THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions MFSW Limiter (S710A) retrofit cruise control with brake (S544A)

08-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
kct7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

MFSW Limiter (S710A) retrofit cruise control with brake (S544A)

Hi Guys,

I made a bit of a school boy error by ordering my M235i over the phone (couldn't wait any longer) and forgot to add the "comfort pack"? which had the front parking sensor & cruise control.

So basically I have the "limiter function" on the MSFW controls which is okay but I ideally would like the normal cruise control setup.

I've had a quick look on RealOEM http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=61&fg=35&hl=1
and it certainly looks like you can swap the switch gear.

Does anyone know whether I can change the VO code from S710A to S544A using ESYS and plug in the new part?

I picked the car up at the start of June and I love every inch of it

Thanks,
Kyle
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct7 View Post
Hi Guys,

I made a bit of a school boy error by ordering my M235i over the phone (couldn't wait any longer) and forgot to add the "comfort pack"? which had the front parking sensor & cruise control.

So basically I have the "limiter function" on the MSFW controls which is okay but I ideally would like the normal cruise control setup.

I've had a quick look on RealOEM http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=61&fg=35&hl=1
and it certainly looks like you can swap the switch gear.

Does anyone know whether I can change the VO code from S710A to S544A using ESYS and plug in the new part?

I picked the car up at the start of June and I love every inch of it

Thanks,
Kyle
So wait, the car doesn't come with cruise control? Who knew

What's the difference between your setup and normal cruise?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

might want to ask here http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429
or http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

you should be able to do the VO code but not sure if you need something else
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
kct7
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
So wait, the car doesn't come with cruise control? Who knew

What's the difference between your setup and normal cruise?
I know I was a little bit shocked that £38k doesn't get you cruise control...

You basically set an upper limit and the car won't breach that limit unless you're going down hill or depress the throttle say like 90% or more.

Thanks pikcachu I've done a bit of digging, there was a tutorial by a Chinese based company for a 1 series I saw somewhere.

Might just give it a go and hope for the best
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
kct7
United Kingdom
Rep

Spoke to the parts guy at my local dealer and he said it's not possible... before he'd even looked it up he was sure they'd looked into it for another customer before. He then couldn't find any retrofits on their system.

I still think it might be though... I found a PDF for the F20/F30 with the older style wheel: http://www.mediafire.com/view/5ircb7...ol_F30_F20.pdf

I wish there was some form of breakdown for each system so you could tell if you needed anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

It is possible... it's just dealers are not in the business to do retrofit so the cost of all the training is too much for the very few people that will do it....

you can just buy the parts, install and code the car.... problem is when you go for service and if they do a software update, the car will be rejected cause the vehicle order won't match the options they have in their system so you would have to remove the parts and go back to stock every time
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
kct7
United Kingdom
Rep

Went back and ordered the part it'll be here tuesday with some black kidney grilles.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
kct7
United Kingdom
Rep

Installed the buttons & Coded option '544' to the VO and re-coded FEM ICM & KOMBI works a treat
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

nice... let us know if there is any issue when you get a dealer software update
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
lazyrhino
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Package

Smile

I completed a Cruise Control with Brake retrofit in my M235i yesterday afternoon.
For anyone who's interested to know, I've written a full How-To guide in my progress thread, here - http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=20

I now have fully working Cruise Control with Brake function in my car, working perfectly! Installation was maximum 2 hours.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Kurt, I wanted to bring this thread back up. I have cruise control function and buttons but not active cruise control with braking. Were you able to test the braking portion of your retrofit ? Did you already have the front parking cameras ? I imagine it uses those.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
lazyrhino
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak
Kurt, I wanted to bring this thread back up. I have cruise control function and buttons but not active cruise control with braking. Were you able to test the braking portion of your retrofit ? Did you already have the front parking cameras ? I imagine it uses those.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here. There are only 3 tiers of cruise control related options available:
- Speed Limiter (standard on build dates post 03/14 in the UK)
- Cruise Control with brake function
- Active Cruise Control with 'Stop & Go'

My terminology in my previous post may not have been spot on (some option names are different over here to in the US), but I have fitted the second option in the above list. The braking portion of this is controlled via the ECU, and works to maintain the speed set, regardless of incline/gradient.

The Active Cruise Control with 'Stop & Go' function includes all of the above, but requires some additional parts to be fitted, as it uses a centralised front sensor (mounted behind the lower grille in the front bumper) to maintain a constant distance from the car in front. This of course also requires a slightly different coding process. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't use the front parking sensors in its operation.

I haven't done one of these retrofits myself, but I have heard it's possible. I'd need to know exactly what option you have fitted to your car at present to work out the parts you'd actually need for the install.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I have the same cruise control you retrofitted then. It will maintain speed regardless of incline. I was curious about how to go about retrofitting the 3rd type where it will maintain distance when you have cruise control on.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
lazyrhino
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak
I have the same cruise control you retrofitted then. It will maintain speed regardless of incline. I was curious about how to go about retrofitting the 3rd type where it will maintain distance when you have cruise control on.
Ok then. Well I believe such a retrofit is possible, but of course requires more work and coding changes. As far as I'm aware, you'd need to install both..
- The front distance sensor module
- The new steering wheel switches for 'Stop & Go'

And then VO code the relevant/applicable option codes to several ECU trees - can't say which at this precise moment, I'd have to work that one out.

Are you based in the UK?
Appreciate 0