THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Black - water spots

08-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F22

Black - water spots

So spend time on my 3 month old 228i yesterday doing a complete clean and wax - w/ Meguiars Black Wax.

Come out to the car this PM from being in the rain and ugly water stains all over the place.

Is there preparation I can do to eliminate this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsmithii
So spend time on my 3 month old 228i yesterday doing a complete clean and wax - w/ Meguiars Black Wax.

Come out to the car this PM from being in the rain and ugly water stains all over the place.

Is there preparation I can do to eliminate this?

Thanks.
man I'm right there with you. I've never had a car respond so poorly to RAIN before. looks horrible after every storm here...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Same here. Looks especially bad right after getting hit with rain. The water spots look like black dirt.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F22

Thanks. Maybe someone will rescue us with a solution...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Rescue? Doubt it, LOL but offer the help you might not like. First, besides moving to Palm Springs, I bet your car HAS to sit outside...thus a night time rain, then drying brings spots on...same thing if at work, and it rains at 10 and then dries by ride home time. Oddly enough, I actually will wipe it down if still wet before leaving and rain has quite . Even at work in the carpark.

For the dried spots you asked about---you can carry a spray bottle of a good spray on wax or shine spritzer & several microfibers in car boot. Out on a trip or at home, at end of day, just walk around, spritz it good, and wipe it down carefully. The water spots need a good soak though and keep a good layer of wax on surface to simply protect your wiping efforts.

Obviously if you have a deep layer of road dirt dried on from the rainy trip home, then it requires something like the "spray wash"---and not a lot of aggressive wiping. And always in the above, use lots of clean sides of microfiber cloth. One ought not take too many swipes with same cloth section over a new paint area.

It's the bane of a black car--water spotting and constant care. But, if one has a process, and the carried equipment, and takes 5 minutes to spray and wipe down--much of it can be "rescued" as it were. Each time though.
Appreciate 0