F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Fixing activehybrid 3 rims cost
Extreme Powerhouse

08-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
ah3nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340 M-sport xdrive

Fixing activehybrid 3 rims cost

Hey everyone; I had someone borrow my car and they curbed my rims!! I was just wondering the cost to fix them and if any good shop exist in NYC.. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Ouch. Depending on who it is, you might want to ask the perpetrator to pay for repair or at least help out. Usually you can go to your dealership and have them take care of it, or save the markup by finding out who they use and going directly to them. Try craigslist even.

BUT I wouldn't attempt it with those wheels, because they are machined. The outer edge and those flat faces are cut & polished then clear coated, while the metallic inner sections are conventionally painted of course.

Typical minor wheel repair is done by smoothing the damage, filling with a hardening putty (something like bondo), sanding to bring the shape back, and then painting to match the original paint color.

With the machined face, if a standard repair job is done you'll end up with those areas looking different from the machined faces because it's not a color, it's a surface finish of metal that must be matched. My father had an '07 M6 and went this route for a 2" rash, because he had opted for the "wheel & tire protection plan." The repair guy didn't paint over the sanded filler, because it wouldn't match, and it had the appearance of concrete which contrasted in a bad way against the original polished metal faces. My 328i also has machined faces (style 397) and this is one reason I didn't opt for the protection plan.

The proper way is to set the wheel up on a CNC lathe and remove material until the damage is blended away, then re-apply clear coat. If the damage is deep enough, metal may need to be added via weld. This is not cheap, and you may end up shopping for a replacement wheel at wholesale (eBay or online wheel outlets) or a replica (if you dare). Alternatively you could inquire about painting the whole wheel which shouldn't be too expensive, but you'd have to do all 4 to match.

Cost on typical standard minor wheel repair should be about $75-$150 per wheel, depending on the extent of damage and any dealer markup.

I've used Wheel Collision Center in NE PA for total refinishing of a set including powdercoat, their price list (link) indicates "polish & clear coat aluminum wheel" for $105-250, and "repair & refinish polished anodized BMW Wheel" for $225-300. Those are the services I'd ask about for your wheels.

Good luck! I'm curious how it turns out, please report back if you go the repair route vs. replace.
Appreciate 0