E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede “For Dummies”

12-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

PROcede “For Dummies”

Although I love driving fast cars, my knowledge of all things mechanical is somewhat limited. I was wondering if anyone here might know the answers to the following two questions.

1) It is said that if you use a higher octane gasoline it is possible to increase the torque settings on PROcede V2.02. I would have thought the opposite.

Surely higher octane = more power = higher boost = need to decrease torque settings.

2) Having gone from V1.45 to V2.02 I have really noticed the decrease in low down torque. (My boost graph shows that I am boosting up to around 14.7 psi which is pretty close to the maximum recommended safety limit).

What I don’t understand is how did 1.45 safely have such massive low down torque and V2.02 can’t without exceeding safety limits (15 psi)?

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,

CaptOz
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

When you increase the Torque settings you are raising the boost, and as you said when you run higher octane you can run higher boost.

Also 1.47 had a boost spike that accounted for that initial Torque hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
When you increase the Torque settings you are raising the boost, and as you said when you run higher octane you can run higher boost.
I don't understand why higher boost is "safe" with higher octane. Is it a detonation issue? Surely higher boost (regarless of octane) places higher stresses on transmissions, cyclinders, etc?

Cheers,

CaptOz
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Yes, higher Octane will keep the car from Detonating. Therefore you can get away with more boost/timing.

Higher boost means more power which in turn means more stress on parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
I don't understand why higher boost is "safe" with higher octane. Is it a detonation issue? Surely higher boost (regarless of octane) places higher stresses on transmissions, cyclinders, etc?

Cheers,

CaptOz
Capt'n,

Higher RON fuel will allow you to run higher boost as there is less risk of premature detonation. Try some Vpower racing rather than the premium your using and see how much of a difference that makes in your car.

Higher TQ / HP regardless of how it is achieved places additional stress on the tranny, engine etc. That's probably one reason BMW left so much on the table with the 335.

What will really screw the tranny IMHO is high powered launches with too much TQ in the lower ranges. Unfortunately that instant kick in the pants you love also leads to wear & tear. Also given the over zealous nature of our fun police it makes using the high RPM power difficult.

I'm going to increase my settings 2% tonight to see what that does, mind you I normally only fill up with the Vpower racing fuel so I can get away with lifting them. As I installed my boost gauge on Friday night I'll be able to monitor the peak boost to ensure it all stays within okay range.

Regards,

S
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Higher RON fuel will allow you to run higher boost as there is less risk of premature detonation.
I thought that might be the case. It makes me wonder why V2.02 makes less low down torque than my old V1.45. Surely it should be the same if not more if V1.45 ran (pretty much) without any issues.

Quote:
Try some Vpower racing rather than the premium your using and see how much of a difference that makes in your car.
I’ve tried Vmax Race before with V1.45 but not yet with V2.02. I’ll fill up with it when I am next empty and hopefully see a nice increase in power.

Quote:
I'm going to increase my settings 2% tonight to see what that does, mind you I normally only fill up with the Vpower racing fuel so I can get away with lifting them.
I might try a 2% increase soon too. What boost maximum are you currently hitting on default Wopalx? I’m levelling out at around 14.7 PSI.

Quote:
As I installed my boost gauge on Friday night I'll be able to monitor the peak boost to ensure it all stays within okay range.
You installed your boost gauge without me???? Who did you have to hold your beer. Next time give me a call.

Cheers,

CaptOz
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Capt'Oz,

1.47 I believe had some boost spikes in the lower end of the map, as it was not driving both solenoids (remember we replaced those hoses & conencted up a few new wires when doing the install) hence the sudden hit on the butt dyno. V2 controls both solenoids so is smoother and works all the way to redline.

I look at it from a perspective of less TQ from 0klm's = happier tranny, diff & fractionally better tyre wear. Besides that extra TQ/HP for 1500-2000 RPM at the top is helpful, just ask the wanker motorbike wanting to race out of the hbr tunnel tonight

My boost has been no higher that 15psi on the gauge.

You have seen how I drive so I'm sure you would understand that my laptop does not live happily in the passenger seat solo.

Regarding the gauge my Mrs was crook on Friday night, so myself and a few bottles of wine made it out to the carport for gauge installation. Suffice to say I think I did a very good job given the consumption of booze

Am raising 2% this evening once the rug rats are tucked in, will hopefully beat the peak hour rush in the morning and get some decent pulls in.

Chat soon,

S
Appreciate 0