there's also plenty of discussions for all of them on these forums. And lots of helpful advice. Usually.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by --g-- View Post
Problem for me is not having any USB slots to even try!!

PAcman - I was looking at these mats...I take it the M badges are just velcro? Not sure about that tbh. How do they fit/mount into the footwells? Got any pics?
What! Velcro badges in my car?

They're easily on par with the original mats. BTW, I have a brand new bagged set I paid £90 for. I prefer these. Excellent quality. The screw in fittings come with the drivers mat and the rears are an absolute perfect fit.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #16
--g--
Rep

They look fantastic Pacman...thanks, these are exactly what I am looking for!! +1 to you my friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #17
karlp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83 View Post
Wish I could ..... My USB drive doesn't seem to like any speed/brand of stick I use

On the subject of mats, I've just got these and they're fantastic quality

LINK
Plus 1 on these mats there are probably better quality then my original BMW ones!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #18
--g--
Rep

Thanks again, ordered up the mats.

(had to wait, as about 100 miles after driving the car it started having problems, wasnt sure if i was keeping it...but after being given all the love from BMW its back, and running sweet!)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
--g--
Rep

+ 1 on the mats, excellent!

One comment would be that the mats have mounting screws that do not work with the e92 (2008) model.

That said, you don't need them anways, they dont move around too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
Xenrx
Rep
Drives: BMW - E90 M Sport

To save creating a new post about this, having searched around I may as well as the question in a topic and car similar to mine!

Currently have an 08 330d with the idrive / nav / aux usb combo in arm rest. Is there an easy solution for bluetooth audio stream that works with the BMW BT controls?
Appreciate 0