F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Charging phone in car? Bad habit?
Studio RSR

08-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
richie_s
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i x drive M sport (F30)

Charging phone in car? Bad habit?

I always have my phone plugged into my car via USB for music, but I heard people talk about their car's electronics being affected by it.

The horn on my car recently blew out and I'm guessing my phone had something to do with it...?

Anyone want to share experiences of charging their phone while driving and what it does to the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

This makes no sense to me. Your phone is only another current draw on the battery like everything else in the car. Unless your phone is pulling down like 20 amps, which would probably melt your USB port, it's not going to interfere with anything. And if you leave it plugged in all the time, it should only pretty much be fully charged all the time unless you go days without driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Tr0y
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F33 428i M Sport Convertible

Really??
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Totally.

If we make a venn diagram of total number of people who have had electrical issues with their BMW, and the total number of people who have charged their phone, I think we'd find a significant overlap. This might very well be the reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Is that like the Venn diagram of people who have some kind of rattle or buzz in their F30 and people who eat chicken? Eating chicken makes your F30 rattle!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Jdem2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Is that like the Venn diagram of people who have some kind of rattle or buzz in their F30 and people who eat chicken? Eating chicken makes your F30 rattle!
Breathing oxygen makes my F30 rattle.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
richie_s
Private
Rep

y'all is bitches
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

If your iPhone was somehow (cant imagine how) causing electricial voltage/impedence issues, you would have other symptoms from other systems that are a lot more sensitive to electrical anomalies than a horn. by the way, you have 2 horns at different frequencies. I had one of mine fail about 6 months ago and the remaining horn sounded terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

No way.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
richie_s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
If your iPhone was somehow (cant imagine how) causing electricial voltage/impedence issues, you would have other symptoms from other systems that are a lot more sensitive to electrical anomalies than a horn. by the way, you have 2 horns at different frequencies. I had one of mine fail about 6 months ago and the remaining horn sounded terrible.
Yes, the lower horn completely blew out in my car.

Turns out that it was because I flashed my high beams while I was blaring my horn at someone drifting into my lane. I didn't quite connect the two, but I remember that ever since that incident, the low pitched horn gradually started to get raspy and eventually fizzle out over the course of a few months.

I'm getting a new horn covered under warranty. I still think it's a possibility that the plugged in phone overworked the circuitry because a horn shouldn't fail simply because I flash my high beams at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
douggreglas
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s View Post
Yes, the lower horn completely blew out in my car.

Turns out that it was because I flashed my high beams while I was blaring my horn at someone drifting into my lane. I didn't quite connect the two, but I remember that ever since that incident, the low pitched horn gradually started to get raspy and eventually fizzle out over the course of a few months.

I'm getting a new horn covered under warranty. I still think it's a possibility that the plugged in phone overworked the circuitry because a horn shouldn't fail simply because I flash my high beams at the same time.
No. There is absolutely no way the current draw from the phone is causing problems. A standard USB port supplies at most 500 mA @ 5V, or 2.5 watts.

The alternator on a 3-series, meanwhile, supplies between 2,400 watts and 2,900 watts (varies with trim level).

Let's assume that various inefficiencies (stepping down in voltage, losses in the wiring system, etc) lead to your phone putting 10 watts of load on your car, then your phone uses up about 0.4% of the alternator's capacity.
Appreciate 0