E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hypothetical best/strong stock wheel type for use on rough pitted mountain roads?

08-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Hypothetical best/strong stock wheel type for use on rough pitted mountain roads?

Is there a perhaps a good choice for a winter wheel that may have an advantage over others?

I like the look of many of the stock wheels, but would there be a configuration of the spokes that might be advantageous knowing that they will be winter use wheels and tires dealing with harsh pavement and winter conditions?

Perhaps multiple wide spoked wheels?

189s are on there right now with street tires.

Are there some choices that are perhaps better or worth consideration as a winter seasonal use wheel for use in less than desirable conditions?

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I've worked on this myself--I can't even tell you how many winter wheels and tires I've bent or outright destroyed. At least 17 over the years I think. AT LEAST.

I finally got POed enough about it that I went and bought some extra-strong OZ Racing Ultraleggeras.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel..._19&sort=Brand

Well, after what I call the Great George Washington Bridge Incident......I can tell you, these guys weren't strong enough.
To be fair, the GWB had a hidden pothole so deep you saw rebar and the Hudson river below......

If you want the ultimate in strength, go for forged wheels. Never ever just standard gravity cast.
      08-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

A couple further notes: the OZs I have ARE very strong--pretty close to forged wheels in strength, and extremely lightweight--great for performance.

Here's some info from Tire Rack--an article on the various types of wheel materials.
--wheel construction--
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=90&
      08-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Nati0n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

+1 on the forged, though I wouldn't go 3-piece forged because I've read those also have bending issues with the barrels. I've bent 2 sets of wheels so far in Colorado being a winter weather state, and the potholes are terrible (though not as bad as what you gentlemen have to deal with back East).

Then again, I wouldn't go with something terribly expensive when it comes to winter wheels (most forged wheels aren't cheap) because that doesn't mean it will be unbendable, nor would I think spoke design has as much to do with the wheel as does its physical construction and manufacturing process. Your best bet is getting a smaller wheel with mooooore sidewall on your tire
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep

Might sound dumb...but I have a set of bronze TE37s that are siting indeterminately for usage...

I cant imagine those being the best wheel for the issue TBH, but who knows, they are forged...

Cant believe I am asking, probably be laughed off the board,but...
Would a old set of steel wheels and fake A** hub caps be a good solution to the request?

I really dont think I would ever do that, but I am definitely going to need something durable and proven if I can find the right way to do it!

I spend a lot of time at the mountains, and some of the roads are just plain BAD!

Is there perhaps a better approach to the question?
My instinct was to find something relatively inexpensive, has the possibility of finding ubiquitously available replacement singles if and when necessary.

So I thought if I could find a popular stock wheel the sizes and style wouldn't be too hard to track down later when needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep

Also, I was thinking about shrinking the wheel size and trying to get as much pneumatic give as possible.

What is the smallest wheel that will fit a 08 335xi?

And is this a good train of thought to go about considering the scenario?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

More tire, less metal is good. What metal you do have, make sure it's as strong as you can (reasonably) afford.

Sorry, but I don't know the particulars for the xi model--my sport package 335i will barely clear some 17 inch wheels.