E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Best Tune for the following scenario...?

12-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Best Tune for the following scenario...?

I know most people on this subforum of the site are interested in #'s and boost psi and other mods and such, but for myself and I think some other people we just need some basic information on the tunes. I love all the information out there and have learned a great deal from people like Shiv, Terry, Euguene, etc. who have chimed in with their thoughts and knowledge from time to time.

Anyway, in layman's terms, which would be the best tune for someone in my situation? The choices are overwhelming: JB2, Procede, Xede, Attache, Dinan, SSTT, etc. Here are my parameters:

- 6MT
- No other mods planned other than an ecu tune/piggyback/flash.
- Will spend 90% of the time at 5k rpms or under.
- Will spend 90% of the time at 85mph or under.
- 91 Octane 100% of the time.
- Will never track the car or race the car.
- Would like to have great real world acceleration, i.e. from stoplights, passing people, etc. Basically, be very quick/fast in daily driving situations.
- Would like smooth power delivery, not turbo boost feel.
- Still would like to shock my passengers with the power
- Lease (if that matters)
- Willing to pay for the best tune, but want value.
- Prefer not to mess with wiring, although if all these other factors lend themselves to a Xede, Procede or JB, then more than happy to mess with wiring.

All thoughts are very appreciated. From my preferences, it seems like I would want a higher torque in lower rpms. Sadly that is the only conclusion I can come up with given my limited knowledge of this field.
      12-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
i would say PROcede 1.47, if you want a cheaper route go JB, but you get what you pay for.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

Being totally neutral and not owning any ecu programming for what you want

I would recommend JB2. Also don't forget to add a BMC air filter (good for 4-8 hp).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
CarveOut
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 Individual

Your leasing firm will probably not like to have their car tuned (warranty issues, decrease in value)...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

You might have a close look at Dinan, especially thus you have no additional plans for mods. Currently there are too few informations around to decide for it.

You will keep your warranty, a strong argument in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

I'm not worried that much on the warranty issues or jeopardization. I am sadly an attorney and specialize in civil litigation. I will hold my own on any bogus declination of warranty pursuant to a tune.
      12-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
CarveOut
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
I'm not worried that much on the warranty issues or jeopardization. I am sadly an attorney and specialize in civil litigation. I will hold my own on any bogus declination of warranty pursuant to a tune.
I mentioned this because you asked. Not everybody on this forum is a lawyer...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarveOut View Post
I mentioned this because you asked. Not everybody on this forum is a lawyer...
I know, I was just adding facts. Not said in any sort of combatitive way.
      12-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
gobo335i
Toy Wrangler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i - GoCart on Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
I'm contacting you if they decide to give me a hard time for my modified leased ride

I run a PROcede 1.47 and am very happy. I am waiting for the V2.02 which is supposed to be smoother. (I actually have your identical performance/use wish list outlined above and prefer canyons over drag racing). I am very happy with the product so far and have had no bothersome issues running 91 octane from Union 76 stations. No codes, no limps.

FWIW...install and removal of PROcede is not that difficult, but considerably more involved than some other products. Without question, ALL the products will impress you and your friends with how fast you accelerate past 110mph casually passing someone on the freeway.

IMO your biggest consideration will be how easy it is to remove for taking to the dealer for service. I see a lot of quiet happy casual drivers running these tunes without issue.
      12-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

If you go in order of easy to install and remove then it goes like this.
1. DINAN 13.2psi- just go to your local BMW dealer that has a DINAN rep and let them flash your ECU. You really have to do nothing but wait an hour drink some coffee and hand over your credit card $2000 and your standard factory warranty stays intact.
All remaining upgrades need to be removed before bringing your car in for service.
2. SS Turbo Tuner 11.5psi- $599 a true plug and play if you have small arms or know someone who does. It probably won't be as much power as the DINAN based on reported boost settings, but it is easily removable.
3. the remaining upgrades VISHNU, XEDE JuiceBox JB1-2-R-Pill etc--- all require some type of pin extraction in the ECU compartment. These upgrades will probably put the most power to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Just to plug our own unit of course, why not make an appointment at our Irvine tuning center and we can install a Turbo Tuner in minutes for you.

Drive around on it for a week, if you are not satisfied with the added performance just swing back by and we will remove and refund your purchase.

Merry Christmas to all!

Jeff
Eurobahn
{ask us about Holiday Specials}
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

JB2 is they way to go. Works great on 91 octane. If you running too much boost/torque at lower speeds, it becomes harder to manage because the response to throttle is much more noticeable in everday traffic conditions. Perfect example is my M3, kind of jerky at slow speeds, but fine at top end, full throttle conditions. Bottom line, its smoother to keep the stock torque characteristics of the 335i down low. Hence, the JB2 is a great performer, and excellent value. Just read all the threads, less complaints about the JB products, yet great performance for the conservative boost levels that they run.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I would take Jeff up on that offer, can't go wrong there. He even offered to install it for you.
      12-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I would take Jeff up on that offer, can't go wrong there. He even offered to install it for you.
+1, try it for a week and if you want more power you can look into the ProCede \ JB route..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Hey, another lawyer (like me regrettably). I use a Procede, but given that you are leasing, I suggest the Turbo Tuner. It makes similar power to the other tunes you listed above, except for Procede V2 and the race gas version of the JB. It is reliable, smooth, fast, and has only satisfied customers on this site from what I have read. It will do nothing with respect to the warranty. In fact, some BMW dealers are now selling the Turbo Tuner.

The ease of install and removal caters especially well to a lease. You can sell the unit when your lease expires.

I would not get the Dinan, since you are leasing and it is no bargain even if you are not leasing.

I would consider Procede, but if you do not like messing around with installation, forget about it and the JB.

Turbo Tuner is true plug, play and forget about it. It also is a very good value for the $. My two cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #16
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
Being totally neutral and not owning any ecu programming for what you want

I would recommend JB2. Also don't forget to add a BMC air filter (good for 4-8 hp).

is that proven?!?! as i read this (loook at the bottom of the page) is that the same thing???? http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/e...own_pipes.html

is so is it easy and cheap to get a new filter?!?!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #17
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

The SSTT is a better choice for you. As you know, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer to establish how the aftermarket part caused a warranty related failure. With the SSTT you are on much safer grounds for two reasons:

1. No modification to the factory electrical wiring.
2. Easy to remove and leave no trace behind.

As I was getting ready to take my car in for service I removed my SSTT in the parking garage at work. It took me 2 minutes (I had never removed it before). I worked diligently not to get my suit dirty (I succeeded) and that slowed me down. No tools involved, not even the sophisticated guitar pick supplied by the manufacturer.

I recommend investigating the background of the people making the various products. From my perspective it is important to buy from somebody with tons of experience tuning FI cars, especially FI BMW's. I also recommend finding a manufacturer that is committed to and has a history with the BMW community.

Take Jeff up on his offer! It does not get better than that. You will find that he is extremely knowledgeable and a very friendly person to deal with. If you are already in Irvine, you could accomplish the entire transaction without losing so much as a full billable hour.
      12-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #18
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

You are talking BS if you're doing 10% of your driving over 5000RPM.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #19
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

I will definitely take Jeff up on his offer once I procure my 335.
      12-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
Steve335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

I was given to understand that a Dinan flash on a leased vehicle would require the lessee to buy the vehicle at lease-end as the vehicle would not be certified.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #21
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve335i View Post
I was given to understand that a Dinan flash on a leased vehicle would require the lessee to buy the vehicle at lease-end as the vehicle would not be certified.
very interesting, so in effect the Dinan tune would be working against your warranty even more than the piggybacks which the dealership is unaware of.

I'm not in a lease, but I would never consider the Dinan if I was if what you are saying is true.

01-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #22
Trill335
انا خارج الكلبه
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve335i View Post

If you're interested in the facts about Dinan's products; just have a look at their white pages.

Many people are under the mis-conception that Dinan retains the factory warranty. I often see this on the forums. People only need to look at the fine print...i.e. "In order to qualify for Dinan’s matching new car warranty coverage" etc. Notice it says nothing about retaining the factory warranty from BMW. Because you don't retain the factory warranty...you gain warranty coverage from Dinan and loose coverage from BMW.

Taken directly from the Dinan..."Dinan is the only BMW tuner that matches the 4 year/ 50k mile new car warranty, including consequential damages. However, either the stock oil cooler or the Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler are required in order to maintain the matching new car warranty coverage. If the car is currently equipped with the factory oil cooler, Dinan strongly recommends upgrading to the larger unit for reduced and more consistent water and oil temperatures, particularly if the car is driven in a spirited fashion on a regular basis.

The Dinan Performance Products Limited Warranty

We consider our limited warranty coverage to be a very important component of each Dinan Performance Product and we want you to fully understand it. Dinan’s objective is to enhance the enthusiast’s driving experience by designing and manufacturing the best performing and highest quality automotive products possible. Our limited warranty is intended to cover Dinan products when they are used in the manner for which they were originally designed. Like any manufacturer, we cannot be responsible when our products are subjected to misuse, improper installation, misapplication, modification or neglect.

Consumers are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the specifics of Dinan’s Limited Warranty, including exclusions and potential effects to the manufacturer’s limited new car warranty, prior to making the decision to purchase and install Dinan products and systems. Consumers are invited to contact Dinan at 408-779-8584 with any questions regarding Dinan’s limited warranty coverage, procedures, exclusions, etc.

CARS COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY.

US and Canadian Specification Vehicles Only

If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The manufacturer’s new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.

To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer, during normal business hours. Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required. The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. Parts for which replacements are supplied under this limited warranty become the property of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. In all cases, a reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty repairs to be completed after the vehicle is delivered to the Authorized Dinan Dealer.

CARS NO LONGER COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY.

Dinan Performance Products are warranted for a 2-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.

To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle or Dinan product must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to any Authorized Dinan Dealer during normal business hours. In the event of a warranty claim, Dinan will repair or replace, at its sole discretion, any defective Dinan component upon receipt of the item and proof of the original purchase in the form of a lawful invoice. Labor charges associated with the repair or replacement of a Dinan product will be reimbursed at the Authorized Dinan Dealer’s standard hourly rate, based upon the original vehicle manufacturer’s and/or Dinan’s schedule of flat rate labor times. The defective component must be returned to Dinan for verification of the defect before any warranty adjustment will be made. A reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty replacement, shipping and/or repairs to be completed after the vehicle or product is received by an Authorized Dinan Dealer or Dinan’s facility.

The Dinan Limited Warranty Specifically Excludes:

•return shipping charges, •towing charges, •rental car fees •damage to a component or assembly due to the installation of replacement parts with specifications that differ in any material respect from the original vehicle manufacturer’s or Dinan parts, •damage resulting from the unauthorized modification of a Dinan part or assembly, •damage resulting from the use of other manufacturer’s products in conjunction with Dinan products or systems, •damage to the clutch due to power shifting or abuse, •brake rotor warp, •friction materials, •maintenance services and parts when replaced during maintenance such as spark plugs, lubricants, fluids, engine tune-up parts, replacement of filters, coolant and refrigerant, •mechanical adjustments or repairs which result from normal wear and tear, •drive-belts, •light bulbs, •damage due to the failure to perform maintenance services at the specified intervals or in accordance with the instructions in the owner’s manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or Dinan’s product instructions, •damage attributable to negligence, improper installation, improper treatment or treatment contrary to the instructions in the owner’s manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or Dinan’s product instructions, •engine damage resulting from altered boost pressure, •damage resulting from the use of improper or contaminated fuel, •damage occurring through corrosion resulting from weak or improper coolant, •damage to a Dinan component as a result of a collision or improper collision damage repairs, •any vehicle operated in any competitive event, •custom-designed competition parts, •damages resulting from loss of time, inconvenience or loss of the use of the vehicle, •damage resulting from environmental influences, flood, accident, fire damage, or road salt corrosion, •re-manufactured or refurbished products or components (these products are clearly identified as re-furbished and are warranted for the period specified for that particular product).

General:

The installation of Dinan Performance Products and systems may affect the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty may not apply to modifications to a vehicle or the installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which substantially alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to other original vehicle manufacturer’s components.

This warranty shall be null and void if the vehicle identification number has been altered or cannot be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.

These warranties give you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary, from state to state.

The duration of any implied warranties, including the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for a particular use, is limited to the duration of the express warranties herein. Dinan hereby excludes incidental and consequential damages, including loss of time, inconvenience, or loss of the use of the vehicle, for any breach of any express or implied warranty, including the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for a particular use, applicable to the product.

Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you.