E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 + a turbo upgrade

08-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

N55 + a turbo upgrade

So I've been shopping around for turbo upgrades and what options there are available to the N55 platform. To be honest I'm surprised to read the conversations between vendors and what not. There's too many pages and too much misinformation. I (and hopefully others) wish to consolidate all our options to make a decision what we want to invest in.

As far as I'm aware there are the following kits available right now both that can be tuned by either a Cobb or a JB4 (for the restrictive 2012+ N55's ONLY Jb4 in available)

PURE Stage 1 - Compressor wheel upgrade
Vargas/VTT - Stage 2

In development:
PTF - Stage 2. Also other goodies like LPFP and HPFP upgrades AND "apparent" ways to tune 2012 + N55's.
Dinan - Stage 4 compressor wheel upgrade - in development but only one wth confirmed write-to-ecu for 2012+ N55's
RB N55 - not much known about this.

My request is that a representative from each vendor to make ONE SINGLE POST about the Pros/Cons about their solution. Anything goes apart from comparing your product against another product. i.e. My product is better because its cheaper or makes more power or x/y/z. We are all well educated consumers and we can make that decision for ourselves depending on what we are after and our budget.

Important things to touch on:
- Cost + cost of shipping (Local to you or international)
- What testing has been done?
- What type of warranty comes with the hardware itself?
- What is your returns policy in the event of a faulty unit following hours spent on install?
- For international customers, what type of support should we expect during our business hours?
- What supporting hardware upgrades are required?
- Are your kits compatible with RHD and/or LHD vehicles?
- What tuning solutions are needed to support the kit? (Specifically towards 2012 + N55's where Cobb/ECU flashes are not available)
- Any other information that might be useful - dyno charts, fuels used, dyno's used, atmospheric conditions etc. etc.

I hope this gets received well.

P
      08-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
All the info you are looking for is already in 2 threads - one discussing Pure and one discussing VTT.

Pure thread - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850405
VTT thread - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009487

I suggest you read the threads. ALL the info you are asking for is in the threads or on their website. Fill in your chart and we can make it a stickie.
      08-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

I think its best we have these line items clearly articulated in a central location from the vendor directly. I am aware that within a 51 page or non-vendor-initiated thread would contain most of the relevant information, however, I still think its best we had them in one clear and concise location.
      08-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
So I've been shopping around for turbo upgrades and what options there are available to the N55 platform. To be honest I'm surprised to read the conversations between vendors and what not. There's too many pages and too much misinformation. I (and hopefully others) wish to consolidate all our options to make a decision what we want to invest in.

As far as I'm aware there are the following kits available right now both that can be tuned by either a Cobb or a JB4 (for the restrictive 2012+ N55's ONLY Jb4 in available)

PURE Stage 1 - Compressor wheel upgrade
Vargas/VTT - Stage 2 Has 2 stage 2 options and also has stage 1 option.

In development:
PTF - Stage 2. Also other goodies like LPFP and HPFP upgrades AND "apparent" ways to tune 2012 + N55's. Do you mean their single turbo kit? I am pretty sure that won't fit RHD
Dinan - Stage 4 compressor wheel upgrade - in development but only one wth confirmed write-to-ecu for 2012+ N55's
RB N55 - not much known about this.I thought he gave up on this

My request is that a representative from each vendor to make ONE SINGLE POST about the Pros/Cons about their solution. Anything goes apart from comparing your product against another product. i.e. My product is better because its cheaper or makes more power or x/y/z. We are all well educated consumers and we can make that decision for ourselves depending on what we are after and our budget.

Important things to touch on:
- Cost + cost of shipping (Local to you or international)Shipping is always going to suck for us Aussies
- What testing has been done?
- What type of warranty comes with the hardware itself? I know Vargas is one year
- What is your returns policy in the event of a faulty unit following hours spent on install? I'd be pleasantly suprised if anyone agrees to pay for labour on install/removal in a warranty case
- For international customers, what type of support should we expect during our business hours? Tony at Vargas has been very responsive and helpful on emails with me
- What supporting hardware upgrades are required? There is a good thread over on German Boost on this.
- Are your kits compatible with RHD and/or LHD vehicles? Stock frame upgrades are going to be RHD compatible. Bigger single turbo kits not so much. If you wanted something big I would try a top mount kit like Ventura Motors/FFTEC etc. and guess you would have to make a custom downpipe at minimum
- What tuning solutions are needed to support the kit? (Specifically towards 2012 + N55's where Cobb/ECU flashes are not available)You could make it work JB4 only (maybe with the addition of meth) but flash would definitely be preferable.
- Any other information that might be useful - dyno charts, fuels used, dyno's used, atmospheric conditions etc. etc. I'll update my thread with another dyno/trap speed when PTF finishes my e85 map.

I hope this gets received well.

P
Thought I'd put in my 2c.
Appreciate 0