F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Judging Interior Quality vs. Car Cost
GetBMWParts

08-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Judging Interior Quality vs. Car Cost

We often see statements across topics like "interior quality is not good for a £50k car".

How do we judge this? Where do we set the baseline, against the £50k 335d for example, or against the cheapest 3-series model available?

Same applies to any model range, take the cheapest engine model, say an M-Sport, a 318d will have the same interior parts/specification, as the most expensive engine model.

So who has the best value/quality interior? I suggest the guy who buys the cheapest model. The 318d driver has a pretty decent interior for £33k, the 335d driver may well feel he's owed a better quality interior. The M3 driver even more disappointed against the purchase price.

I know it isn't as simple as that, our perception of value, added options, can make a car feel "cheap" or "expensive" for what we sit in.

BTW, this is not just a BMW issue. As we go up the model range and spec', we pay for the engine, drivetrain, enhanced parts like brakes, plus our 'options' list, but the interior can stay the same, or very small differences to the same components. We can double the cost, but still have the same interior feel.

No wonder we often see the 320d as the "best value model" in the 3-series range, or the 520d in the 5-series range.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Ultimately the basic quality of the cars interior will be determined by its entry price point.
So the 3 series quality is better than the 1. The 5 series is better than the 3 and so on.

The only problem I have with BMW interiors is at very high price points, the interiors are still recognisably generic BMW, and some would see this as a failing in, say, an eighty grand car.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Ultimately the basic quality of the cars interior will be determined by its entry price point.
So the 3 series quality is better than the 1. The 5 series is better than the 3 and so on.

The only problem I have with BMW interiors is at very high price points, the interiors are still recognisably generic BMW, and some would see this as a failing in, say, an eighty grand car.

And therein lies the rub....you can be in a £50k (or £60k) car which feels like a £30k car for 90% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
And therein lies the rub....you can be in a £50k (or £60k) car which feels like a £30k car for 90% of the time.
I think upgraded leather and extended leather to cover the dash are probably the answer to making it feel special, neither of which I have
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

This all goes down to the BOM (Bill of Materials) for each series.

Each series will have it's own distinct BOM for a base model (not including engines, or trim)

So an entry model will have say BOM for a specific build code.

As the spec changes from sport to msport, then the only deltas will be the inclusion of msport parts where different from sport.

Add an engine, it's same BOM with deltas of the engine change.

Personally, it would be good (but not commercially practical) to have some of the standard parts upgrade in quality linked to either the trim of engine (or both).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Was that not what I said brigand?

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Was that not what I said brigand?

........ Basically

I just expanded upon it lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

You therefore breached my copyright brigand.
I shall sue.
Unless we can come to an out of court financial settlement, a la Bernie Ecclestone.......

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You therefore breached my copyright brigand.
I shall sue.
Unless we can come to an out of court financial settlement, a la Bernie Ecclestone.......

Damn, blatantly gonna have to bung you something

I can't face another day in court, those swirling doors will be the death of me
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Completely off topic, but if Scotland votes for Independence, will they have their own BMW Configurator?
They already do.

Scottish cars do not have air conditioning...

They also don't have wheels larger than 18's as they would need to use extra air
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Completely off topic, but if Scotland votes for Independence, will they have their own BMW Configurator as they will then possibly have a BMW Scotland? Or will they be able/allowed to access BMW UK for an interim period? Perhaps they should join up with BMW Ireland to make up the numbers.
      08-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
recall5150
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G31 530d xdrive

I worry that BMW is pursuing a policy of light and therefore cheap interior plastics to obtain lower weight, and therefore CO2s - and this does nothing to improve the ownership experience.

I'm surprised by the quality of plastics and leather in the F31 - coming from an A4 which, bar a few minor exceptions, is rock solid and almost harks back to late 80s Mercs in terms of the solidity of interior. Leather is supple yet tough, if such a thing is possible.

Drives like a pig, of course, but that's for another thread...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall5150 View Post
I worry that BMW is pursuing a policy of light and therefore cheap interior plastics to obtain lower weight, and therefore CO2s - and this does nothing to improve the ownership experience.

I'm surprised by the quality of plastics and leather in the F31 - coming from an A4 which, bar a few minor exceptions, is rock solid and almost harks back to late 80s Mercs in terms of the solidity of interior. Leather is supple yet tough, if such a thing is possible.

And looks like one!

I think the quality of the F30 plastics is ok. Could be a bit better in a few places. It is the Dakota leather which is tough as old boots and looks like them after a bit of use. I just don't let anyone sit in my car for too long as it buggers up the seats if they have bony backsides. Therefore, mine still look pristine. Having said all this, I rather like the simplicity of the F30 interior. The exterior is totally superb when it is an M Sport. It is a beautiful car IMO.
      08-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Not sure I follow the light and therefore cheap part and how that links to CO2.

We have some very high quality relatively delicate plastics, piano black and high quality, we tend to use heavier plastics elsewhere as they are cheaper.

I am hoping there is no bloody tree hugged CO2 policy over plastics, or China will close down lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
recall5150
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
And looks like one!

I think the quality of the F30 Plastics is ok. Could be a bit better in a few places. It is the Dakota leather which is tough as old boots and looks like them after a bit of use. I just don't let anyone sit in my car for too long as it buggers up the seats if they have bony backsides. Therefore, mine still look pristine. Having said all this, I rather like the simplicity of the F30 interior. The exterior is totally superb when it is an M Sport. It is a beautiful car IMO.

Very true. It's what moved me from Audi and Mercs. But they are very different propositions and seem to target different areas of ownership to appeal to owners, rather than making a serious bid for driving pleasure. Hence the focus on areas like interior design (Audi) or "luxury" (Merc).

For what it's worth my short list for replacing an A4 3.0 TDI avant recently included an A6 Allroad BiTDI, a 530d touring or an SQ5.

335d the heart - and head's - choice over all.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #16
recall5150
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

We have some very high quality relatively delicate plastics, piano black and high quality, we tend to use heavier plastics elsewhere as they are cheaper.

I am hoping there is no bloody tree hugged CO2 policy over plastics, or China will close down lol.
I thought this was a stated BMW policy? Could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I just can't understand how perfectly Audi can screw up some (not all as I rather like the Q5) of their cars at times. When I compared the S3 and S3 Sportback to the Golf R, the latter was noticeably better to drive even though VW and Audi use the same MQB platform and all the oily bits are more or less the same for these cars.

Last edited by F30AM; 08-06-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I thought this was a stated BMW policy? Could be wrong.
If it is, it's a load of marketing bollox then lol.

Cost is the main thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
recall5150
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

Sorry - get what you mean after a second reading. You're right, lightness does not equal cheap; but when used in the wrong places, suggests cheapness, if you catch my drift...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:
I just can't understand how perfectly Audi can screw up some (not all) of their cars at times. When I compared the S3 and S3 Sportback to the Golf R, the latter was noticeably better to drive even though VW and Audi use the same MQB platform and all the oily bits are more or less the same for these cars.
Possibly but the new S3 interior beats the R hands down IMO

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
recall5150
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I just can't understand how perfectly Audi can screw up some (not all) of their cars at times. When I compared the S3 and S3 Sportback to the Golf R, the latter was noticeably better to drive even though VW and Audi use the same MQB platform and all the oily bits are more or less the same for these cars.
Former S3 owner. Not driven the R but a GTI in good hands would leave it behind and rewards the driver: S3 was lifeless.

Audi just don't do driving finesse. And I've had loads of them. Used to think the BMW driving experience was myth. How wrong was I?!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
Possibly but the new S3 interior beats the R hands down IMO
And the F30s, the F10s and many other BMWs. So what?